Anyone else applying to Irish unis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jane2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just applied to Irish unis via the CAO and was wondering if there was anyone else in the same situation..............?

Where's your first choice of uni? Where've you applied? Don't suppose anyone's heard anything yet?! :D

It'd be good to find some others to go thru this process with..... I can hardly find anyone and yet statistically, there are a LOT of applicants out there somewhere!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I applied to RCSI, TCD, and UCD. What's CAO? I'm assuming its something like the Atlantic Bridge Program.

Good luck to everyone out there.

- Aks47

jane2 said:
I've just applied to Irish unis via the CAO and was wondering if there was anyone else in the same situation..............?

Where's your first choice of uni? Where've you applied? Don't suppose anyone's heard anything yet?! :D

It'd be good to find some others to go thru this process with..... I can hardly find anyone and yet statistically, there are a LOT of applicants out there somewhere!

aks47 said:
Hey,

I applied to RCSI, TCD, and UCD. What's CAO? I'm assuming its something like the Atlantic Bridge Program.

Good luck to everyone out there.

- Aks47

CAO is the applications process that Irish students have to undertake to get into university. AFAIK international graduates have to apply through it for all college courses as well, with the notable exception of medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
dr strangelove said:
CAO is the applications process that Irish students have to undertake to get into university. AFAIK international graduates have to apply through it for all college courses as well, with the notable exception of medicine.

Yup, that's right, it's just the application system.... I didn't realise that US applicants *had* to apply through Atlantic Bridge, is that right? I'm from the UK, btw, and all EU applicants like me have to use CAO.

I've applied to TCD (my first choice), UCD, and UCC.

i've not been able to visit any of them yet though and so have very little info on the facilities at each uni, apart from what each uni's own website tells you (i.e. that it's great.) I think basically UCD has better facilities though, but TCD has better reputation on the whole, UCD has debatably better teaching for medicine, TCD has a better location and more history etc.

So when you apply through Atlantic Bridge, would you get offers from more than one college and you can choose? Or would you just get accepted by one?

I don't really know how it works with the ABP...for that matter, I don't think anybody knows.

On the ABP application form, there was no such field where we could indicate our preference. I'm pretty sure that in the end, we'll only get one admission offer.

Does anybody else know how it works with the ABP?

-- Aks47

jane2 said:
Yup, that's right, it's just the application system.... I didn't realise that US applicants *had* to apply through Atlantic Bridge, is that right? I'm from the UK, btw, and all EU applicants like me have to use CAO.

I've applied to TCD (my first choice), UCD, and UCC.

i've not been able to visit any of them yet though and so have very little info on the facilities at each uni, apart from what each uni's own website tells you (i.e. that it's great.) I think basically UCD has better facilities though, but TCD has better reputation on the whole, UCD has debatably better teaching for medicine, TCD has a better location and more history etc.

So when you apply through Atlantic Bridge, would you get offers from more than one college and you can choose? Or would you just get accepted by one?

jane2 said:

Your assessment of the Irish schools is more or less spot on. UCD's teaching is meant to be slightly better, but TCD has the reputation and history. Their medical school is even older than RCSI's. I think you're right to put TCD ahead though - don't get me wrong, UCD's a great place (I was there for 4 years) with an incredible standard of teaching, but the university itself as a whole was lacking in atmosphere. It's too remote from the city centre and it's quite hard to get to meet new people there. I've family attending TCD and it seems as if they do more to try and make 1st years feel at home.

Only getting one offer is one of the many, many things about Irish university admissions that's pathetic. But then again, if you're lucky enough to actually get into medicine in Ireland, you can't really afford to be fussy. Trust me, it's easier to get into a British university for medicine than an Irish one. Good luck anyway! :luck: