Anyone fail Step 2 CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgeryChef

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, was it expected? What do you think you did wrong? Or do you think you should have passed? Just curious as I'm anxiously waiting for my scores. I haven't heard of anyone failing yet...

Members don't see this ad.

SurgeryChef said:
If so, was it expected? What do you think you did wrong? Or do you think you should have passed? Just curious as I'm anxiously waiting for my scores. I haven't heard of anyone failing yet...

I had 2 friends fail the exam. They were in the top 15% of our class. This is the bottom line to not failing...... Other than your normal routine steps you should already know when interviewing and examining (wash hands, drape, etc..).....YOU MUST memorize each case in the back of the step2 CS book. They include all the typical disease processes...pnemonia, depression, chest pain, cough, fatigue, etc. For every illness the First Aid will list from "A to Z" ALL the questions you must ask and ALL the physical exam maneuvers you need to do. The people you are interviewing/examinating usually have no medical background, but they have the same checklist that is listed in the back of the first aid. Both students memorized those cases and passed on the 2nd attempt.

Swaydaa said:
I had 2 friends fail the exam. They were in the top 15% of our class. This is the bottom line to not failing...... Other than your normal routine steps you should already know when interviewing and examining (wash hands, drape, etc..).....YOU MUST memorize each case in the back of the step2 CS book. They include all the typical disease processes...pnemonia, depression, chest pain, cough, fatigue, etc. For every illness the First Aid will list from "A to Z" ALL the questions you must ask and ALL the physical exam maneuvers you need to do. The people you are interviewing/examinating usually have no medical background, but they have the same checklist that is listed in the back of the first aid. Both students memorized those cases and passed on the 2nd attempt.

Well, having just received the results of my CS, I can safely say that you do NOT have to memorize the cases in the back of the First Aid book to pass. All I did was read through the intro in the book which described (pretty accurately) how the test works and skimmed through the mini vignettes on the plane ride down. Honestly, if you've done the 3rd year rotations and have interacted with patients, you'll be fine. Just be sure to do the "gimme" things like the introduction, draping, washing hands, etc. If you can speak fluent English, have some basic H&P skills, and know some basic medicine and differentials, you will pass.

The above poster passed the exam, and you get no feedback if you pass. He/she may have already inherantly knew what questions to ask. I may have went a little overboard on "memorizing" the back of the book, but the 2 students who failed, focused on the checklist and passed....bottom line. things like drapes, washing hands, knocking, and good english should be no problem for most. You may want to brush up on your physical exam skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I have started reading first aid. I take it on Monday. I am curious to know about how much your ddx have to match their's. I am usually 3/5 the same with first aid (first one usually the same). I know no one knows the answer to this but I'd love to know how many of the ddx have to match.

trkd said:
Yeah, I have started reading first aid. I take it on Monday. I am curious to know about how much your ddx have to match their's. I am usually 3/5 the same with first aid (first one usually the same). I know no one knows the answer to this but I'd love to know how many of the ddx have to match.

good luck! i swear to you, its all in the first aid book. the cases and how you should write them on paper or the computer its just the same. know how to do the PE's but other than that...First aid rocks.

good luck!

future_OB said:
good luck! i swear to you, its all in the first aid book. the cases and how you should write them on paper or the computer its just the same. know how to do the PE's but other than that...First aid rocks.

good luck!

i took step 2 cs before ck and i passed. dont sweat it.

I know three people who failed...one was due to a deficit in English language, the other two, although smart, were jerks (can we say Karev from Grey's Anatomy).

On the real, aside from the ridiculous price and stress it is not too bad. The exam is no different from your daily activities in 3rd year. It is set up like a typical clinic...you read the cc and vs, knock on the door, introduce yourself, wash your hands, drape, and go to work. The counseling at the end is just part of being complete. Most of my patients in 3rd and 4th year preferred ME over the attending because I explained things and just like patients the actors in CS mimic that too...."oh, I did not know that; thanks for taking the time to explain."

The write up is gravy...common sense. If you haven't had much practice at the hospital or clinic doing admits or follow-ups..grab a student at lunch and and just do it, you'll need it for your electives or your sub-I rotations anyway.

In the end, just smile, take an interest in their health and be confident, but not condescending. Supposedly the actors grade you so a good bedside manner goes a long way.