Anyone familiar with the new Computer Based Testing for NREMT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If my understanding is correct, the questions get harder as you answer questions right and easier as you get them wrong. The test goes on until you either get enough question right to pass or get to the end/get enough wrong that you fail. Is this correct?

Also, anyone happen to know the max number of questions the test will ask you or at least a rough estimate?

Members don't see this ad.

That is pretty much all I heard to. Since this was supose to be starting 1/1/7 I'm sure we will start to here from people what they thought. I have sort of mixed feelings about a written going over 200 questions. But if the turn around is so fast then they should just print out our card if we pass at that point!

Well, I just took it. It cut off at question 70 or so, so I take it I passed. Unless you can fail that quickly.

I'm a little concerned because it asked me similar versions of the same question 3 times and I wasn't sure about the answer. The test ended right after I guessed on the third one. So it could be I just guessed the right answer and got the last point I needed or guessed wrong and failed because of it.

Was about what precautions to take when you have a patient with TB. Answers were various combinations of putting a surgical/someother mask on you/the patient...

Members don't see this ad :)
Huh...I was under the impression that the question difficulty didn't change, but that as you accumulated correct answers the test would shorten, and wrong answers would simply mean you'd have to take the whole exam...then again, I don't pay too much attention 'cause I'm NEVER TAKING ANOTHER F***ING NR EXAM AGAIN!! :D Stupid, expensive, stressful POS "test."

(I'm probably gonna get a letter tomorrow from the NR saying that's they're revoking my registration due to "conduct unbecoming," or something like that...for all you NR spies reading this, I didn't mean it...honestly! :D )

Nate.

Well, I just took it. It cut off at question 70 or so, so I take it I passed. Unless you can fail that quickly.

I'm a little concerned because it asked me similar versions of the same question 3 times and I wasn't sure about the answer. The test ended right after I guessed on the third one. So it could be I just guessed the right answer and got the last point I needed or guessed wrong and failed because of it.

Was about what precautions to take when you have a patient with TB. Answers were various combinations of putting a surgical/someother mask on you/the patient...
Any other type of questions, amount of questions on topics, or info you want to say about your experence with the new test?

I agree with you TerraMedicX. I'll never take that stupid test ever again.

Just remembered making this thread and thought I would come and post an update.

I did pass and for those who will be taking it in the future; the sooner the test shuts off the better. I don't know what the max number of question is, but I think it a few hundred (I want to say somewhere between 150 and 250).

The majority of the questions for me were situation based. They give you a short blurb with some vitals and such and ask you what you would do first/next. Seemed like if you just remember ABC, you would be fine. That is to say: if opening an airway is an option, it's probably the right one; if airway isn't but brathing is, it's probably handle their breathing, etc.

So about 50% questions like that and 50% random trivia type stuff. BSI precautions, compression rates, flow rates, etc.

This was my experience with the test anyway...

I also took it recently (begining of January), and passed having answered 81 questions.

I heard the rumors also that the questions are supposed to get harder as you get questions correct, but that really wasnt apparant to me when I was taking the test. The subjects are all mixed up, so its hard to remember if this OB question is harder/easier than the OB question you had 10 questions ago... if that makes sense.

The test wasnt that bad though... there were a few questions on there that I didnt recgonize at all, but not many. All in all a decent experience... especially cause I passed haha.

Just for reference, out of people from my class - most people who passed finished between 70 and 100 questions. There were 3 people I know of who failed after taking 160 or so questions. One person in the class passed after 148 questions. He must have really been treading on thin ice the whole time haha.

Good luck everyone!

I am blown away becaus eI was under the same impression all of you are. The faster you finish the better you do, but I finished at 72 questions and failed. I have no idea what went wrong, there was a problem after my test they could not print my confirmation page, took along time! I had a few questions on the test that I was unsure about, but come on I got shut down at 72. I took 100 question exams for a week straight in training and never made less than a high B, and on my final 200 question test I scored a 94%! Nobody at NREMT will talk to me about it and neither will Pearson Vue, I don't know what else to do, it's very depressing. If anybody has any ideas please let me know. [email protected]

As you all should know, it's all about money. I know some of the smartest people that have taken that test and had to re-test. It's not you and your knowledge, it's the tricky way it is worded and how well you pay attention to the questions.

As you all should know, it's all about money. I know some of the smartest people that have taken that test and had to re-test. It's not you and your knowledge, it's the tricky way it is worded and how well you pay attention to the questions.

Amen to that.