Anyone Else Unable to Find Work as a Pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We have 0 bags of 250ml and 500ml NS and we cant get anymore. Life freaking sucks right now.

LR usually comes in 1L bags, Ive never seen them smaller (not that they dont exist....) so in order to put them into 250ml bags wed have to compound them and the rule of thumb is to compound as little as possible.

D5W comes in the same sizes that NS come in, but weve been having problems with this as well. For each 250ml of d5w you get thats equal to an amp of Dextrose (I know this bc our dextrose amps were backordered last year as well......). So yes, youre changing the glucose, but if youve got a diabetic on SS this would be accounted for, and hopefully your vanco isnt q8 (hopefully only q12 or q24) so not as much.

Just this morning we had the director, lead pharmacist, and 2 techs all trying to source NS. What a waste of resources.
Maybe you mean it's equal to a dose of dextrose, which is usually half an amp prn, but 250ml of d5w is not the same as an amp of d50. An amp of d50 contains 25gm of dextrose. For each 250ml of d10w, you get what is equal to an amp of d50.

Dextrose-Injection-50-USP-S__39934_zoom.jpg

dextrose-injection-usp-1384971993.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, Sparda Sir, or anyone, how are real pharmacies handling the normal saline shortage? From the research I am doing this morning, it appears that Lactated Ringers would be the most appropriate substitute. But the holier than thou Pharmds I am working with keep throwing D5W into my vancos, and I have a huge problem with this. My patients fingerstick QID, and you can't tell me this isn't throwing off their readings.

Put it in D5W - you can always give somebody a tad more insulin - you are talking 12.5 - 25 grams of dextrose total, not insignificant, but also not enough to get all caught up in. For maintence fluids we are using plasma lyte at times as well but we have mostly mitigated the NS shortage by conservation measure, (not ordering 100ml/hr of NS in the ED when we know they are going home, when a bag is empty, checking with the MD before starting a new one and seeing if we can change to hep locks, etc.

25grams, youre right about that, thanks for the heads up. I was thinking D10.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get to read this forum often enough to know if Sparda is right or wrong. What I can say for sure is good for him having the balls to make a change if he is unhappy.

Hey Sparda, if you see this, how long is reconstituted daptomycin good for? I've been a retail girl for 16 years, and now all of a sudden I have to be responsible for IVs too. The package insert tells me 48 hours, but the idiot we are calling PIC claims its good for 7 days.

I am not begrudging a change, I had three jobs in my first three years, but what I am saying, take advice and learn from older more seasoned Rph's - if he applied to my hospital with that resume, it would get thrown right into the garbage. If he did make an interview, and that attitude showed through, bye bye.

We give dapto 48 hours as my hospital. That being said instead of calling him an IDIOT PIC, did you ask him for references? Often we get conflicting information from different studies, and he may have a study that backs up that info. Where do you work? I am shocked you got a job in a hospital after 16 years in retail unless you are in a hard to staff area.

I am not begrudging a change, I had three jobs in my first three years, but what I am saying, take advice and learn from older more seasoned Rph's - if he applied to my hospital with that resume, it would get thrown right into the garbage. If he did make an interview, and that attitude showed through, bye bye.

We give dapto 48 hours as my hospital. That being said instead of calling him an IDIOT PIC, did you ask him for references? Often we get conflicting information from different studies, and he may have a study that backs up that info. Where do you work? I am shocked you got a job in a hospital after 16 years in retail unless you are in a hard to staff area.

Why?

My resume would show something like this.

Y Pharmacy - (June 2014 - Present) - Supervising Pharmacist
Y Medical Center (June 2013-Present) - Staff Pharmacist
X Pharmacy (July 2012 - Present) - Staff Pharmacist
X Health System (Peds Medical Center) (April 2014 - June 2014) - Staff Pharmacist
X Health System (Community Hospital) (September 2012 - April 2014) - Staff Pharmacist

I could just combine the last 2 into one and no one would really know. All the payroll and HR for that health system are done from one central location. I'd just have my friend who is a pharmacist at the hospital be my reference and put their title in as senior pharmacist or something. No need to have the director as the reference. So instead it would look like this:

X Health System September 2012 - June 2014 - Staff Pharmacist

We reviewed a study that gives it 7days when left in the vial.

Why?

My resume would show something like this.

