Anyone have experience with unions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meerkatology

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
basically there's been alot of (negative) changes to our hospitalist group and everyone is unhappy. a number of people are in the process of forming a union to negotiate.

has any1 actually been in a union? im mainly concerned if having been in a union will affect my job search in the future. I dont really care about my current job, but more concerned about its effect on future jobs if any.

like can employers find out that you've been in one?

Members don't see this ad.

basically there's been alot of (negative) changes to our hospitalist group and everyone is unhappy. a number of people are in the process of forming a union to negotiate.

has any1 actually been in a union? im mainly concerned if having been in a union will affect my job search in the future. I dont really care about my current job, but more concerned about its effect on future jobs if any.

Interesting.

I don't think it's that easy to just 'form' a union.

Traditionally, doctors have been deterred from joining unions by paying them well and putting sushi in the doctor's lounge. Of course, such niceties have their limits.

Doctors themselves also don't like getting involved in unions, b/c we're so damn tired after college, med school, residency, fellowships . . . we just want to practice with no politics nor drama (and we all know how political unions can be).

Can you share details? am curious. (stuff like this usually makes the new, local at least)

Reactions: 1 user

It wont impact your future job search at all, go for it. Remember when you got your current job? Nowhere in the process would it have been legal or even normal to ask about unions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting.

I don't think it's that easy to just 'form' a union.

Traditionally, doctors have been deterred from joining unions by paying them well and putting sushi in the doctor's lounge. Of course, such niceties have their limits.

Doctors themselves also don't like getting involved in unions, b/c we're so damn tired after college, med school, residency, fellowships . . . we just want to practice with no politics nor drama (and we all know how political unions can be).

Can you share details? am curious. (stuff like this usually makes the new, local at least)
was looking it up, it looks like they want to join an already existing union in the area. not form their own

It's not a problem for a future job. If you're the actual organizer that could be an issue if it gets lots of press. But if you're just a face in the crowd, then if you have a union you need to participate.

The situation you describe is complicated. To unionize, you need to be an employee of a company. Nt clear from your OP whether you're employed by a hospital, or if you're part of a private hosp group (in which case a union probably wont fix anything). the process is long and you need to do it correctly. And then you're stuck with union dues and rules. And you;ll need to decide whether a strike is an option.

was looking it up, it looks like they want to join an already existing union in the area. not form their own
Yeah, nobody just forms a union out of whole cloth anymore. They will join an existing parent/sponsor union such as AFL/CIO or Teamsters and will become a chapter of that.

The grad students at the state university system where I did my PhD were all unionized and our sponsoring union was the UAW, which was weird as hell, but whatever.