Anyone get in with 18aa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Illstartmydiet2maro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone get into somewhere with an 18AA from last cycle? List the school and gpa if u did!? Especially cali schools

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Two friends of mine did, not to cali schools tho. One had a great GPA probably >3.75 the other had a more average one 3.45-3.5ish.

These days it's just not that likely unless you have ALL of the following on your side: a near perfect gpa and jaw-dropping ECs, are some type of minority, apply super early to 15-20 of the easiest and most expensive schools out there (but at that point it's not worth it to get into...), and somehow have no sections under 17.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get into somewhere with an 18AA from last cycle? List the school and gpa if u did!? Especially cali schools
someone I know did 2 years ago BUT with 3.8+ GPA, excellent everything else, research etc etc. Very rare though.

yes, but usually to the more notable programs. Nevertheless, there is always a chance at most places you apply given the rest of your app is on point.

Yes. I bought the AADSAS guide to dental schools this year and in it is has the ranges of DAT scores of accepted people. All schools have accepted 18s some, like Tufts and many others have even accepted 16s. Dont get freaked out. I am in the same boat as you 18AA and I was panicking, but I looked at that book and it made me feel better. My GPA is also average 3.3. People will probably post on here that I have no chance of getting in but it all depends on how you sell yourself through your personal statement, letter of recommendations etc. You got it!

Yes. I bought the AADSAS guide to dental schools this year and in it is has the ranges of DAT scores of accepted people. All schools have accepted 18s some, like Tufts and many others have even accepted 16s. Dont get freaked out. I am in the same boat as you 18AA and I was panicking, but I looked at that book and it made me feel better. My GPA is also average 3.3. People will probably post on here that I have no chance of getting in but it all depends on how you sell yourself through your personal statement, letter of recommendations etc. You got it!
That book is amazing. I borrowed it for a day from my health adviser and Ive been meaning to buy it still even though Im so tired of looking into schools. Which is what Ive been doing for like 2 weeks

I don't care what anyone on these forums say, almost every single dental school has an AA that ranges all the way down to 16, so I'm sure plenty of people get accepted with an 18AA.

Reactions: 4 users
In the end 19AA -20AA is like average admitted score so I'm sure you can get accepted. SDN people tend to have higher scores and to wanna achieve more (same here lol) but im sure many people get in with 18AA. 16AA seems a little low considering that's average for like all test takers. But u never know...

Reactions: 1 users
I got in with an 18AA. Science gpa was 3.7. Got into dental college of ga.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From my experience around dental students, it's not about the school but the applicant when it comes to lower DATs.

I got accepted to one dental school and placed in the alternate pool of two others with a 17AA, an overall GPA of 3.2 and Science GPA of 2.75. All I had going for me was having 100+ shadowing hours, extensive volunteer work, a year of research, graduated early and I worked during undergrad. I had someone contact me with a 23AA that got rejected without interview. There are many factors that go into getting accepted.

I will also add that I had a 15 in two of the subsections of the DAT. Organic Chemistry and Quantitative Reasoning. I got accepted at WVU, and placed in the alternate pool at Marquette and the University of Illinois at Chicago.

I got accepted to one dental school and placed in the alternate pool of two others with a 17AA, an overall GPA of 3.2 and Science GPA of 2.75. All I had going for me was having 100+ shadowing hours, extensive volunteer work, a year of research, graduated early and I worked during undergrad. I had someone contact me with a 23AA that got rejected without interview. There are many factors that go into getting accepted.

I will also add that I had a 15 in two of the subsections of the DAT. Organic Chemistry and Quantitative Reasoning.
that's crazy although I'd say you had other parts of app that must have stood out besides numbers. are you in dental school now?

that's crazy although I'd say you had other parts of app that must have stood out besides numbers. are you in dental school now?
I had to turn down my acceptance at WVU for personal reasons, so I'm applying again this year. Thankfully, I know the whole process now, so it isn't as nerve-wracking.

