Anyone have or aware of updated (and referenced) spreadsheet of various tumor type alpha/betas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emt409

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear values thrown around all the time, but then I when I actually pull rad bio papers from the last 30 years, the ones everyone references are always wrong or from Hall, half of which is so out of date, it needs a complete re-write.

Members don't see this ad.

I hear values thrown around all the time, but then I when I actually pull rad bio papers from the last 30 years, the ones everyone references are always wrong or from Hall, half of which is so out of date, it needs a complete re-write.
It is possible that your question of "What are some various tumor type alpha/betas" may be as productive as asking "What are some various human waist sizes." I could give you a human waist size--32 inches--but if a guy walks in the door with a 40-inch waist, a 32-inch pair of pants would be the wrong fit. So, just like pants sizes, radiation doses may need to be tailored for each individual patient. And the only way to do that would be, in effect, (indirectly or directly) to measure the alpha/beta (or related metrics) for each individual tumor lineage per patient. I recall that one study quoted a tumor alpha/beta of (perhaps for NSCLC?) of 7 to 14, e.g.... I thought "Gee, that's helpful." Hall, I think, has something like 5 to 25 for quoted alpha/beta tumor ranges. Which is still not range-y enough.

Reactions: 1 user
It is possible that your question of "What are some various tumor type alpha/betas" may be as productive as asking "What are some various human waist sizes." I could give you a human waist size--32 inches--but if a guy walks in the door with a 40-inch waist, a 32-inch pair of pants would be the wrong fit. So, just like pants sizes, radiation doses may need to be tailored for each individual patient. And the only way to do that would be, in effect, (indirectly or directly) to measure the alpha/beta (or related metrics) for each individual tumor lineage per patient. I recall that one study quoted a tumor alpha/beta of (perhaps for NSCLC?) of 7 to 14, e.g.... I thought "Gee, that's helpful." Hall, I think, has something like 5 to 25 for quoted alpha/beta tumor ranges. Which is still not range-y enough.

Yes we all know tumors have wide range of alpha/betas -- prob highly variable based on mutational profile. This is why I'm trying to distill the information and stratify by relevant measurements people have taken, and create a useful, relevant, annotated reference.

To your point, groups have worked to create tumor culture assays that will generate a tumor specific alpha/beta ratio. Doubt it will ever scale up to a useful clinical tool anytime soon, but it's out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes we all know tumors have wide range of alpha/betas -- prob highly variable based on mutational profile. This is why I'm trying to distill the information and stratify by relevant measurements people have taken, and create a useful, relevant, annotated reference.

To your point, groups have worked to create tumor culture assays that will generate a tumor specific alpha/beta ratio. Doubt it will ever scale up to a useful clinical tool anytime soon, but it's out there.
It will not be not helpful. But... Just today I was reading a paper mentioning the uber-present B.E.D. (When dealing with various SBRT regimens/few doses/large dose sizes, just say outcomes correlate with total dose, guys: we get it, you can do basic math!). What if there were a SCLC alpha/beta study. We might find some clinical usefulness in knowing the alpha/beta of SCLC is 10, or has a range of 8-12. Which would then theoretically transfer into clinically meaningful ideas like 66/33/6.5weeks has more BED & better LC than 45/30/3weeks for LS-SCLC. But it doesn't; if anything, 45/30 looks clinically better. So a different factor is at play than pure alpha/beta-ness; tumor repopulation in between fractions maybe. Depending on what value you choose for T-pot, you can show 45/30/3weeks has more BED than 66/33/6.5 weeks (if T-pot is very low, and it probably is in SCLC, but no soi-disant radbio nerds seem that interested in time corrections and I don't know why). As I said, alpha/beta ranges are not unhelpful, and I am a big radbio fan. I just, personally, couldn't do much with a list of tumor alpha/betas except if I was 1) working with some dude who worshiped them and I needed to be his acolyte, or 2) I was trying to gorge on useless board trivia. I'm not as pessimistic as Ralph... but... make a list, it won't hurt.