X Health System (Peds Medical Center) (April 2014 - June 2014) - Staff Pharmacist
X Health System (Community Hospital) (September 2012 - April 2014) - Staff Pharmacist

I could just combine the last 2 into one and no one would really know. All the payroll and HR for that health system are done from one central location. I'd just have my friend who is a pharmacist at the hospital be my reference and put their title in as senior pharmacist or something. No need to have the director as the reference. So instead it would look like this:

X Health System September 2012 - June 2014 - Staff Pharmacist

1. references really don't mean to much - unless it is somebody who has "connections" at the place you are applying - we only look at them after we have interviewed somebody.

So basically in a best case scenario you have four jobs since 2012 - why would I think you would stay here? why are you bouncing around? It can't all be the job, there is one common denominator, and that is you.

Now, that being said, my resume when I applied here looked like this:
April 2004-Jan 2005 - staff pharmacist
Jan 2005-Jan 2006 - Director of pharmacy
Jan 06-feb 07 - staff pharmacist

BUT the times are a heck of a lot different know. That stuff doesn't fly - we get 60+ applicants for every job, I would see this and pitch it unless your cover letter did a damn good job of explaining it. We see somebody who works retail? We pitch it. We see somebody who has been out of practice for a year? we pitch it. When I see somebody who has bounced around like that, it usually means trouble (not always, but majority of the time) and is somebody who can't fit in well at a place and thinks they are "better" than the job.

Reactions: 1 users
We reviewed a study that gives it 7days when left in the vial.
there you go, we don't leave it in a vial, hence the 48 hours. We do dose rounding, mix them up all at the same time every day and avoid waste se we have very little left over in a vial. Also our ASP program does a good job at making sure only those patients that truly need it are on it.

1. references really don't mean to much - unless it is somebody who has "connections" at the place you are applying - we only look at them after we have interviewed somebody.

So basically in a best case scenario you have four jobs since 2012 - why would I think you would stay here? why are you bouncing around? It can't all be the job, there is one common denominator, and that is you.

Now, that being said, my resume when I applied here looked like this:
April 2004-Jan 2005 - staff pharmacist
Jan 2005-Jan 2006 - Director of pharmacy
Jan 06-feb 07 - staff pharmacist

BUT the times are a heck of a lot different know. That stuff doesn't fly - we get 60+ applicants for every job, I would see this and pitch it unless your cover letter did a damn good job of explaining it. We see somebody who works retail? We pitch it. We see somebody who has been out of practice for a year? we pitch it. When I see somebody who has bounced around like that, it usually means trouble (not always, but majority of the time) and is somebody who can't fit in well at a place and thinks they are "better" than the job.

You can't really see any bouncing around. If I combine the first health system I worked at into one date, it would show that I only quit once. What's wrong with working retail on top of hospital?

You can't really see any bouncing around. If I combine the first health system I worked at into one date, it would show that I only quit once. What's wrong with working retail on top of hospital?

1. nothing wrong with retail on top of hospital - although to make things look cleaner - throw it at the bottom and make sure it is very evident this is prn work - don't make it look like you hopped around (believe me, people spend something like 30 seconds reading a resume, if you don't spell it out very clearly, the HR geeks just kinda toss to the side)

2. Working two different jobs at one health system - was it a promotion? or was it at two different hospitals, two different jobs, etc?
if a promotion, put it under one heading with a sub heading (similiar to myself)

1. W0rk 2007-present at XYW Medication Center
2010-2014 - supervisor
2007-2010 - staff Rph

If it is truly two different hospitals, gonna have to likely split it up - unless you can make it fit the mold above without looking out of place

1. nothing wrong with retail on top of hospital - although to make things look cleaner - throw it at the bottom and make sure it is very evident this is prn work - don't make it look like you hopped around (believe me, people spend something like 30 seconds reading a resume, if you don't spell it out very clearly, the HR geeks just kinda toss to the side)

2. Working two different jobs at one health system - was it a promotion? or was it at two different hospitals, two different jobs, etc?
if a promotion, put it under one heading with a sub heading (similiar to myself)

1. W0rk 2007-present at XYW Medication Center
2010-2014 - supervisor
2007-2010 - staff Rph

If it is truly two different hospitals, gonna have to likely split it up - unless you can make it fit the mold above without looking out of place

#1 I'm keeping it in chronological order. Right now, the independent is my full-time gig while I'm per diem at the hospital (meaning 1-2 times a week).

#2 Pharmacist at 2 different hospitals within the health-system. My log in and email and whatnot were all the same. If a payroll background check was to be done, all you would find out is that I was an employee of the health system from September 2012-June 2014, you would not know that I transferred in April 2014 from one hospital to another.

