Anyone interested in taking 3 year Pul/ciritical care fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Here is my situation.

I am supposed to start combined Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine fellowship in one of the prestigious east coast program from July 2012 but due to my limit of J 1 visa to 7 years I would not be able to begin this fellowship.Presently I am in 5th year of my J 1 visa and I have only 2 years left. I am looking for someone who would like to swap 2 year critical care or pulmonary medicine fellowship position with me so that I could complete my fellowship within the allowed training period on J 1 visa and you can have benefit of combined training.email me - [email protected]

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried asking your program to see if they could move you internally to a 2 year pulm or cc only track?

Have you tried asking your program to see if they could move you internally to a 2 year pulm or cc only track?

Unfortunately my program runs only combined pulmonary and critical care fellowship. They do not have pulmonary or critical care fellowship for 2 years and as per them ACGME does not allow them to tailor the 3 year program to 2 years.Anyways let me know if you come across anyone interested in the swapping or any suggestions.Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about a J-1 extension? In this case you may be able to extend the limit to 8 years to complete your fellowship. Have you discussed with ECFMG?

What about a J-1 extension? In this case you may be able to extend the limit to 8 years to complete your fellowship. Have you discussed with ECFMG?

As per ECFMG for the extension of J 1 visa to 8th year I will need a letter from my home country, India stating the exceptional need of the specality(PCM) in country. I applied for it and waited for this letter for almost 3 months and finally last week the health ministery of India refused to give this letter. Seems like only option left is swapping with 2 year program of pulmonary or critical care. I am late to sign a waiver job too at this point.Thanks for concern and let me know any other suggestions.

As per ECFMG for the extension of J 1 visa to 8th year I will need a letter from my home country, India stating the exceptional need of the specality(PCM) in country. I applied for it and waited for this letter for almost 3 months and finally last week the health ministery of India refused to give this letter. Seems like only option left is swapping with 2 year program of pulmonary or critical care. I am late to sign a waiver job too at this point.Thanks for concern and let me know any other suggestions.

I dont know if this will fly...but it just came to my mind.
In a 3 years program...how much research do you do? 1 year?
If u have 6month plus 6 months research possibility...u can work out with your program so that u spend the whole of your final year doing research to graduate. That can be done with a J1 research visa.

And just to make u feel better(?). U might not know....but generally...when u seek an extension over the 7 years limit(with ECFMG)....it is complicated when it comes to being granted a waiver. Unless u had plans of going back to India...I say u are better off being rejected by your ministry
http://www.ecfmg.org/evsp/evspeememo.pdf
(control F waiver and u will find what am referring to)

Good Luck

lol u gotta be kidding with me.
I am sure u forgot to pay the undocumented and hidden fee of a $1000.00 with the application. Unfortunately this is EXACTLY how things work in India (whether u like it or not). I have various examples of very recent past of govt officials bowing at you when you happen to be an expact waiving the green dollar bills.

I dont know if this will fly...but it just came to my mind.
In a 3 years program...how much research do you do? 1 year?
If u have 6month plus 6 months research possibility...u can work out with your program so that u spend the whole of your final year doing research to graduate. That can be done with a J1 research visa.

And just to make u feel better(?). U might not know....but generally...when u seek an extension over the 7 years limit(with ECFMG)....it is complicated when it comes to being granted a waiver. Unless u had plans of going back to India...I say u are better off being rejected by your ministry
http://www.ecfmg.org/evsp/evspeememo.pdf
(control F waiver and u will find what am referring to)

Good Luck

Thanks for your suggestion. will see if its possible. I am well aware that after extension of J 1 to 8th year I will have difficulty to get approval for waiver but I am like " Take it one day at a time'.Again thanks for your concern. I would get back to you if your idea works for me.

lol u gotta be kidding with me.
I am sure u forgot to pay the undocumented and hidden fee of a $1000.00 with the application. Unfortunately this is EXACTLY how things work in India (whether u like it or not). I have various examples of very recent past of govt officials bowing at you when you happen to be an expact waiving the green dollar bills.

"you gotta kidding me". I am getting this reaction from everyone when I tell them I did not get letter from India. I think what went wrong was that we approached too many people and you know internal politics in India. Too many cooks just spoil the broth !

Hey Ronnie,

i am also a resident going into fellowship this July. But I have a quick suggestion, why dont you ask your program that if its possible to finish the 2 years of fellowship; move on into your waiver job; finish that requirement and then if they allow it to return back to complete the 3rd year of fellowship...just a random thought.

Btw, I am on a j-1 too...so I can empathise with your situation...

Hey Ronnie,

i am also a resident going into fellowship this July. But I have a quick suggestion, why dont you ask your program that if its possible to finish the 2 years of fellowship; move on into your waiver job; finish that requirement and then if they allow it to return back to complete the 3rd year of fellowship...just a random thought.

Thank you so much for sharing your thought on this.Actually my program director is ok with me doing 2 years only and leave if I do not get letter of exceptional need from India that I would keep on trying again.I am hoprful that I will get it from India by hook or crook over the 2 years time but the real problem is that ECFMG is not letting me start the fellowship because as per ACGME the program duration is 3 years and I would not be able to complete it. They are not sponsering me the DS2019 for a fellowship that they know before that I can not complete.Thanks for your kind words.

Hey Ronnie,

Thank you so much for sharing your thought on this.Actually my program director is ok with me doing 2 years only and leave if I do not get letter of exceptional need from India that I would keep on trying again.I am hoprful that I will get it from India by hook or crook over the 2 years time but the real problem is that ECFMG is not letting me start the fellowship because as per ACGME the program duration is 3 years and I would not be able to complete it. They are not sponsering me the DS2019 for a fellowship that they know before that I can not complete.Thanks for your kind words.