Anyone have or consider a DHSc or ScD/DSc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPT_powelift

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Im close to finishing DPT school and was considering a PhD in order to pursue teaching. Now I have been gaining interested in a DHSc or ScD in physical therapy reason being they seem more suitable for PT’s who are working and want to do a more distance type of program that still has a dissertation component but is more on the clinical side of classwork. Anyone have any experience they are willing to share about these types of degree programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Following this post....I'm considering the same when I graduate especially, as you said, you can do this via distance while working. Interested in anyone's responses.

I'd stick with a PhD in a related field of interest. The others you mentioned are not the standards for tenure and are highly focused. Research participation is also limited compared to a PhD, dissertation or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
A few points that are putting me off from a PhD. Note that I have zero experience and this is just what I have gathered from reading online and talking to a few professors, so please correct me if I'm misinformed.

I've been looking at many different PhD programs and the majority wont really allow the time needed to gain experience as DPT. Most are trying to create professional researchers, people most likely to attain a tenured track. The other programs seem to aim to create research professionals as apposed to career researchers, people who are less likely capable of going up tenure track but still allow the possibility of a full time teaching position, with research and publication obligations.

Also another possibility is an EdD Education Doctorate, which one of my professors has who i believe is an associate professor.

I'm about done with my DSc; I chose this route as opposed to pursuing a PhD for a variety of reasons. Feel free to PM me for details or to answer any other questions.

Reactions: 1 user
It really depends on your professional goals, since these 2 degrees (i.e., PhD vs. DSc) are completely different. So rather than deciding between 2 degree options, I recommend you come up with your professional goals, and then see what educational path helps you meet your goals.

Reactions: 1 user
We really need both.

We need outcomes research oriented PhDs as well as basic science PhDs looking into neuroscience, neuroplasticity, cardiopulm, respiratory issues etc. I believe DSc. is teaching oriented without pure research like you were saying? Would that be for something geared more towards continuing ed. for the practice?

Last edited:
We really need both.

We need outcomes research oriented PhDs as well as basic science PhDs looking into neuroscience, neuroplasticity, cardiopulm, respiratory issues etc. I believe DSc. is teaching oriented without pure research like you were saying? Would that be for something geared more towards continuing ed. for the practice?

Was this directed towards me?
I do not know much about non PhD doctoral programs. I know that EdD or DSc are not eligible degrees for tenure track at my school (so probably a bunch of other schools as well). We require a 'terminal academic degree' for tenure-track, so PhD. Tenure track requires independent research, in addition to teaching. Clinical track requires participation in research (also a CAPTE requirement), but not independent research.
I had a student who could not move due to personal reasons. He was interested in research and so looked at online PhDs as well as a DSc. He ultimately decided that these degrees would not meet his professional goals as a clinician-scientist, working on clinical research (we have a team of about 5 or 6 PTs and faculty working on a team). My job was to prompt questions to see if it would meet his professional goals, and not give my opinion or make the decision for him....
For teaching, look at any faculty group for any PT program. There are lots teaching with a DPT and no advanced degree. I think that is acceptable for some faculty positions (not Department Chair though).