Edit: I just checked on a job verification website about what my employment status is and it only shows my employment with the system. It does not show that I transferred within the system from one hospital to another.

The only regret I have is that I should have gotten a written statement from HR that I would be able to go back to the original position should the new one not be a good fit.

Last edited:
#1 I'm keeping it in chronological order. Right now, the independent is my full-time gig while I'm per diem at the hospital (meaning 1-2 times a week).

#2 Pharmacist at 2 different hospitals within the health-system. My log in and email and whatnot were all the same. If a payroll background check was to be done, all you would find out is that I was an employee of the health system from September 2012-June 2014, you would not know that I transferred in April 2014 from one hospital to another.

Edit: I just checked on a job verification website about what my employment status is and it only shows my employment with the system. It does not show that I transferred within the system from one hospital to another.

The only regret I have is that I should have gotten a written statement from HR that I would be able to go back to the original position should the new one not be a good fit.

What is your ultimate goal? Is it to work hospital? stay in independent? The reason I ask, is that the hospital environment is getting so extremely competitive, I have a friend who just recently got a job at a Manhattan hospital - heard there are like 200 applicants for every position - he had a contact at the hospital which gave him a foot in the door. The more and more you stay in retail, the harder and harder it will be to get back in. I jumped ship on retail in 07 - before the competition here got crazy, and am soooo glad I did. I did prn work at CVS for 4 years, I don't even put it on my resume. Obviously your PRN work will be at a hospital- and you would want to keep that as front and center as you can.

If it is the same system, I would like it as one "job" with sub headings under each - that will make it look almost like you were climbing the corporate ladder - which is a good thing. Remember, HR people are not medical professionals, they don't always get how things work for us. They spend so little time scanning resumes, if you keep as few employers (which as much time at each) as possible, it is best

What is your ultimate goal? Is it to work hospital? stay in independent? The reason I ask, is that the hospital environment is getting so extremely competitive, I have a friend who just recently got a job at a Manhattan hospital - heard there are like 200 applicants for every position - he had a contact at the hospital which gave him a foot in the door. The more and more you stay in retail, the harder and harder it will be to get back in. I jumped ship on retail in 07 - before the competition here got crazy, and am soooo glad I did. I did prn work at CVS for 4 years, I don't even put it on my resume. Obviously your PRN work will be at a hospital- and you would want to keep that as front and center as you can.

If it is the same system, I would like it as one "job" with sub headings under each - that will make it look almost like you were climbing the corporate ladder - which is a good thing. Remember, HR people are not medical professionals, they don't always get how things work for us. They spend so little time scanning resumes, if you keep as few employers (which as much time at each) as possible, it is best

Well for now it is to stay independent, I've had a couple of offers for full-time hospital employment but they were for temporary positions with no guarantee of being able to go back to per diem after the temp job was complete. I like the work at the hospital better but I like the relaxed/chill environment of independent pharmacy. (I like using my brain for work and not having to deal with insurance companies but I also like being able to wear a t-shirt and jeans to work and bsing during downtime and ordering food of Seamless whenever rather than only being able to go to the hospital cafeteria for ****ty food. Apparently they don't want you browsing the internet on Seamless to find lunch while you're still "on the clock" on top of that, security generally doesn't like letting food delivery people in.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else unable to find work as a pharmacist and had to move on? What do you do for a living now?
It's just been impossible to find any work, even PRN as a pharmacist. I've been contacting job agencies in other states to move, and still no reply. It is hard knowing I may never be able to use my medication knowledge to help people anymore.

"had to move on" !!!! I doubt you can give up that easy! otherwise you would not be a pharmacist. look in texas, california, and the other south (red states). you WILL find a job

The Permian Basin (Midland- Odessa) region of Texas is in dire need of Pharmacists. They pay a nice wage too..average around $63/hr for staff rphs at Chain stores..Walmart, CVS and Walgreens are building additional stores as well in the region.

I'm about to change jobs again in NYC for the 4th time since I graduated (2012). From one outpatient pharmacy at a health system to a different one. Only difference is that there is no union here, but the pay is closer to retail.

I'm about to change jobs again in NYC for the 4th time since I graduated (2012). From one outpatient pharmacy at a health system to a different one. Only difference is that there is no union here, but the pay is closer to retail.
what is typical pay there? and how much do you have to pay to the union?

That being said instead of calling him an IDIOT PIC, did you ask him for references?

I tried. I really, really tried. I promise I did.

