Anyone know correct citation of a book chapter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pedialyte

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

Sorry for posting this, but it'd be a big help if anyone knew the correct citation format for this. I'm not sure I'm doing my citation right for the publications section of ERAS. I've tried looking in MLA, online, etc., but I'm not sure I've got it right.

Here's what I've done so far (Vaccines is the title of the entire book; I only wrote a chapter in the book):

Name A, B Name. “Section of Book: chapter title.” Vaccines. 4th ed. Ed. Stanley Plotkin and Walter Orenstein. Philadelphia: W.B Saunders Company, 20xx.

If anyone knows anything about this, I would be greatful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everybody,

Sorry for posting this, but it'd be a big help if anyone knew the correct citation format for this. I'm not sure I'm doing my citation right for the publications section of ERAS. I've tried looking in MLA, online, etc., but I'm not sure I've got it right.

Here's what I've done so far (Vaccines is the title of the entire book; I only wrote a chapter in the book):

Name A, B Name. “Section of Book: chapter title.” Vaccines. 4th ed. Ed. Stanley Plotkin and Walter Orenstein. Philadelphia: W.B Saunders Company, 20xx.

If anyone knows anything about this, I would be greatful. Thanks!

I believe that one is pretty straight forward.

-Title of chapter goes in the title.
-Authors go in the authors. For the chapter editors put (Editor: XXXX) and put that after the list of authors of that chapter.
-In Journal Name insert the Book full name including edition and in brackets put (Published Book Chapter #)
-In the month and year, put the month and year of the published book (the latest edition you are on if the recent edition doesnt include you.)
-Leave volume and supplement empty since the book doesn't have those.

Someone else might have a better style. Good Luck.

Hmm... I think I'm close to understanding you. So you're saying the basic format I came up with is mostly right, except for a few things:

1) So I don't do the publishing city/company, etc.? Skip the Section title (the grouping of my chapter with some other ones).
2) Also, Plotkin and Orenstein were editors of the book as a whole (although I don't remember them changing anything in our chapter).
3) Then I need to add the month of publication.
4) Do I use quotes? I'm not even sure what ERAS lets me use.

Thanks so much for the help!
Pedialyte

-Authors go in the authors. For the chapter editors put (Editor: XXXX) and put that after the list of authors of that chapter.
-In Journal Name insert the Book full name including edition and in brackets put (Published Book Chapter #)
-In the month and year, put the month and year of the published book (the latest edition you are on if the recent edition doesnt include you.)

Hmm... I think I'm close to understanding you. So you're saying the basic format I came up with is mostly right, except for a few things:

1) So I don't do the publishing city/company, etc.? Skip the Section title (the grouping of my chapter with some other ones).
2) Also, Plotkin and Orenstein were editors of the book as a whole (although I don't remember them changing anything in our chapter).
3) Then I need to add the month of publication.
4) Do I use quotes? I'm not even sure what ERAS lets me use.

Thanks so much for the help!
Pedialyte

1) The publishing company and city are best placed in the Journal name, right after where you placed the edition.

2) I understand editors may not have changed much to your chapter, but they are editors and do have the final say. So I believe they need to be placed.

3) The month is truly optional. If you can't find it, go without it. Many publications are well known to be yearly, such HBP, which lists the abstracts accepted and presented in the yearly meeting of AHBPA.

4) You may use quotes for the title but I wouldn't if you didnt quote all the titles of all the other publications you have. They are unncessary. You aren't citing the book and more importantly adhering to one style is in your list of publications is beneficial to avoid confusion.