anyone doing the summer flexible program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got info from SUNY about their "Summer Flexible Program" for first years that runs for 6 weeks from 6/17-7/24 -- it's supposed to lighten your fall class load by pre-loading your summer. Are any of the SUNY soon-to-be first years here planning on doing it?

Do other schools offer this type of program? I think some of the med schools have it.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. My husband and I plan on being moved by June 1st, so theoretically I could do it. Plus it's only 3 days a week, Tues-Thurs... Hmmm...

Members don't see this ad.

Actually I haven't gotten it in the mail yet. I am thinking of doing it though since I don't really have any other plans. Did they mention what classes that will be offered? I also might see if I can do some volunteering with an optometrist over the summer for more exposure to the field.

adw -- I just got it in the mail today, so you should get yours soon. The letter doesn't say what classes specifically are offered, just that they are "two of the classes scheduled during the Fall quarter". It says about 15-20 students usually sign up for it.

BTW, the letter also includes the academic calendar for next year. Orientation is August 14th and 15th, and classes start August 18th! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
If ICO offered a program like that I would be there in a second! I have taken summer classes every summer since I started undergrad. I like them because you can usually get some of the req. classes out of the way and take ones you are actually interested in during the regular year. If you can lighten your load during the regular year, I say do it.

rpames -- that's really good advice. That extra time would also give me a chance to get "settled in" a little earlier (get used to the school, get into a routine, etc.). I'm just a little nervous about all the settling in and adjusting that's ahead of me when we move to NYC, get ready to sell our place here, begin weening the parents away from our constant presence nearby, etc. :(

(It's too early for me to already be stressing, isn't it? ;) )

Hi guys,

I know a few people who took the SUNY courses in the summer to lighten the load..even though i don't attend SUNY I would do it. The courses they offered last summer were histology and optometric orientation. They only take a certain amount, so i believe its first come, first serve.

Good Luck :)

Hey All,

I think I am gonna do the Summer Flexible program, but Im probably gonna commute for the six weeks before looking for a place when the fall quarter starts. I am about an hour and a half to two hours from the school.

greatone1010

That drive is going to suck!

Originally posted by rpames
That drive is going to suck!
At least classes are only 3 days a week, and they end at 3pm... But you'll definitely get a lot of studying done on the train! ;)

Originally posted by christie
The courses they offered last summer were histology and optometric orientation.
Thanks, christie! I don't know why they didn't say which courses they were in the letter they sent us (assuming it'll be the same classes...).

I'm still bummed things didn't work out for PCO. :( I love the school, and everyone I met there was terrific. I'm sure I'm going to love going to SUNY, though! :D

I'm officially signed up for the summer flex program at SUNY. I just bought my first textbook for optometry school -- "Wheater's Functional Histology". :D Any other SUNY peeps signed up?

If anyone is buying textbooks from half.com, they have a "coupon" -- $5 off $10 or more, use BIRDIE; $15 off $50 or more, use SEMESTER.

Hey guys. I'm doing the SUNY reflexible program too.

I've always had good luck with optometry school textbooks on ecampus.com as well. Check them out. Also, if you want to help out SDN..... click on the amazon.com link on the SDN website and check out their prices.

Hey All,

I am also doing the summer flexible program at SUNY. Did anyone receive their financial aid award letter or know when its suppose to come?