I was given the most absurd replies to my innocent queries, written in such a way as to imply I am a stupid pharmacist who "doesn't get it."

Thankfully, he is always dumb enough to copy everyone. And at this place, "everyone" includes his boss. His boss is an old friend of mine from a few jobs ago.

I appreciate everyone's input on my salt water/sugar water debacle!

Where do you work? I am shocked you got a job in a hospital after 16 years in retail unless you are in a hard to staff area.

I would love to name the company, but I don't feel comfortable doing so. It's only been around about ten years, and only in five states so far. But it's got a really great vision, and I'll do whatever I have to in order for it to succeed and grow.

Which unfortunately means sometimes I have to tell the PIC he is an inexperienced, immature *****.

(On the subject of resumes, on paper mine is hilarious. I've always had a week on/off job, and then a second job. I've treated the second job like a throw away job my whole life. I met the PIC's boss at a second job about ten years ago. The PIC knows this, or maybe he forgot, like he forgets everything. )

I jumped ship on retail in 07 - before the competition here got crazy, and am soooo glad I did.

At the exact same time, I made the other decision. I was at Kroger, and had two competing offers. Walgreens +25k sign on, or the major hospital system in that area + 20k sign on.

At the time, I was afraid of switching over to hospital. I didn't think I was smart enough. I stayed with what I knew, which was retail.

Why do Warren Buffet or Bill Gates not retire? They could lie on a beach for the rest of their lives'. Some people like working and making money....
FYI: Bill Gates has retired since several years ago and has been pouring his fortune into charities worldwide.

Anyone know what happened to Angela1234? Did she ever find work?

I feel like I'm now stuck in her situation...

People should really Google "pharmacist can't find job".

Worth the read!

Reactions: 3 users
We wil be hiring for two clinical pharmacists as well as an order entry/clinical person in the next few weeks. We are a mid size hospital located in North Georgia (about an hr from Atlanta). The clinical positions will require at least 3yrs hospital experience and/or completion of a PGY-1. We are looking for outstanding talent. Pharmacists that are motivated, proactive, and willing to think outside the box. If you are interested send me a PM.

Competition is healthy and normal in human society. But is not humane to knowingly saturate the market beyond that it is able to sustain. Saturating the market will not create "better" pharmacists. This will create unemployment and a worsening economic situation.

https://www.change.org/p/national-a...nd-demand-of-the-pharmacist?just_created=true

We wil be hiring for two clinical pharmacists as well as an order entry/clinical person in the next few weeks. We are a mid size hospital located in North Georgia (about an hr from Atlanta). The clinical positions will require at least 3yrs hospital experience and/or completion of a PGY-1. We are looking for outstanding talent. Pharmacists that are motivated, proactive, and willing to think outside the box. If you are interested send me a PM.

:thumbup::thumbup: !!

Anyone else unable to find work as a pharmacist and had to move on? What do you do for a living now?
It's just been impossible to find any work, even PRN as a pharmacist. I've been contacting job agencies in other states to move, and still no reply. It is hard knowing I may never be able to use my medication knowledge to help people anymore.

Hello ...Wile doing some research about why New Pharm D are unable to find work, I came across an article about how the Corporations who hire Us are actually
requesting and securing thousands and thousands of Foreign Pharmacist !!!! the programs is CALLED THE H1 b foreign work visa program ....

Telling the government and politicians in Washington that there is not enough pharmacist in USA to fill the positions.???? WHAT??

HOW CAN THAT BE POSIBBLE WHEN THERE IS BLOGS LIKE THIS WITH THOSUANDS OF PHARMACIST OUT OF WORK !!!!!!

The big retail chains have strong lobbyist to make sure the keep approving thousand upon thousands of those H 1 b VISAS every year and crowding the job market in the USA .

The big retail chains are doing this and have been abusing the system to the point of leaving New Pharm D graduates unable to find work In a lot of areas specially
in the North East.
Wile all of us were buried in school work and rotations etc.. Our own congressmen are still allowing the big retail chains and other potential employer's to bring
foreign Pharmacist because they pay them less a lot less and they enslaved them sometimes up tp 14 hours a day and no brake no lunch !!
there is a GRAY AREA IN THE LAW Pharmacies are considered "Management don't take breaks " under that labor law the large Chain companies have gotten always with working pharmacist
to borderline slavery with no lunch break and force to fill sometimes from 500 to 900 scripts a day. No time to even go to the bathroom.

THE H1 B VISAS IS DRVING THE PAY FOR PHARMCIST DOWN !!! How are we supposed to pay our student loans back and still pay for a mortgage etc ??

