Anyone know how the VIRMP Scramble works?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfpacktwirler

NCSU Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Has anyone actually been informed what to expect if it so happens that you do not match to any place you applied and need to scramble to find a spot? I know that we are able to see the list of places with open positions, and that we can usually see their contact info and should contact them to try to fill that spot.

What I don't know is what paperwork I should have on hand - I assume CV, LOI, and maybe a copy of my transcripts? Also, do you need to fax things in or can you do this by email, etc?

Any helpful info is appreciated! I hope that I don't need to scramble, but I'd rather be more prepared than necessary! :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's my understanding that all programs with open positions are able to access your application (letters, CV, transcripts, everything you uploaded with the regular VIRMP application). VIRMP gives the institutions the names of all unmatched applicants and then they review your application and see if they want to make you an offer.

I think it would be a good idea for you to review all open positions and try and get in touch with the coordinator at those places that you are interested in. I think calling would be best, but some may prefer e-mail so maybe you could send them your entire VIRMP application summary so they can have it on hand while they review your e-mail. I'm not sure how many people have to scramble since the VIRMP doesn't post statistics... Hopefully you'll be able to get in touch with some people.

And I would most definitely get in touch with your mentors/letter writers and ask them to call places for you and anyone they know to make your presence more known and make you more competitive in the unmatched pool (hopefully).

Here's what the VIRMP website says:
Publication of Matched and Unmatched Candidate Names

The VIRMP will publish these lists after the match results have been released:

(a) A list of all matched applicants and the program to which they were matched.

(b) A list of all unmatched applicants, including their address, telephone number, and type of program to which they applied.

These lists will be provided to all participating institutions/private practices on the day match results are released. Other institutions or private practices may purchase the unmatched list beginning two weeks following the day match results are released. The purpose of publishing the list of unmatched applicants is to facilitate the placement of as many applicants as possible into training programs.

I hope you don't have to worry about this!!!

Good luck to everyone! Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day!

My understanding is that the above post is right if you checked the little release my info box if I don't match. If you didn't check it then it is up to you to forward your info. I would think send resume, cover letter, contact info for letters and an unofficial copy of your transcript if you can.

Hopefully none of us will need that info!

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple of my friends had to scramble last year. One thing to remember is that if a place doesn't match all of their open positions, there might be a really good reason. I can think of a university internship that matched 0 for 4 of their open slots last year, for example. It would be a good idea, if you need to scramble, to talk to your school's internship coordinator before you accept anything to make sure the program is a good fit for you, because s/he will have a good feel for a lot of the programs.

Good luck tomorrow, everyone!

A couple of my friends had to scramble last year. One thing to remember is that if a place doesn't match all of their open positions, there might be a really good reason. I can think of a university internship that matched 0 for 4 of their open slots last year, for example. It would be a good idea, if you need to scramble, to talk to your school's internship coordinator before you accept anything to make sure the program is a good fit for you, because s/he will have a good feel for a lot of the programs.

What university was that?

That's the flaw with the scramble... you could get a great place, or you could get a less-than-ideal spot.... and once you commit, you're locked into that spot. I talked with the speaker veterinarian at a seminar I attended recently, and he did not seem to be for it. He mostly cited the unfamiliarity of the potential internship (based on extending university, location, etc.) and the limited amount of time you have in which to make a decision that will dictate the next year or so of your life.

That's the flaw with the scramble... you could get a great place, or you could get a less-than-ideal spot.... and once you commit, you're locked into that spot.

Unfortunately that's the flaw with all internships, whether you match or scramble :( For what it's worth, all three of my friends who scrambled are all extremely happy in their internships and are applying for residencies at their internship sites.

Good luck on match day, everyone!

For what it's worth, all three of my friends who scrambled are all extremely happy in their internships and are applying for residencies at their internship sites.

Well thanks for the positive news! Nice to know it worked out for at least several people.