Exceedingly difficult to determine alpha-beta ratios for human tissues because technically, the correct way to calculate them would require a wide range of fraction numbers and sizes, and also, a fairly fixed overall treatment time. That said, I attach a table of human alpha-beta ratios from one of my lectures, which I think is probably the best data we have on the subject (and even so, not all that great - look at some of those error bars!).

And while we're on the subject, as I read this thread, I'm noting a very common misconception, and that is that the alpha-beta ratios derived for tissues are related to those calculated from cell survival curves in vitro. There is NO relationship between the two; the alpha-betas for tissues that we use clinically as a metric for fractionation sensitivity are derived from multi-fractionation studies strictly in vivo, and not from cell survival curves in vitro. In other words, there is no reason to believe that an alpha-beta ratio calculated from a cell survival curve for hepatocytes would be the same as that derived clinically for the liver. Assuming that these are one in the same is a common error, and a misguided one at that.

Attachments

• Human alpha-beta ratios.pdf
    552.1 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: 3 users
Exceedingly difficult to determine alpha-beta ratios for human tissues because technically, the correct way to calculate them would require a wide range of fraction numbers and sizes, and also, a fairly fixed overall treatment time. That said, I attach a table of human alpha-beta ratios from one of my lectures, which I think is probably the best data we have on the subject (and even so, not all that great - look at some of those error bars!).

And while we're on the subject, as I read this thread, I'm noting a very common misconception, and that is that the alpha-beta ratios derived for tissues are related to those calculated from cell survival curves in vitro. There is NO relationship between the two; the alpha-betas for tissues that we use clinically as a metric for fractionation sensitivity are derived from multi-fractionation studies strictly in vivo, and not from cell survival curves in vitro. In other words, there is no reason to believe that an alpha-beta ratio calculated from a cell survival curve for hepatocytes would be the same as that derived clinically for the liver. Assuming that these are one in the same is a common error, and a misguided one at that.

Thank you, this is a great start and exactly what I was looking for.

A couple questions/observations from the back of the room...
1) This list is about as helpful as a list of average human waist sizes, with ranges.
2) Normal tissues have tighter α/β ranges than tumors. "In general, cells from a given normal tissue show a narrow range of radiosensitivities if many hundreds of people are studied... By contrast, cells from human tumors show a very broad range of D-zero values" (Hall, 6th ed, p38). (Sorry for the outdated edition. I took radbio a long time ago.)
3) You say: "There is no reason to believe that an alpha-beta ratio calculated from a cell survival curve for hepatocytes would be the same as that derived clinically for the liver. Assuming that these are one in the same is a common error, and a misguided one at that." However, in Hall 6th ed. this cool little story is also on page 38:

The first in vitro survival curve was reported in 1956 and generated great excitement in the field of radiobiology. It was thought that at last, with a quantitative system available to relate absorbed dose with surviving fraction of cells, great strides would be made in understanding the effect of ionizing radiation on biologic materials. In particular, it was anticipated that significant contributions would be made toward understanding radiotherapeutic practice. This enthusiasm was not shared by everyone. Some researchers were skeptical that these in vitro techniques, which involved growing cells in petri dishes in very artificial conditions, would ever benefit clinical radiotherapy. The fears of these skeptics were eloquently voiced by F. G. Spear in the MacKenzie Davidson Memorial Lecture given to the British Institute of Radiology in 1957:
An isolated cell in vitro does not necessarily behave as it would have done if left in vivo in normal association with cells of other types. Its reactions to various stimuli, including radiations, however interesting and important in themselves, may indeed be no more typical of its behavior in the parent tissue than Robinson Crusoe on his desert island was representative of social life in York in the mid-seventeenth century.
The appropriate answer to this charge was given by David Gould, then professor of radiology at the University of Colorado. He pointed out that the in vitro culture technique measured the reproductive integrity of cells and that there was no reason to suppose that Robinson Crusoe's reproductive integrity was any different on his desert island from what it would have been had he remained in York; all that Robinson Crusoe lacked was the opportunity. The opportunity to reproduce to the limit of their capability is afforded to cells cultured in vitro if they find themselves in the petri dish, with temperature and humidity controlled and with an abundant supply of nutrients.
At the time, it required a certain amount of faith and optimism to believe that survival curves determined with the in vitro technique could be applied to the complex in vivo situation. Such faith and optimism were completely vindicated, however, by subsequent events. When techniques became available to measure cell survival in vivo, the parameters of the dose-response relationships were shown to be similar to those in vitro.

