Anyone else puzzled by some of the programs that didn't offer an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trophyhusband

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what programs that haven't offered you an interview are most puzzling to you? For my wife they would probably be:

Maricopa
Banner Good Samaritan
Austin
UT-Houston

We can understand UTSW somewhat because it's a very competitive program. But we would have thought that some of the other offers she has received would have been less likely than the ones listed above. Anyone else want to share theirs?

Members don't see this ad.

hmmmm, well, as for maricopa and banner, I got interviews at both places but I also live in AZ. Maybe they think AZ residents are more likely to stay here? I did rotations (thought NOT psych) at both hospitals. One of my LORs was from an attending who did her psych residency at banner.

Maricopa only did 38 interviews last year for 6 spots, and this upcoming year they are only going to have 4 spots, so maybe they are doing less interviews.

My short advice is that it's still early, and maybe they just haven't sent out more waves of interview invites yet. :luck:

hmmmm, well, as for maricopa and banner, I got interviews at both places but I also live in AZ. Maybe they think AZ residents are more likely to stay here? I did rotations (thought NOT psych) at both hospitals. One of my LORs was from an attending who did her psych residency at banner.

Maricopa only did 38 interviews last year for 6 spots, and this upcoming year they are only going to have 4 spots, so maybe they are doing less interviews.

My short advice is that it's still early, and maybe they just haven't sent out more waves of interview invites yet. :luck:

Yeah, the invites still might come through but at this point I don't think we'll be able to fit it into her schedule. They could have been strong candidates, oh well can't interview at them all I guess!:D

I just thought this might be an interesting topic as the other thread is more of which invites are you hoping for and this one is more which invites did you think you'd already have.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would imagine that as the programs look at applicants they are going to be making some assumptions about whether or not an applicant is likely to actually rank them highly. They know that we all have "back up" programs and I'm sure it's a delicate balance for them to choose applicants that are a reach for them vs those that are most likely to rank their program highly. Just my two cents.

This whole process has made me wonder how much easier it would be if everyone could just agree to only apply to the places they actually want to go. :laugh: I added more places to my list after reading over SDN. I know some of them are fairly random, and I don't expect to be my top choices, but then again, I'm really excited about some of my "randoms" now!

University of Wisconsin -- applied there initially and didn't get an interview even though I know others have. I withdrew about 2 weeks ago, so I don't know if I would have eventually gotten an interview or not. Good program but one that I would think I was competitive for.

I didn't hear from Wisconsin either and withdrew earlier this week. I'm a little surprised that I haven't heard from Washington. Haven't withdrawn from there yet, but by now, so many invites for them have gone out that I doubt they'll rank me that highly if I do interview. I guess/hope it's just an East Coast bias.

University of Wisconsin -- applied there initially and didn't get an interview even though I know others have. I withdrew about 2 weeks ago, so I don't know if I would have eventually gotten an interview or not. Good program but one that I would think I was competitive for.

very weird. honestly I was kinda surprised I got an interview when I have 2 friends who also did not get invites and have very similar apps to mine. I don't know what's going on up there :rolleyes:

East Tennessee State
Meharry
University of Tennessee-Memphis
The program in galveston
Mississippi

I think for amg's who applied on 9/1 with basically a complete application, they are pretty much dried up. Applied to 34, recieved 11, was hoping for 15 :(

East Tennessee State
Meharry
The program in galveston
Mississippi

I think for amg's who applied on 9/1 with basically a complete application, they are pretty much dried up. Applied to 34, recieved 11, was hoping for 15 :(

Don't give up hope, my wife has had a few trickle in recently. She's an AMG who applied 9/1. Hopefully it all works out for you.

Yeah, I am a little confused....applied to 22 programs, about half of which are in California. Got invites from all other programs EXCEPT California so far, including some really good programs. Did get a flat out rejection from Stanford. :)

I think my application is pretty competitive, but I did submit my application a little late (mid-September.) Hoping that there are still some interviews to be offered. We'll see.

Is there any reason to withdraw your applications to programs that you want to go to? You can cancel other interviews to fit in the programs you would rather go to in the off-chance that you do get an interview. I don't see the rationale for withdrawing if you already paid to send your application. Can someone please enlighten me?

Is there any reason to withdraw your applications to programs that you want to go to? You can cancel other interviews to fit in the programs you would rather go to in the off-chance that you do get an interview. I don't see the rationale for withdrawing if you already paid to send your application. Can someone please enlighten me?

There's not. I just withdrew from programs I would probably decline interviews from anyway.

East Tennessee State
Meharry
The program in galveston
Mississippi

Bah, you give up too easily man. :) I am pretty confident you will make it to 15. You will most likely hear from some more programs in November after they read your dean's letter, and a few more will probably trickle in during Dec/Jan as people cancel.