anyone here work in corrections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Igor4sugry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone currently working or have worked in the past as a psychiatrist in a state or federal prison?
I'm in process of looking for my initial post residency job and prisons appeal not only because so many mentally ill are in our prisons but also due to higher salary and ability to do PSLF and other loan-forgiveness incentives.
--If anyone has worked in corrections in central Ohio or in Phoenix, AZ area would appreciate to hear about your experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

A big problem with corrections work is the malingering. Some patients are forced by fellow inmates to obtain certain drugs for them. Failing to do so can result in violence. Doesn't put the psychiatrist in a great position.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone currently working or have worked in the past as a psychiatrist in a state or federal prison?
I'm in process of looking for my initial post residency job and prisons appeal not only because so many mentally ill are in our prisons but also due to higher salary and ability to do PSLF and other loan-forgiveness incentives.
--If anyone has worked in corrections in central Ohio or in Phoenix, AZ area would appreciate to hear about your experiences.

It would be a good idea to moonlight at the place first before considering it as your full-time job. There are times where safety issues can be a very real concern, and facilities may not have your best interests in mind- you have to look out for your own safety, and advocate for it as necessary. For example, facilities often have limited staff, and accompanying physicians to units may not be a high priority on their list. There was a recent civil tort case against one of the big private corrections companies filed by a physician who was seriously assaulted by an inmate, after she had repeatedly asked for safety measures which were not provided. Additional issues include limited formularies as mentioned, balancing patient autonomy with the safety of other inmates, medication nonadherence with diversion of even routine psychotropics that are abused among inmates, and a high prevalence of malingering as mentioned earlier. Also PSLF might not always apply; depending on the state, some facilities are run by for-profit companies, because they are contracted out by the state, thus not qualifying as 501(c)3 entities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users