(Underline emphasis mine.) So how does what's in Hall square with your claim, or am I missing perhaps a finer point?

EDIT #4: Re: your list, one the most "sought after " alpha/betas is the cord and CNS alpha/beta. I agree it's <3.3 as on your list although I guess more updated research puts this at 2. At the end of the day, if you go with 2, your tendency to avoid late CNS effects in designing novel (hypo)fractionation schemes will be more conservative. If 3, that tendency will be a little less conservative. And to wit, that tendency can vary a bit with 2 vs. 3 in one's calcs, so it'd be awfully nice if we could know that actual value in an actual patient (versus a class solution, a list, a 95% confidence interval for a population, etc. etc.).

Last edited:
1) This list is about as helpful as a list of average human waist sizes, with ranges.
2) Normal tissues have tighter α/β ranges than tumors. "In general, cells from a given normal tissue show a narrow range of radiosensitivities if many hundreds of people are studied... By contrast, cells from human tumors show a very broad range of D-zero values" (Hall, 6th ed, p38). (Sorry for the outdated edition. I took radbio a long time ago.)
3) You say: "There is no reason to believe that an alpha-beta ratio calculated from a cell survival curve for hepatocytes would be the same as that derived clinically for the liver. Assuming that these are one in the same is a common error, and a misguided one at that." However, in Hall 6th ed. this cool little story is also on page 38:

The first in vitro survival curve was reported in 1956 and generated great excitement in the field of radiobiology. It was thought that at last, with a quantitative system available to relate absorbed dose with surviving fraction of cells, great strides would be made in understanding the effect of ionizing radiation on biologic materials. In particular, it was anticipated that significant contributions would be made toward understanding radiotherapeutic practice. This enthusiasm was not shared by everyone. Some researchers were skeptical that these in vitro techniques, which involved growing cells in petri dishes in very artificial conditions, would ever benefit clinical radiotherapy. The fears of these skeptics were eloquently voiced by F. G. Spear in the MacKenzie Davidson Memorial Lecture given to the British Institute of Radiology in 1957:
An isolated cell in vitro does not necessarily behave as it would have done if left in vivo in normal association with cells of other types. Its reactions to various stimuli, including radiations, however interesting and important in themselves, may indeed be no more typical of its behavior in the parent tissue than Robinson Crusoe on his desert island was representative of social life in York in the mid-seventeenth century.
The appropriate answer to this charge was given by David Gould, then professor of radiology at the University of Colorado. He pointed out that the in vitro culture technique measured the reproductive integrity of cells and that there was no reason to suppose that Robinson Crusoe's reproductive integrity was any different on his desert island from what it would have been had he remained in York; all that Robinson Crusoe lacked was the opportunity. The opportunity to reproduce to the limit of their capability is afforded to cells cultured in vitro if they find themselves in the petri dish, with temperature and humidity controlled and with an abundant supply of nutrients.
At the time, it required a certain amount of faith and optimism to believe that survival curves determined with the in vitro technique could be applied to the complex in vivo situation. Such faith and optimism were completely vindicated, however, by subsequent events. When techniques became available to measure cell survival in vivo, the parameters of the dose-response relationships were shown to be similar to those in vitro.

(Underline emphasis mine.) So how does what's in Hall square with your claim, or am I missing perhaps a finer point?

Just wanted to point out that 8 Gy x1 could indue 50% of tumor cells ( and decent amount of normal tissue) undergo cellular senescence (which in vivo can activate immunological pathways to eliminate themselves) These cells would not appear dead, and can be very difficult to distinguish from normal tumor cells. How would alpha beta modeling account for this? Also, they can escape from senescence years later.