I had to turn down my acceptance at WVU for personal reasons, so I'm applying again this year. Thankfully, I know the whole process now, so it isn't as nerve-wracking.
ur stats are the same?

ur stats are the same?
Yep. I opted to hold off on retaking the DAT, since I have already taken it twice and got a 17 both times. I've just obtained more shadowing hours, Basic Life Support Certification, added volunteer experience and actively been employed since I graduated back in December. It was my strong point in the previous application cycle, so I improved it for this one. Although, when I applied last year, my GPA was lower (2.5 Science GPA and 3.1 Overall), so I guess that changed as well.

Yep. I opted to hold off on retaking the DAT, since I have already taken it twice and got a 17 both times. I've just obtained more shadowing hours, Basic Life Support Certification, added volunteer experience and actively been employed since I graduated back in December. It was my strong point in the previous application cycle, so I improved it for this one. Although, when I applied last year, my GPA was lower (2.5 Science GPA and 3.1 Overall), so I guess that changed as well.
I admire your bravery.
:wow:

again...the majority of people applying to dental schools are not on SDN...probably the people with the highest scores are on SDN lol. there are LOTS of people getting into schools with AA18-20. Most people that get in dental school have 20. Nowadays people on SDN say 20 is not high enough. However, scores haven't changed much. people scored 25's 20 years ago so really it's just all the people with high scores that are to some extent discouraging people that have average admitted to dental school DAT.

Reactions: 4 users
again...the majority of people applying to dental schools are not on SDN...probably the people with the highest scores are on SDN lol. there are LOTS of people getting into schools with AA18-20. Most people that get in dental school have 20. Nowadays people on SDN say 20 is not high enough. However, scores haven't changed much. people scored 25's 20 years ago so really it's just all the people with high scores that are to some extent discouraging people that have average admitted to dental school DAT.

I still believe it is pot luck to get an interview with below 3.0 sGPA and a 17AA with a 15 in OC. Its asanine to decline acceptance and reapply. The only thing I can think of is that this applicant is a URM, because the 3.0 is cause for no interviews imo.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I still believe it is pot luck to get an interview with below 3.0 sGPA and a 17AA with a 15 in OC. Its asanine to decline acceptance and reapply. The only thing I can think of is that this applicant is a URM, because the 3.0 is cause for no interviews imo.

true. i mean he had his reasons but oh yeah i would take the offer and start sprinting haha. there's no way...id be too scared to turn down who knows they might really not like that. i mean that school won't ever grant you acceptance again

I am reapplying, but not to the same school that I rejected the offer from. Circumstances were ideal when I first applied, but the situation changed when it came time to make decisions on offers was all. It's not like I rejected the offer, then turned around and applied to the school again. I'm only reapplying to the ones I was placed in the alternate pool for. The rest of the schools are entirely different ones.

I am reapplying, but not to the same school that I rejected the offer from. Circumstances were ideal when I first applied, but the situation changed when it came time to make decisions on offers was all. It's not like I rejected the offer, then turned around and applied to the school again. I'm only reapplying to the ones I was placed in the alternate pool for. The rest of the schools are entirely different ones.

What have you done to make yourself a stronger applicant? Because your stats are well below the average. Are you a URM?

What have you done to make yourself a stronger applicant? Because your stats are well below the average. Are you a URM?

I have gained certifications, added to my dental shadowing hours (which were already above 100 hours), continued volunteering (which I had upwards of 300 verified hours), added to my employment history, and changed my letters of recommendation from 2 science professors and 2 employers to 2 science professors, 1 dentist and an employer. Also, when I last applied, my GPA was marginally lower. It increased with my last semester of college. And no, I am not an underrepresented minority applicant. Again, stats are not everything. And during one of my open-file interviews, they seemed rather impressed with my personal statement. The little things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have gained certifications, added to my dental shadowing hours (which were already above 100 hours), continued volunteering (which I had upwards of 300 verified hours), added to my employment history, and changed my letters of recommendation from 2 science professors and 2 employers to 2 science professors, 1 dentist and an employer. Also, when I last applied, my GPA was marginally lower. It increased with my last semester of college. And no, I am not an underrepresented minority applicant. Again, stats are not everything. And during one of my open-file interviews, they seemed rather impressed with my personal statement. The little things.