THIS IS WHY YOU CANT FIND A PHARMACY JOB TODAY !!! READ THE LINK THE TRUT NEEDS TO COME OUT...

Here is the link of what retail pharmacies are doing.
http://www.jimplagakis.com/?p=2277

ALSO HERE IS THE LINK TO PETITION TO CONGRESS TO ABOLISH THE H1B VISA PROGRAM TO SECURE AMERICAN PHARMACY JOBS !!
IF WE AS AMERICAN PHARMACIST DO NOT TAKE ACTION THIS IS ONLY GOING TO GET WORST PLEASE PASS THIS ON ! FOR THE SAKE and the SACRIFICES
WE HAVE MADE AND FOR OUR FUTURE JOBS. This petition is not about race or religion since we are as Americans melting pot with have an amazing and beautiful
diversity and cultures that make us unique, but simply a petition to have congress stop giving and granting
thousands of jobs to foreign pharmacist with the abuse of the " H1 B VISA" PROGRAM wile American pharmacist are having a hard time find work that pays well and gives us
more respect in our field. If after you worked and sacrificed 6 to 8 years of hard work and good grades. YOU WILL COME OUT TO THE REAL WORLD OF WHAT IS GOING
ON IN MOSTLEY EVERY CITY IN AMERICA !! YOU WILL BE TREATED LIKE A $10.00 dollar an hour cashier at a retail chain store were they force you to dust
shelves and answer phones phones and fill stupid and mind numbing logs.
Also is the reason why pharmacist have not seen a significate Increase in salary in a least 10 years !!! WAKE UP !!! TAKE A STAND !! PETITON TO CONGRESS !!!

https://www.petition2congress.com/7637/abolish-h1b-visa-program

Hello ...Wile doing some
Wile all of us were buried in school work and rotations etc.. Our own congressmen are still allowing the big retail chains and other potential employer's to bring
foreign Pharmacist because they pay them less a lot less and they enslaved them sometimes up tp 14 hours a day and no brake no lunch !!
there is a GRAY AREA IN THE LAW Pharmacies are considered "Management don't take breaks " under that labor law the large Chain companies have gotten always with working pharmacist
to borderline slavery with no lunch break and force to fill sometimes from 500 to 900 scripts a day. No time to even go to the bathroom.

THE H1 B VISAS IS DRVING THE PAY FOR PHARMCIST DOWN !!! How are we supposed to pay our student loans back and still pay for a mortgage etc ??

THIS IS WHY YOU CANT FIND A PHARMACY JOB TODAY !!! READ THE LINK THE TRUT NEEDS TO COME OUT...

ALSO HERE IS THE LINK TO PETITION TO CONGRESS TO ABOLISH THE H1B VISA PROGRAM TO SECURE AMERICAN PHARMACY JOBS !!
IF WE AS AMERICAN PHARMACIST DO NOT TAKE ACTION THIS IS ONLY GOING TO GET WORST PLEASE PASS THIS ON ! FOR THE SAKE and the SACRIFICES
WE HAVE MADE AND FOR OUR FUTURE JOBS. This petition is not about race or religion since we are as Americans melting pot with have an amazing and beautiful
diversity and cultures that make us unique, but simply a petition to have congress stop giving and granting
thousands of jobs to foreign pharmacist with the abuse of the " H1 B VISA" PROGRAM wile American pharmacist are having a hard time find work that pays well and gives us
more respect in our field. If after you worked and sacrificed 6 to 8 years of hard work and good grades. YOU WILL COME OUT TO THE REAL WORLD OF WHAT IS GOING
ON IN MOSTLEY EVERY CITY IN AMERICA !! YOU WILL BE TREATED LIKE A $10.00 dollar an hour cashier at a retail chain store were they force you to dust
Also is the reason why pharmacist have not seen a significate Increase in salary in a least 10 years !!! WAKE UP !!! TAKE A STAND !! PETITON TO CONGRESS !!!

1. H1B visa programs are far form new - you sound like this is a new concept
2. Very few companies hire pharmcists through this program because of the saturations
3. I am guessing you voted from trump - "screw all the non-americans"

Reactions: 4 users
Hello ...Wile doing some research about why New Pharm D are unable to find work, I came across an article about how the Corporations who hire Us are actually
requesting and securing thousands and thousands of Foreign Pharmacist !!!! the programs is CALLED THE H1 b foreign work visa program ....

Telling the government and politicians in Washington that there is not enough pharmacist in USA to fill the positions.???? WHAT??

