Anyone have any recs for portable anesthesia machines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ignatius J

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

s-l640.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What features do you want? Nitrous? Air? Vent? Low flow? 1 vaporizer ok?

I personally have the VS02 but I use nitrous. Oceanic Magellan is military grade so probably more rugged.

Reactions: 1 users
What features do you want? Nitrous? Air? Vent? Low flow? 1 vaporizer ok?

Definitely vent. It would be for office-based anesthesia. Nitrous/air/vaporizer capability is good but may just do a TIVA. Would like closed-system capability.

It would be for a moonlighting deal. There is a lot of coin on the table in my area at these office-based surgeries for plastics, dental, and other specialties.

I’m getting older and slower. If I built up a regular schedule and could kiss more 3am AAA calls goodbye, it would be nice. But just in the beginning parts of probing.

Definitely vent. It would be for office-based anesthesia. Nitrous/air/vaporizer capability is good but may just do a TIVA. Would like closed-system capability.

It would be for a moonlighting deal. There is a lot of coin on the table in my area at these office-based surgeries for plastics, dental, and other specialties.

I’m getting older and slower. If I built up a regular schedule and could kiss more 3am AAA calls goodbye, it would be nice. But just in the beginning parts of probing.
I don’t think there is one machine that does it all. The Oceanic Magellan is the only one with an option for an integrated ventilator I believe. You can buy a separate ventilator for the DRE VS02. Most of the vents are going to be crude and pneumatic so its gonna eat up your oxygen supply. VS02 is the only one with nitrous which is good for peds and dental. Dental offices vary in what gas supplies they have. They may have oxygen and nitrous plumbed in to the wall. They might just have E cylinders. They will not have air so that is something to consider.

If you get yourself Dodge cargo van, I’m sure just about any anesthesia machine will fit in there.

I’m not in the market myself, but would be curious to know roughly how much each of these is going for… $5000? $10,000? $50,000?

These have been linked before but here are some “how to” videos.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not in the market myself, but would be curious to know roughly how much each of these is going for… $5000? $10,000? $50,000?
I paid around 8700USD in 2010 for the DRE VSO2. Not sure about current prices

Reactions: 2 users
Things I don’t want to hear before my surgery:

“Hey, we just got a great deal on this Chinese anesthesia machine from the outlet!”

Reactions: 3 users
... Even came with a 30 day worry free guarantee, but you’d have to pay return shipping.

• Haha
Among others...

Jeez, just watch...you buy it...its actually a toy model. I do dream about getting my own portable anesthesia machine. A portable surgical suite on one of those modified leisure vans outfitted with a generator for power, few large O2 tanks, anesthesia machine, OR lights.......nah...too much work. Honestly a propofol pump and portable ventilator will probably be more space saving.

Jeez, just watch...you buy it...its actually a toy model. I do dream about getting my own portable anesthesia machine. A portable surgical suite on one of those modified leisure vans outfitted with a generator for power, few large O2 tanks, anesthesia machine, OR lights.......nah...too much work. Honestly a propofol pump and portable ventilator will probably be more space saving.
TIVA is more portable but its nice to have options. If you are doing peds, vapour is certainly convenient unless you want to give every kid an IM.

Honestly, anesthesiologists owning the assets gives leverage and flexibility to the specialty, provided corners aren’t cut and vigilance is maintained. I do a lot of surgeries where patients are charged a hospital facility fee to essentially use an anesthesia machine. It doesn’t have to be that way.

Honestly, anesthesiologists owning the assets gives leverage and flexibility to the specialty, provided corners aren’t cut and vigilance is maintained. I do a lot of surgeries where patients are charged a hospital facility fee to essentially use an anesthesia machine. It doesn’t have to be that way.

Back in the Wild West 1990’s, some practices (Allied in Orange County and Carson City group) required that you buy your own machines and carts. You could set them up however you liked and you wheeled all the gear from room to room between cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Used one of those deployed on an aircraft carrier in 2000. Very compact and space-efficient. Took care of business with no issues.
It would be my choice for office based with a ‘parked’ machine that I wouldn’t have to carry