Anyone match PM&R with <500 COMLEX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D0ctor123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone matched into a PM&R residency with a <500 COMLEX score? I know PM&R has become increasingly competitive and wanted to be realistic about my chances. I just did not flat out perform on exam day and have no other red flags on my application. I have been doing well on rotations thus far. I have read that PM&R is one of the more forgiving specialities in terms of board scores. Any advice or insight is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My comlex 2 score was well below 500. My comlex 1 was in the 560s. Matched pm&r this cycle.

Kill comlex 2, apply broadly, see how many interviews you get. You probably still have a chance for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
I matched ACGME this cycle with Level 1 under 500, but scored well above 600 on Level 2. No USMLE.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice or insight is appreciated!

Have you checked the nrmp charting outcomes for your specific score in PM&R? (I think the lowest was right at 500 last year), but keep in mind this is just one factor. If you do absolutely nothing to compensate, then I would say you definitely have reason to worry.

Personally I think your chances are what you make them. Some programs do care excessively about the paper portion of your application, but others are looking for more than just numbers. Scores are important, but you can't change it now, so my advice is probably just stuff you already know:

1. Do better on the next exam.
2. Try to do PM&R rotation(s) / research and build a relationship at a non top-tier program.
3. Get LORs from physiatrists.
4. Buff up the rest of your CV as much as possible.
5. Be prepared to discuss your score, without any hesitation, whether in interviews or anywhere else. It's only a negative if you allow it to be. Don't even bother giving an excuse unless it's genuinely a unique/ life-altering type of issue, (eg major illness/ death in family- yes; result of being a human being- no), describe how seriously it affected you, mention multiple things that you learned from it, the changes that you made, what you did to ensure never repeating that mistake, and how you weren't going to let anything deter you from pursuing your ultimate goal of becoming a physician/ physiatrist.
6. Reassure yourself- you are still more competitive than say someone who failed it, or failed a year in school, IMGs, etc.
7. Get advice from multiple sources.

I hope this helps and good luck!

I matched ACGME this cycle with Level 1 under 500, but scored well above 600 on Level 2. No USMLE.

May I ask how many places you applied to and how many interviews you received?

I was wondering if anyone matched into a PM&R residency with a <500 COMLEX score? I know PM&R has become increasingly competitive and wanted to be realistic about my chances. I just did not flat out perform on exam day and have no other red flags on my application. I have been doing well on rotations thus far. I have read that PM&R is one of the more forgiving specialities in terms of board scores. Any advice or insight is appreciated!

I matched with <500 COMLEX for both Level 1 and 2 and no USMLE. Definitely not an ideal situation, but with a strong application strategy, it is doable. There were many times along the way I doubted myself and really considered applying to another specialty as a backup, but with the feedback I received from programs and the number of interviews I had (make sure you apply broadly), I felt confident I would match *somewhere* and it worked out.

PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Reactions: 1 user
My COMLEX I + II were both below 500 last year, no USMLE and another red flag. Did 4 aways, two physiatrist letters one from a doc very well known in the field and another who was an alum of the program I ended up matching at. Humbly, I would say interview very well so that helped. I applied very broadly and ended up with 10 interviews. No one ever asked me about my board scores and my other red flag I would spin into a positive. Wasn’t my top choice but hey I made it.

I applied to about 40 PM&R programs (no NY, CA, or FL - that's a bunch of programs), maybe 30 or so TY/Prelim. Got 10 PM&R interviews, 4 TY/Prelim - went to all of them.

I took COMLEX only and got 480->570. Didn't match first time around, but matched this season to a great program. Wasn't easy, but I worked hard to buff my application, killed my intern year, presented a poster, got outstanding LORs, did more PMR rotations, and kept great communication with all the programs. Definitely possible with enough ambition and perseverance.

Reactions: 2 users
My COMLEX I + II were both below 500 last year, no USMLE and another red flag. Did 4 aways, two physiatrist letters one from a doc very well known in the field and another who was an alum of the program I ended up matching at. Humbly, I would say interview very well so that helped. I applied very broadly and ended up with 10 interviews. No one ever asked me about my board scores and my other red flag I would spin into a positive. Wasn’t my top choice but hey I made it.

If you dont mine me asking, what region of the country did you end up matching in?