HOW CAN THAT BE POSIBBLE WHEN THERE IS BLOGS LIKE THIS WITH THOSUANDS OF PHARMACIST OUT OF WORK !!!!!!

The big retail chains have strong lobbyist to make sure the keep approving thousand upon thousands of those H 1 b VISAS every year and crowding the job market in the USA .

The big retail chains are doing this and have been abusing the system to the point of leaving New Pharm D graduates unable to find work In a lot of areas specially
in the North East.

Agree with Dred Pirate, and also, if you actually are a pharmacist, which I doubt, you have this very wrong.

I don't think you really get how hard it is even with the H1B to qualify as a pharmacist here. Even the ones who were taken over, unless they were Mexican or Canadian between 1994 and 2004 (due to the way NAFTA used to work), had to serve a 1500-hour internship, take a qualifying exam even before NAPLEX, and serve under a two year probation in most states (try to get a license without a Social Security Number or ITIN and you almost automatically get slapped with that). Not to mention that most of the companies who tried to hire pharmacists that way (I'm looking at Rite Aid and Osco in particular) lived to regret it especially with the South African transplants. During the shortage when that really was a thing, it didn't bother any of us since the foreigners always worked in absolutely the crappiest areas in the state and never advanced beyond pharmacy manager (for AZ, you couldn't even be the pharmacist in charge as there was a board regulation about restricting PIC status to permanent residents or citizens). The DEA would not give primary signing rights to a non-permanent resident (H1b visa) PIC until a couple of years ago and those were always approved at the DC level not the field office.

And while I rarely have encounters with Mexican pharmacists, the Canadians routinely had the highest passage rates in the US and had the highest passage rates on the CALPLEX when it was offered and I hold them as both a group and as individuals to be both a competent and reasonable no-drama pharmacists.

@Dred Pirate : This particular Republican doesn't want to "screw all Americans", but is horrified that his party elected someone whose definition of Americans probably doesn't extend to himself!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Implying that the H1B pharmacists are crowding out new grads in job markets in the NE. L O L

ld them as both a group and as individuals to be both a competent and reasonable no-drama pharmacists.

@Dred Pirate : This particular Republican doesn't want to "screw all Americans", but is horrified that his party elected someone whose definition of Americans probably doesn't extend to himself!

Not sure if yours was a typo of you misread me - I said Trump fed the feeling of "screwing all non-americans" no "screw all americans"

Not that all republicans feels this (far from it) -

PS- Mexican pharmacists? I have never met a single Mexican trained RPh in the US - I was under the impression (maybe very wrongly) that this was not even close to an equivalent to a US degree and there was zero way you could transfer without starting all over in the US.

Agree with the other aspects - the foreign RPh's always got the totall crap hole places

I'm starting to feel some anxiety about my future job prospects. I suspect that our team will be downsized once we finish the implementation project we are currently on, and I don't like my chances at staying on afterwards. That's the burden of being one of the highest paid with lowest seniority I suppose. I'm starting to think that my next job should be one that I'm willing to stick with permanently (or until I am replaced by an A.I.) because it seems like opportunities are becoming fewer and fewer with each passing year. The real fear is only being able to find a job in a rural town of Mississippi or some other terrible fate.

Not sure if yours was a typo of you misread me - I said Trump fed the feeling of "screwing all non-americans" no "screw all americans"

Not that all republicans feels this (far from it) -

PS- Mexican pharmacists? I have never met a single Mexican trained RPh in the US - I was under the impression (maybe very wrongly) that this was not even close to an equivalent to a US degree and there was zero way you could transfer without starting all over in the US.

Agree with the other aspects - the foreign RPh's always got the totall crap hole places

Misread yours, sorry! :( I've gotten a lot of crap lately that Republicans want to see American burn.

Mexican pharmacists and physicians. Yeah, that was a limited time offer between 1994 and 2004 when NAFTA was passed and before corollaries were written to limit that reciprocity, all three countries would actually have to accept each other's baseline training in order for residency and for licensing for any profession (including law, engineering, and other non-health matters). Even AZ had to accept them given the H1B visa and passed TOEFL if their qualifications were not in English (most Mexican schools outside of UAG and one in the Caymans, and Laval which is French speaking in Quebec, Canada). We gained a lot of Canadians from the treaty into the US due to the acceptance.

