anyone know about to apply as a couple?

caligirl714

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know of the medical schools that allows you to apply as a couple? The only one i know of is university of michigan (on online secondary form). reason for asking is because I am newly engaged and am trying to get into same school as my fiance, also applying to med this year. (we have avg scores 29 & 32. gpa 3.8 & 3.6)

i know maybe one school or so would ask what would u do if u two didnt go to the same school...but i would it be considered bad to the schools if they found out about the engagement (like use it as a reason to say no?)

Thanks all. Good luck with apps and relationships. Take care. have a nice day

:D

Members don't see this ad.

I was in almost the exact same situation--trying to apply to med school together with my then-boyfriend, now-husband. We got engaged February of the year we were applying. I don't think there are any schools besides U. Michigan that will allow you to apply as a couple--but that doesn't mean you can't make them aware of your situation, particularly if one of you has been accepted to a school. If one of you is already accepted to a school and wants to go there, there's nothing at all wrong with calling and saying that you really want to go to that school, but your fiance is also applying and you two really want to be in the same geographic area. Admissions people are human--they understand about that. They aren't in the business of trying to separate couples. (You also have more traction since you're engaged than you would if you were just boyfriend/girlfriend--they're more likely to take you seriously). I think if you let them know about the situation--that you're engaged and you'd really like to be in the same area--they'll take that into account and there's a good chance they may let you both in. Admissions is such a crapshoot anyway, they're looking for ways to differentiate between candidates, and so if you're both reasonably qualified--and it sounds like your qualifications are pretty equal--then there's a good chance that if they take one of you they'll decide to take you both. In any case, it can't hurt to make them aware of the situation and ask. I think you've got a better chance of both getting into the same school if there's few or no other medical schools in the same area--in that case, they'll recognize that you've got few other options, and if they want one of you they'll have to take both. In a major metropolitan area with several med schools, the argument that they should take both of you because you want to be together won't hold as much weight, since there are several other schools you could go to. However, for precisely this reason your best strategy may be to apply only to major metropolitan areas with multiple medical schools. This is what me and my hubby ended up doing to maximize our chances of ending up together. We targeted NYC, because it has 6 medical schools--we figured there was a good chance we could each get into at least one of them. We also applied to schools in Boston, the DC area, and Chicago. As it turned out, we were really lucky and we both got into NYU, which was one of our top choices to begin with, and we're now MS2's there. My husband did let the school know in about December that we were going to be engaged, as long as I said yes (of course, I didn't know about that yet) but I don't get the impression that that really influenced their decision. Anyway, it worked out very well for us, but it was partly luck. We would have been happy as long as we could attend med school in the same city, which is why we concentrated on NYC because we felt we had the best chance there. I'd suggest you and your fiance try the same strategy, of applying to all of the medical schools in a given city/area and aiming for that, because you can't really guarantee that you'll get into the same school although you can try. I certainly don't think the fact that you're engaged will be looked upon negatively by the schools or used as a reason to reject you--and if you're lucky they may take it into account and decide to accept you both. In any case, it can't hurt to let them know the situation. Good luck!