Wow, you're inspiring! Does that mean I would maybe have a chance at getting in with AA 18, TS 18, PAT 23, 19 BIO, 18 GC, 15 OC, 20 QR, 19 RC, 3.15 oGPA, 2.9 sGPA with 100+ shadowing/volunteer hours? I'm conflicted whether I should hold off and do post-bacc but would really like to apply this cycle. Any feedback is helpful, thank you!

I don't want to be discouraging, but it sounds like your stats were your biggest issue and you haven't done anything to improve them. On top of that you've now been accepted to a dental school and rejected that offer, which is going to make a lot of schools question how interested in dentistry you really are. At this point I think it's only going to get more difficult for you next cycle, not easier. Will you be applying to different schools?

I don't want to be discouraging, but it sounds like your stats were your biggest issue and you haven't done anything to improve them. On top of that you've now been accepted to a dental school and rejected that offer, which is going to make a lot of schools question how interested in dentistry you really are. At this point I think it's only going to get more difficult for you next cycle, not easier. Will you be applying to different schools?
Schools ask why it is that you turned down offers previously, and I'm more than happy to share with them why it was the case. I am certain they will agree that it was for the best. It's a simple issue that affected me at that one school in particular (of course it had to be the one I got accepted into) and none others. I am aware this process will be more difficult, but I have stated that my GPA, shadowing and other experiences have changed since the last process.

Not sure if you missed some of my posts in here. I merely meant by my first message here that, when I first applied, my GPA was a 2.75 in science. After my graduation from college (and after I already had offers) it rose to 3.01. My final semester was max credit hours, all science. They considered me with my low GPA because my GPA took a hit for two semesters early on in college (all Cs), but was consistently good past that. It showed that there was an issue that I got past that I have grown from and showed that I can actually do well academically. If I consistently got Cs all through college, there may have been a bit of an issue there. Plus I had As or Bs in all their required courses. It was the elective science courses that kind of wrecked my GPA early on, like inorganic chemistry (not general chemistry), biochemistry and neurology.

I just want people to know that it is possible to get accepted with non-ideal scores because the schools have stated that they don't just want smart people, they want people they get along with. These are the students that they will have for at least four years, so they want people who have done work that shows good character. You can have a weakness in part of the application and get in, so long as you are extremely strong in another important field. Keep in mind, if the school's average DAT score is a 20, that means people did better than that, people did the same as that, or people did worse than that. The people who did better got in the same as the people who did worse than that. I know someone at SIU got accepted with a 16 on his DAT, but he had more than 2000 volunteer hours. So, to tie back to the original post, I think an 18 is definitely good enough to apply with so long as you've got some volunteer work, shadowing and extracurriculars.

Schools ask why it is that you turned down offers previously, and I'm more than happy to share with them why it was the case. I am certain they will agree that it was for the best. It's a simple issue that affected me at that one school in particular (of course it had to be the one I got accepted into) and none others. I am aware this process will be more difficult, but I have stated that my GPA, shadowing and other experiences have changed since the last process.

Not sure if you missed some of my posts in here. I merely meant by my first message here that, when I first applied, my GPA was a 2.75 in science. After my graduation from college (and after I already had offers) it rose to 3.01. My final semester was max credit hours, all science. They considered me with my low GPA because my GPA took a hit for two semesters early on in college (all Cs), but was consistently good past that. It showed that there was an issue that I got past that I have grown from and showed that I can actually do well academically. If I consistently got Cs all through college, there may have been a bit of an issue there. Plus I had As or Bs in all their required courses. It was the elective science courses that kind of wrecked my GPA early on, like inorganic chemistry (not general chemistry), biochemistry and neurology.

