Anyone heard about clin. psych interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tayhill

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I applied to several (ok, a lot) of clinical psych PhD programs and I am now waiting to hear about interviews. Has anyone heard and, if so, from what schools? For past applicants, when did you hear about interviews? Also, does anyone know any other good discussion groups or forums for people in the middle of the application process?
Thanks,
Heather

Members don't see this ad.

SDN is the only quasi-active forum on clinical psychology. Until its visibility is increased, we have to rely on each other for input regarding the admissions process.

I think there is a clinical neuropsychology forum out there, but it's not active at all.

To answer your question, applications to clinical PhD programs affiliated with universities are typically reviewed in late January, interview offers are sent out in mid to late February, and admission offers are sent out shortly after interviews, which are usually held in March.

Hope this helps!

I appreciate the info. It definitely helps to hear from someone. My friends applying to med school have a lot of different forums to communicate with other applicants and I envy them that opportunity. I know I should just relax and wait and see, it's not as if I have any control over what happens, but it's hard when it's your future on the line!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you apply, tayhill?

Public Health,
I applied to a lot of schools, UCLA, Yale, Harvard, Duke, Boston, Temple, Northwestern, and Emory . . I have heard from UCLA and Duke, as of yesterday. Duke's interview is 1/31 and 2/1 and UCLA is 2/5,2/6 and 2/7. Good luck on your apps!

Hi,
here's some miscellaneous tips from someone in a PhD program in Clinical Psych and has been in two different schools:

- some profs will call you personally without warning you first - since you're applying to many schools keep a list of schools and profs/research that you're interested in by the phone, in case you get such a phone call

- during the interview be prepared to talk about your research experience and your research plans/ideas

- ask about their clinical training but don't appear clueless about information available on their website

- when visiting a school/professor, speak to the prof's current students - when you hear 'he's not that bad' get out of there

- ask about what students do after the program - research vs clinical work

- talk about funding you've applied for (external agencies) etc.

Originally posted by lazure
Hi,
here's some miscellaneous tips from someone in a PhD program in Clinical Psych and has been in two different schools:

- some profs will call you personally without warning you first - since you're applying to many schools keep a list of schools and profs/research that you're interested in by the phone, in case you get such a phone call

- during the interview be prepared to talk about your research experience and your research plans/ideas

- ask about their clinical training but don't appear clueless about information available on their website

- when visiting a school/professor, speak to the prof's current students - when you hear 'he's not that bad' get out of there

- ask about what students do after the program - research vs clinical work

- talk about funding you've applied for (external agencies) etc.

Very good suggestions........also, before your interview, try to look up articles written by your potential supervisors and your interviewers. Bring that up during the interview and tell thsoe people how you feel about their research. It is extremely impressive if you are able to do that. It definitely makes you stand out.

Remember to ask about a school's theoretical orientation too.

Hey! Congrats! I just heard from UCLA so we will probably bump into each other at the interviews :) Where are you flying from? I am really excited. I"ve applied to 10 schools and UCLA is the only one who's contacted me. A bit disappointed but 1 is better than 0! Grace

tayhill said:
Public Health,
I applied to a lot of schools, UCLA, Yale, Harvard, Duke, Boston, Temple, Northwestern, and Emory . . I have heard from UCLA and Duke, as of yesterday. Duke's interview is 1/31 and 2/1 and UCLA is 2/5,2/6 and 2/7. Good luck on your apps!

Hey, congratulations! UCLA has a great program. Btw, we have a whole thread on interviews called, not suprisingly, "interviews." Check it out and keep us posted on any news you get.

PsychMode said:
Hey, congratulations! UCLA has a great program. Btw, we have a whole thread on interviews called, not suprisingly, "interviews." Check it out and keep us posted on any news you get.

Guys, check the dates on these posts, they're from 2004 (and the interview dates for Duke and UCLA are wrong). Looks like someone did a search and replied to something incredibly old.

NoSleepThisYear said:
Guys, check the dates on these posts, they're from 2004 (and the interview dates for Duke and UCLA are wrong). Looks like someone did a search and replied to something incredibly old.

Yeah, two years ago! Good call.