Anyone here feel like a peon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastball911

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I sit back and take in the numerous messages left on this site I can't help feeling like I'll never get in. Yesterday it was because my mediocre MCAT score of 31, and today it's because of my late AMCAS application. I'm afraid to come back tomorrow I might be worried about being a woman applicant!!! Anyway, I was just wondering if this site gave anyone else similar feelings?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm understand what you're going through. I also have the same "mediocre" score as you. I sent in my AMCAS application in August, but have really postponed my secondaries. I haven't received any interviews except for at my state school which interviews everyone. I'm also a woman, but I haven't been worrying about that yet. I'm afraid to look at this site because it makes me feel inferior. For example, I saw a post yesterday asking if all the interview invites have been sent out, and that worried me to death since I haven't gotten any interviews. Anyway, good luck to you and you are not alone! I'm still hopeful that I'll get in this late in the game, and hopefully you will too! I think we just need to stop reading SDN so much.

that's funny...
I didn't take the MCAT until August and I didn't get my AMCAS in until september I have gotten secondaries to all fifteen schools I applied too, but according to SDN I'm too late. Well, we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by fastball911
that's funny...
I didn't take the MCAT until August and I didn't get my AMCAS in until september I have gotten secondaries to all fifteen schools I applied too, but according to SDN I'm too late. Well, we'll see.

Too late? No way. I didn't even start interviewing until February and got in to my first choice school and accepted to more. Don't lose sleep over it.

What state are you from? I should think about moving there.

I got a 31 too. Late secondaries.

Let's hear it for the peons.

Hooray!!!
:clap:

I think I'm just in a good mood since I just posted all my D's. If you read that thread I'm sure it will make you feel better. Don't sweat guys, we are all in the same boat and we can just hope for the best in this completely random process. Don't let the overacheivers get you down. Many people with high MCAT scores get rejected too and some with lower get accepted.

This is awesome I already feel better!!! I should have posted my insecurities earlier. SDN is my new group therapy hahaha! Thanks for the posts.

hey! i got a 31...thats a damn good score.

but did you party up until the morning of the test? now thats the real question haha.:D

Hey citygirl,

I'm glad to hear of someone who interviewed late and got multiple acceptances. I believe you got accepted at UCSF, right? I'm applying there too as an out-of-state student. I just have a couple of questions for you. Were your acceptances from waitlists, or did you get any direct acceptances? Also, what was the timeline for your application (i.e. when applications complete, how long until interview invites). Thanks!

By the way, toomuch, I believe you are asking where I'm from. I'm from Arizona, and they interview everyone (about 450 applicants for a class of 110.) Pretty decent odds if you want to live in AZ.

Hey, one note for those of you wigging out: the only frosh at Yale Med from my undergrad had a 29mcat. Owns no buildings on campus. Only Ivy-like thing to him is that he likes golf. Oh, and he had an interview at the last minute (in March!) with one of the big shots at Yale, hit it off so well that the guy bought him lunch to continue their conversation.

So, all, smile and wait for serendipity to work its magic :cool:

I'm sorry to be realistic, but you probably should feel like a peon. Medicine is based on a hierarchy of senior status. You'll be grilled like none other as a rotation student, and you'll be grilling as a resident. All this while sleep deprived.

Dont' want to be a downer, but if you feel like a peon now, just wait until you're actually IN med school.

Originally posted by DoctorWannaBe
Hey citygirl,

I'm glad to hear of someone who interviewed late and got multiple acceptances. I believe you got accepted at UCSF, right? I'm applying there too as an out-of-state student. I just have a couple of questions for you. Were your acceptances from waitlists, or did you get any direct acceptances? Also, what was the timeline for your application (i.e. when applications complete, how long until interview invites). Thanks!

I submitted my AMCAS app end of July with the box checked that I still needed my MCAT scores. I can't remember when it was actually complete. I got a 31 on the MCAT, not great, but okay. I heard from UCSF and OHSU about a week before I had my scores (mid October?) and had my interviews in February. Both acceptances were direct, no waitlists. I had two interviews and two acceptances, but I only applied to a few schools.

I started a "questions about UCSF" thread here somewhere. You might want to revive it. Good Luck!

I'm feeling better/worse today!
Dean of ADs from U of Utah came today and the only thing that matters to utah is everything! They look for ways to disqualify rather than qualify applicants, but who cares if I get in there, right???
Anyway my Human Gross Anatomy professor found a questionable blob in my cadaver (about the size of a milk jug) and after dissecting it out he said it was the grossest thing he's ever seen in 26 years of experience, so that was cool!

As I sit back and take in the numerous messages left on this site I can't help feeling like I'll never get in. Yesterday it was because my mediocre MCAT score of 31
WHAT THE NONSENSE!!!!!!!
You got a 31 and think it's mediocre? Sad....:rolleyes:

Exactly!!!!
When I got my score back I was thrilled, but when I came to SDN they make it sound like I'll have to sleep with someone to get in.

I'm feeling better/worse today!
Dean of ADs from U of Utah came today and the only thing that matters to utah is everything! They look for ways to disqualify rather than qualify applicants, but who cares if I get in there, right???
Anyway my Human Gross Anatomy professor found a questionable blob in my cadaver (about the size of a milk jug) and after dissecting it out he said it was the grossest thing he's ever seen in 26 years of experience, so that was cool!

Forget the U of U, you're right. They are way into finding reasons to disqualify people. And since most of their applicants have eleventy million hours of volunteer work in a foreign county, they have to get really creative to do so. I am from Utah, I did not apply to Utah. I have had a lot of success with out of state schools, I would sugest you look for greener pastures.

I refuse to feel like a peon. I don't have the highest GPA around here, or the best MCAT scores, and I'm dangerously late getting my secondaries in, but I did my best and think I have a really good application overall. The biggest thing is, I know I would make a kickass doctor. No doubt about it. I'm pretty confident I'll get in somewhere, and if by some strange twist of fate I don't, it won't be because I wasn't good enough. If it wasn't meant to be, it wasn't meant to be. But I think most of us here seem to have a pretty good shot.

And a 31 is 7 points above the national average, 4 points above the average for all med school applicants, and 1 point above the average for matriculants. So it's nothing to be depressed about.

As I sit back and take in the numerous messages left on this site I can't help feeling like I'll never get in. Yesterday it was because my mediocre MCAT score of 31, and today it's because of my late AMCAS application. I'm afraid to come back tomorrow I might be worried about being a woman applicant!!! Anyway, I was just wondering if this site gave anyone else similar feelings?

A 31 is good! My advisor said that I should shoot for 30+ to get into med school. You'll be fine.

Exactly!!!!
When I got my score back I was thrilled, but when I came to SDN they make it sound like I'll have to sleep with someone to get in.

You can sleep with me! I'll get you into any medical school you want. BTW, that goes for any other cute fem pre-meds out there. ;)

where you offered an interview in feb..or offered in like dec for a Feb interview? Thanks