anyone doing extension @ UC in so cal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elvingomez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any at UCI, UCR, UCLA?

Members don't see this ad.

i am looking at this as an option for pre med next year... i would like to know the details on this method. how fast can it be done in? how much $$$?

Members don't see this ad :)
For UCLA extensions, you would need to complete Life Science 1, 2, 3, and 4, Physics 6A, 6B, 6C, Chemistry 14A, 14B, 14BL, 14C, 14CL, and 14D. That's 11 classes, plus the two labs. UCLA extension courses vary in price. Check out www.unex.ucla.edu. Also, for the physics sequence, you need 2 semesters or 3 quarters of calculus. I believe the physics and chemistry sequences "begin" with the first course in the Fall, and so on. I'm a UCLA undergrad now, and I wouldn't recommend taking science classes there. They are very, very competitive, and somewhat impersonal. Many of those extension classes are an all-day Saturday thing, so I don't know how many you can take each quarter.

I'd opt for a Cal State if I were you. I'm leaning towards going to SFSU beginning in the summer of 2004. I've heard many good things about SFSU. You should go there too, and we can become study buddies :laugh:.

SFSU is also an option at this point :) but so is UCI, UCR, Scripps, USC, and CSULA

Are UCI and UCR an option? I called UCI, and they said they are NOT taking post bacs. If you have any info on UCR, please share it :)! USC is TOO expensive! Scripps is VERY difficult to get in to. When I called Jodi Olsen, the Scripps rep, she basically said I didn't have a shot at getting in. She said they are looking for "older students with work and other life experiences." Since I will graduate in June 2004 (I'll be 21 years old), she said if would be "hard for them to consider me." What classes do you need to take? I already applied to CSULA, SFSU, and SJSU. I really like how SFSU is set up, however.

regarding Scripps... it's an awesome program, and you'll come out of there absolutely competitive. The training is fantastic, the faculty sincerely care about you and your outcomes, and the student environment is one of the most cohesive and supportive ones I've come across.

And what Jodi says is true... "most" of their students are older. But I was 21 when I started the Scripps program (although I had been out and working full time for 1 year already), and I did perfectly fine in the program. Sure, they did tell me towards the end that initially there was a little bit of a concern that due to the young age, that I would not be mature enough. But you can demonstrate maturity regardless.

And there actually was one student my year who came in to the program straight out of undergrad. But he ended up dropping out in the middle of the fall semester, having realized that he was not prepared for the work-load and the dedication that was necessary. But once again, you can easily demonstrate that you are capable of handling a heavy work load, that you've done your research, and that you're committed to your career goals.

Don't choose not to apply to Scripps just because of that one phone conversation. Jodi was merely telling you what is true of most students in the program. But you can always end up as an exceptional outlier.

Good luck.