I just want people to know that it is possible to get accepted with non-ideal scores because the schools have stated that they don't just want smart people, they want people they get along with. These are the students that they will have for at least four years, so they want people who have done work that shows good character. You can have a weakness in part of the application and get in, so long as you are extremely strong in another important field. Keep in mind, if the school's average DAT score is a 20, that means people did better than that, people did the same as that, or people did worse than that. The people who did better got in the same as the people who did worse than that. I know someone at SIU got accepted with a 16 on his DAT, but he had more than 2000 volunteer hours. So, to tie back to the original post, I think an 18 is definitely good enough to apply with so long as you've got some volunteer work, shadowing and extracurriculars.

The problem is that both your dat and gpa are way below average, not a drop. 2 C's will not cause you to have a 3.0.

The problem is that both your dat and gpa are way below average, not a drop. 2 C's will not cause you to have a 3.0.

I didn't say two Cs, I said two semesters of Cs. And I am aware they are below average. Even so, I still got interviews last year. I'm just applying again this year because it doesn't put me in a bad position to. If it doesn't work out, I'm getting my Master's, then doing it all a third time.

If we are being honest, aside from what they told me during my interviews, I have no clue why 3/4 schools I applied to gave me interviews. While it is something I am deeply passionate about, I understand that they should want the best of the best in their school. Needless to say, I was surprised. Maybe some things on my application stood out, maybe I'm just that amazing in-person, I don't know.

I will also add that I had a 15 in two of the subsections of the DAT. Organic Chemistry and Quantitative Reasoning. I got accepted at WVU, and placed in the alternate pool at Marquette and the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Did you have your BS? I haven't completed that degree and have only gotten to where I will have my remaining required prerequisites to get into dental school finished by this coming Spring Semester. First time I tested I got a 17 across every section. Second time, 18s, 19s and 20s, AA 17 because I had something happen to me during the ochem section and scored a 14 the second time around. My GPA is 3.3 and I have been assisting for 22/23+ years, have done volunteer work, research. As a nontrad, I thought I'd be a good candidate but worry because I haven't had any requests for interviews. Applied to 11 schools. I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you!!

Did you have your BS? I haven't completed that degree and have only gotten to where I will have my remaining required prerequisites to get into dental school finished by this coming Spring Semester. First time I tested I got a 17 across every section. Second time, 18s, 19s and 20s, AA 17 because I had something happen to me during the ochem section and scored a 14 the second time around. My GPA is 3.3 and I have been assisting for 22/23+ years, have done volunteer work, research. As a nontrad, I thought I'd be a good candidate but worry because I haven't had any requests for interviews. Applied to 11 schools. I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you!!
With lower stats, I usually recommend looking into post-bacc programs. I did have my BS. Most of the dental schools in the country have a post-bacc program where a select group takes either 3 months (Marquette has this type of program) to a year (OSU, UIC and VCU are a few that I know have this program). Most schools offer you matriculation into the class if you complete the program successfully, and some (like VCU) guarantee you at least an interview if you successfully complete it. Definitely consider programs like this. So few people apply to them that they have half of their seats still open (OSU aims to get 10 students each year and next year's group is the second one in a row to only have 5 students. Before my group, they only had 6 students). These programs set you back an extra year, but I feel that meeting future professors, making friends before starting dental school and getting used to the area around your school is so worth it. It was a good bet for me since I had been out of school for a year, and since I didn't make it off the alternate pool at my first choice school.

Did you end up getting accepted?

With lower stats, I usually recommend looking into post-bacc programs. I did have my BS. Most of the dental schools in the country have a post-bacc program where a select group takes either 3 months (Marquette has this type of program) to a year (OSU, UIC and VCU are a few that I know have this program). Most schools offer you matriculation into the class if you complete the program successfully, and some (like VCU) guarantee you at least an interview if you successfully complete it. Definitely consider programs like this. So few people apply to them that they have half of their seats still open (OSU aims to get 10 students each year and next year's group is the second one in a row to only have 5 students. Before my group, they only had 6 students). These programs set you back an extra year, but I feel that meeting future professors, making friends before starting dental school and getting used to the area around your school is so worth it. It was a good bet for me since I had been out of school for a year, and since I didn't make it off the alternate pool at my first choice school.
What is UIC's program called? I've searched for days and i cannot find it. THank you