There are a number of Mexican pharmacists, but they aren't necessarily Mexican. They are gringos (Americans) with rich parents and/or lousy academic scores who went to places like UAG and then repetitioned back in the US for residencies or licensing crowding out the natives. The reason why you didn't see that effect in Canada is that there is no admission or price advantage for Americans to go up north. Also, salaries are about half and taken from a person who licensed in Canada (Manitoba) as well, their licensing exam is way harder than the US, so much so that I'd rather retake a BPS exam that I don't know than retake the PEBC again as the science part of that exam was hell to study for. So, if you decided to look up certain licenses in the border states, you'll find that John Doe might not have been trained in a US pharmacy school, but in Mexico (I think Vegas has the most of all of those people). Hard to fathom now that it's both easier to get in to pharmacy school and that there's an abundance of us, but it used to not be that way. I'm sure the UAG grads in particular regret it now. That's why I remarked that I don't believe I have, but who knows, some of my old Walgreen colleagues could have drunk tequila and run chasers down South than study in the US.

I'm starting to feel some anxiety about my future job prospects. I suspect that our team will be downsized once we finish the implementation project we are currently on, and I don't like my chances at staying on afterwards. That's the burden of being one of the highest paid with lowest seniority I suppose. I'm starting to think that my next job should be one that I'm willing to stick with permanently (or until I am replaced by an A.I.) because it seems like opportunities are becoming fewer and fewer with each passing year. The real fear is only being able to find a job in a rural town of Mississippi or some other terrible fate.

Are you doing informatics?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Are you doing informatics?

Yeah, currently on an Epic implementation. Before that I was focused on implementing new smart-pumps and Pyxis machines. The problem is my FTE has moved from pharmacy to IT. I see uncertainty in my future.

Was anybody else hoping for an update on Angela? Just me? OK.

I just flipped though this thread. Making money is better than being unemployed and having your loan balance balloon. That said there are financial, social and psychological costs to uprooting your life for a **** chain retail job in the middle of "nowhere." I can see it being easier for a single male in his 20s just looking to **** around and/or play video games as there is literally nothing to do in your bum-**** neck of the woods where you found a job no one wants. Even easier if you are highly introverted and don't "need" to be in a relationship. I did this myself. I said "**** this, I'm just spending 2-3 years working like a machine to pay off student loans" after a breakup and moved on.

It would be a bit harder for a single woman in her late 30s, ticking biological clock and all. At least if you have a family you have an immediate support group. You aren't likely to find any compatible, "qualified" life partners as a single young person in some of these crap areas unless you are really good at finding a diamond in the rough or have very low standards.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, currently on an Epic implementation. Before that I was focused on implementing new smart-pumps and Pyxis machines. The problem is my FTE has moved from pharmacy to IT. I see uncertainty in my future.

Why the uncertainty?

That said there are financial, social and psychological costs to uprooting your life for a **** chain retail job in the middle of "nowhere."

Very important point. Don't move away from LA to the middle of Indiana to work as a float pharmacist at CVS. I have only moved to either live in a more desirable city or to take a job that furthers my career. Funny thing was, taking the job that furthered my career left me less fulfilled overall and I probably would have been happier keeping the old job but living where I enjoyed. Call it a lesson learned I guess.

It's really a shame that pharmacy isn't a career that can serve as a vehicle to get you out of your crappy hometown and into a decent city like it used to be. I'm crossing my fingers I can find the job I want in the city I want in the next few years. If I get that combo I am holding on tight.

Why the uncertainty?

Just a hunch coupled with some random facts. I was put into a training role, not exactly an area I would have volunteered for given the chance. It's a role that many hospitals are happy to use a technician for. My area of interest is more in building and troubleshooting. I'm basically taking a 1.5 year detour into an area that is only tangentially related to my area of interest. I'm able to devote about 25% of my time to helping on the build at least.

The department hasn't announced their post-live staffing levels, but preliminary documents showed a reduction in staff over current levels.

The other pharmacist on the build team has nearly two decades of seniority and seems to know everyone in the department.

Anyway, just several factors that make me think I shouldn't count on having a position once all is said and done.

Last edited:

Hope you don't get cut.... but if they do happen to downsize, would you consider working in retail?

Very important point. Don't move away from LA to the middle of Indiana to work as a float pharmacist at CVS. I have only moved to either live in a more desirable city or to take a job that furthers my career. Funny thing was, taking the job that furthered my career left me less fulfilled overall and I probably would have been happier keeping the old job but living where I enjoyed. Call it a lesson learned I guess.