EDIT #4: Re: your list, one the most "sought after " alpha/betas is the cord and CNS alpha/beta. I agree it's <3.3 as on your list although I guess more updated research puts this at 2. At the end of the day, if you go with 2, your tendency to avoid late CNS effects in designing novel (hypo)fractionation schemes will be more conservative. If 3, that tendency will be a little less conservative. And to wit, that tendency can vary a bit with 2 vs. 3 in one's calcs, so it'd be awfully nice if we could know that actual value in an actual patient (versus a class solution, a list, a 95% confidence interval for a population, etc. etc.).

I think you might have missed (part of) my point. First off, in the example you provided, Eric was talking about cell survival curves, "acute", single dose survival curves, and not multifraction survival curves. Second, the portion you underlined refers to the radiosensitivity of individual cell types assayed both in vitro and in vivo, not the clinical response of a tissue as a whole for different fractionation schedules, e.g., the spleen colony assay, where mouse spleens served as surrogate petri dishes to count colonies of bone marrow stem cells. In that case, yes, the bone marrow survival curve was the same whether the "petri dish" was an actual petri dish (in vitro), or a spleen (in vivo), however you really can't apply this to say, the dose response for lung fibrosis a year after radiotherapy, which obviously is going to involve multiple interactions between multiple types of lung cells.

As for your comment about (human) CNS alpha-beta ratios, yes, it would certainly be helpful if there was a more robust value than one with a large confidence interval, but good luck with that...I mean, unless you're willing to treat a bunch of patients with anywhere from 1 to 65 fractions of anywhere from 1 to 25 Gy/fraction, and then follow them for years assessing when and if your endpoint (a certain probability of transverse myelitis for example, or maybe brain necrosis) was reached. Or else, treat a single patient with the field subdivided into up to 65 different "postage stamps", and treat each one with a different fractionation scheme.

Just wanted to point out that 8 Gy x1 could indue 50% of tumor cells ( and decent amount of normal tissue) undergo cellular senescence (which in vivo can activate immunological pathways to eliminate themselves) These cells would not appear dead, and can be very difficult to distinguish from normal tumor cells. How would alpha beta modeling account for this? Also, they can escape from senescence years later.
There is this picture in Hall of 100 chinese hamster cells plated in a petri dish. The irradiated cells grew 70 colonies in a week in the dish. Plating efficiency = P.E.=70/100 or 70% for normal cells. Another dish of 2000 cells received 8 Gy dose. After a week, it grew 32 colonies. It had a surviving fraction, S.F., of 32/(2000*P.E.), or 0.023. Then you can plot this S.F. for varying doses on a log plot. The part that is curvy, the shoulder, is actually linear (on a non-log plot). That's the alpha component. Then as dose increases, the curve becomes straight on the log plot: cells are dying exponentially/quadratically. This is the beta component. (So called linear quadratic curve.) There is a part on the curve where alpha and beta components, numerically, are equal. That's all alpha/beta is. It's a single metric of cellular radiosensitivity. I think that's helpful info to know. What proportion of cells get senescent, etc., from XRT is helpful too. But that doesn't detract from alpha/beta itself. In my opinion. However, alpha/beta's are so widely variable person-to-person's tumor it is tough to use clinically in any individualized fashion. But for group decisions, or hypotheses: helpful. But look at MadamCurie's tumor alpha/betas. Technically, mathematically, from that list the average human tumor alpha/beta is infinity. Which I supppose hints at the fact that fraction size is irrelevant for tumor LC; only total delivered dose counts. See, even goofy alpha/betas can be helpful (at least for mental masturbation). But if a tumor is controlled with a single 20 Gy dose, I don't think we need to leap right to senescence or immune effects or vascular effects. A more plausible explanation, to me, is: the ablated tumor had a lower alpha/beta instead of a very high alpha/beta and responded well to the very high fraction size.

We generally delivery uniform XRT doses, in SBRT/SRS/standard radiotherapy, from patient to patient. However, and it is never stated anywhere I have ever seen, the B.E.D. varies widely from patient to patient with uniform radiotherapy doses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user