It's really a shame that pharmacy isn't a career that can serve as a vehicle to get you out of your crappy hometown and into a decent city like it used to be. I'm crossing my fingers I can find the job I want in the city I want in the next few years. If I get that combo I am holding on tight.

Just a hunch coupled with some random facts. I was put into a training role, not exactly an area I would have volunteered for given the chance. It's a role that many hospitals are happy to use a technician for. My area of interest is more in building and troubleshooting. I'm basically taking a 1.5 year detour into an area that is only tangentially related to my area of interest. I'm able to devote about 25% of my time to helping on the build at least.

The department hasn't announced their post-live staffing levels, but preliminary documents showed a reduction in staff over current levels.

The other pharmacist on the build team has nearly two decades of seniority and seems to know everyone in the department.

Anyway, just several factors that make me think I shouldn't count on having a position once all is said and done.

Actually, for the reasons you cite, you can be reasonably certain that you will not have a position. This is the Epic way, where they replace licensed staff with cheaper non-clinical trainers after a shakedown period. I would take the time to milk this job for knowledge and work on building Brand You as you are a journeyman just having a stop here. Unless the hospital decides to create a position for you directly if they love you enough, I'd count on them laying you off about GoLive + 36 months in a standard runup.

http://pivotpoint.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2rosvucsrkd

Is the sort of background experience you should be targeting for at this point. If you can get in on the Intersystems Cache training, TAKE IT (try to request the training that you can while you have the bandwidth)!

PS - There's going to be a market need for Cerner analysts real soon in the VA. We suspect one or two years at the most before that tide comes in.

Literally NOBODY is hiring H1B pharmacists now. During the shortage during the 2000's, H1B pharmacists were used, but now that there is no shortage, there is no advantage to bringing them in. Many H1B pharmacists have not have their contracts renewed once they were up. Any H1B pharmacists you see now have been in the country for years and have been fortunate enough to have an employer willing to renew their contract.

And this, friends, is why there will always be jobs for pharmacists who are willing to move, because the vast majority of pharmacists won't (or can't) move.

im sure angela is fine and employed. when you're unemployed you have all the time in the world, like posting on a message board. LOL at the H1b poster, i know for a fact there are still shortages in some areas in cali and northern nevada. Looking at indeed there are openings across the country, except the major metro cities

Hope you don't get cut.... but if they do happen to downsize, would you consider working in retail?
bpDUcGO.jpg

Worst case scenario, I tighten the belt a bit and request more shifts at my per diem job while I look for my next gig. I've got multiple state licenses and have no problems moving. Besides, Walgreens would take one look at my resume and recognize me as a flight risk. Not that I would even know what to do if they hired me.

Actually, for the reasons you cite, you can be reasonably certain that you will not have a position. This is the Epic way, where they replace licensed staff with cheaper non-clinical trainers after a shakedown period. I would take the time to milk this job for knowledge and work on building Brand You as you are a journeyman just having a stop here. Unless the hospital decides to create a position for you directly if they love you enough, I'd count on them laying you off about GoLive + 36 months in a standard runup.

http://pivotpoint.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2rosvucsrkd

Is the sort of background experience you should be targeting for at this point. If you can get in on the Intersystems Cache training, TAKE IT (try to request the training that you can while you have the bandwidth)!

PS - There's going to be a market need for Cerner analysts real soon in the VA. We suspect one or two years at the most before that tide comes in.

How is analyst staffing handled at the VA? Centralized to one / a handful of areas, or does each hospital have it's own team? I wouldn't mind setting up shop at the West Palm Beach VA and getting a head start on my retirement.

The informatics folklore is that once you're Epic certified or whatever it is they do in Wisconsin you're extremely valuable because no one else wants to pay to send people.

Then again, it seems like most hospitals train their IT from internal pharmacists? I check job postings on the regular just for curiosity sake, I feel like informatics postings are surprisingly rare.

bpDUcGO.jpg

Worst case scenario, I tighten the belt a bit and request more shifts at my per diem job while I look for my next gig. I've got multiple state licenses and have no problems moving. Besides, Walgreens would take one look at my resume and recognize me as a flight risk. Not that I would even know what to do if they hired me.

How is analyst staffing handled at the VA? Centralized to one / a handful of areas, or does each hospital have it's own team? I wouldn't mind setting up shop at the West Palm Beach VA and getting a head start on my retirement.

Each hospital pharmacy department has at least one IT person (ADPAC), at least for the bigger VAs, plus some centralized positions. I think they only hire internally for those positions though, as you really need to know your VISTA and CPRS.

Last edited: