Anyone doing a masters? Post bacc? PhD? Any other types to raise credentials?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mizzoudude

I am a 3.2 overall with a 25 MCAT.

I am going to be doing a masters program in physiology and biophysics at the University of Louisville. I hope to get a 4.0 in the program and kick ass next year on the MCAT (I have already started to study and I hope to get a 30+ on it).

I hope to be employed by a hospital...trying to get a job in the ER (anyone know a good way to get a job in such a competitive department). I have lots of hospital experience. I also hope to volunteer with some local organizations.

I hope to apply to medical school in 2006 for 2007 admissions. Anyone else want to share their story? We can all work as a team and achieve our goals. Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

3.29 cumulative, 3.33 science. 22 MCAT (10, 5, 7)

I already have my bachelor's. I'm married, so I can't really go anywhere for a 1-year master's program. Primarily a DO applicant, so my numbers aren't really *that* bad as they are.

Currently I'm in a phlebotomy course which will finish in September. I'm hoping to quickly move into a job as a phlebotomist for the experience and the paycheck. I'm also enrolled at a community college and will work towards either a diploma in surgical tech or ADN, haven't decided yet. The added science courses will raise my grades to 3.33 / 3.46. I also intend to take some advanced sciences through UC Berkeley extension if needed.

I'm scheduled to retake the MCAT next month.

:luck:

Just keep in mind that med schools rank their applicants only by undergrad GPA (thanks to USNews and the way they list schools) so if your UG science GPA is on the low side, it might be more beneficial for you to do a post-bacc program or re-take undergrad classes. Unfortunately, most schools don't factor masters degrees into GPA rankings at all. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Though I agree with the above poster that medical schools are ranked by undergraduate GPA's (USA today..or whoever does these rankings)...do you think they would pass up a M.S. student or a Ph.D. student who have outstanding grades? Just because they want their average to be higher for rankings? I do somewhat doubt that. How much is their average GPA going to go down if they admit lets say 10 out of the 150 students they accept....say they have a 3.0 GPA?

Lets say that the average GPA of all other good undergraduate students is a 3.6.... (3.6 * 140) <-----undergrads with good GPAs
+ (3.0 * 10) <-----grad students who have done well with crappy
undergrad GPAs
---------------
534 <-------total.....divided by the 150 students---->3.56

Do you think that they will say "oh my gosh...admitting 10 masters students who had a 4.0 will decrease our average undergradute GPA about 0.04 points" or would they admit these students seeing that they have improved quite well after a crappy undergraduate performance?
Is this math and reasoning correct or did I mess up somewhere?

In my thinking, I do not think that a school (especially those that are not ivy league) will mind having a 4.0 masters student over a 3.6 or 3.7 undergrad student. This is especially true if the masters student has also done better on the MCAT...thus increasing the MCAT average...

This is my thinking and that is why I am going to pursue a masters program at the University of Louisville. My undergrad GPA as stated is a 3.2 with a 25 MCAT. I hope to do really well in the program (4.0) and get a better MCAT score (30+) to show that I can handle the load of work that is given.
If not, I may pursue a D.O. degree (which I plan to apply to next year) or a carribbean school (which I also plan to apply to).

Also, not doing a post-bacc and doing a masters degree atleast gives you the degree...with a post bacc, you do not end up getting anything. Atleast a masters degree will give you some job opportunities in the future.

Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks all for reading.

I'm doin a masters. Didnt get accepted to MD for this year.
-3.69 cum 3.92 BCMP in undergrad
-34Q 11PS, 10VR, 13BS but applied with 29M last year
-Graduated in 2004 from UNH, kinesiology/exercise science
-full year of clinical work in group practice ortho
-current research at NIH which should get at least one publication, research is on osteoarthritis in non-human primates

Entering Hopkins' MHS degree in reproductive bio. Will be continuing my work at NIH as well. Hoping to write my thesis on anabolic steroids' affects on the reproductive system, so that it will be relevant when I probably pursue a career in ortho/sports medicine.

Jim

What do you guys think would be a better job for this upcoming year? Research assistant/gopher or nursing assistant? I already have a year of hospital volunteering, some physician shadowing but no research experience.

JDWflash44 said:
I'm doin a masters. Didnt get accepted to MD for this year.
-3.69 cum 3.92 BCMP in undergrad
-34Q 11PS, 10VR, 13BS but applied with 29M last year
-Graduated in 2004 from UNH, kinesiology/exercise science
-full year of clinical work in group practice ortho
-current research at NIH which should get at least one publication, research is on osteoarthritis in non-human primates

Entering Hopkins' MHS degree in reproductive bio. Will be continuing my work at NIH as well. Hoping to write my thesis on anabolic steroids' affects on the reproductive system, so that it will be relevant when I probably pursue a career in ortho/sports medicine.

Jim
the 34 will be a big help for you. but i've got to ask - how in the hell did you get an interview on The Farm with a 29 and being a car salesman??

housecleaning said:
the 34 will be a big help for you. but i've got to ask - how in the hell did you get an interview on The Farm with a 29 and being a car salesman??

I really have no idea, it was a late interview, late march, before i got invited in the beginning of february I just figured that my rejection letter was lost in the mail. Goes to show you how random the process can be i guess :confused:

Jim

I'm not sure if I'll change my mind on this, but probably not...

I didn't get in 2 years in a row (although I think my getting seriously ill and in the hospital for a month and missing a semester of school right in the middle of the app process didn't help me at all the first time). 3.67 overall gpa, 27 MCAT.

Was going to apply for time #3 this year, but then found out I could apply for the RT program here for this fall....so I ended up doing that. So, I'm going straight into the professional part of the program...2 years to another B.S and then I'll be an RT. I figure the med school itch will never leave me (since I've wanted it since I was probably 5), so in 2 years, I'll most likely apply again (and take the MCAT again since I last took it in 2003 and it was mentioned as an issue in all interviews too). That way I'll have lots of good clinical experience in the field that they'll hopefully like...and well, if it doesn't happen again, then at least I'll have something good to fall back on (instead of right now where I can't really do anything with my degree other than go back to school it seems).

First JWDflash...you have some incredible stats and some incredible ECs. I am almost positive that you will get into a program this year. I am willing to bet my chips on the fact that you will be accepted to a med school for the 2006 class.

I am dissapointed in not many others are pursuing a masters or a higher degree before applying to medical school. I hope I am making the correct decision in doing so. I am doing a 2 year program, because 1) I am going to have a lag year anyway, 2)all my or most of my course work will be done in the first year...and then I will apply to school and 3) Most schools want you to finish the masters before attending their school.

Thanks for all the info and keep it coming. Thanks all.

I went on to complete my Ph.D. I'm not sure if it helped that much. I think MCAT scores will make a difference whether you go get a higher degree or not.

Dr. Z,
Since I have a 25 on the MCAT, I definately agree that with my crappy 3.2 GPA I was automatically screened out with the crappy MCAT scores.

I definately need to start studying for the MCAT once my classes start rolling. I need to get a 32+ combined with a 4.0 in my masters program to have a chance.

Anyone else in this boat and what remedies are you looking towards? Thanks.

I'm probably older than most of you and have a lower GPA but I'm going to give it a shot anyway. I will take the MCAT in Aug and see how it goes. My GPA was 2.7 and from what I see everyone seems to think I will never get in. I also have a Masters where I got a 3.8 so that might help but everyone also seems to think that doesn't count.....

In any case, you can't listen to others, so just go for it. By the way Louisville is one of the places I will apply. UK is the other. I expect to get 27-30 on the MCAT which given my low GPA may not be good enough. Time will tell...

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious to know where you are from if you are applying to U of L and UK? I just moved to Louisville in pursuit of the masters program and in hopes of applying next year.

Your GPA is weak, but so is mine...I have a 3.27 I believe. And an even lower BCMP GPA probably. However, why do you also say that a masters program will not help? Don't you think it will make you stand out? The only problem is that some argue that you will be screened out if you have a lower than 3.0 undergrad GPA (no matter how high your masters GPA is). I do not know if this is true, but it kind of makes sense.
I am pursuing a masters incase I do not get into school again even after I do much better on the MCAT. A masters will give me other job opportunities. My argument against a one year masters over a two year masters in that you are going to have a lag year anyway...and why not keep doing some clases during the lag year?

I am going to go talk to the admissions counselor at U of L on the 4th of August to make sure that my masters GPA will count for something and ask her if doing a post bacc with undergrad classes would be a better idea. I am not going to give up at all and I do not think you should either. Here is a link to the program that I am going to be doing and if you click on the other link that is provided, it shows what students with the masters are doing now...many of them get accepted to medical school. I hope this helps and please keep this message board for those of us doing post-baccs, masters, or PhD programs going with more questions/comments/insights. Thanks again.

http://www.louisville.edu/medschool/physiology/ <----main program page

http://www.louisville.edu/medschool/physiology/degawded.htm <---notice the number of students who have entered medical school from 2003. I will also ask how many went from 2004 when the info is presented. Good luck to you and keep the info coming. Peace!

I'm from Lexington, not originally but that's where I work now. It seems most people think that you will be screened out with a low GPA and that Master's degrees don't count for a number of reasons. I'm not sure why that would be and it doesn't make sense to me. I'm trying to find out more from a friend of mine whose dad works at UK exactly what they look for. I have some prereq issues also so I will probably get rejected this year and have to decide on what to do at that point. It's hard to take a lot of undergrad courses when you are working and they don't offer a lot of them at night....

Keep me posted and maybe we will be going through the process next year together.

Applied 2x unsuccessfully with 3.2 overall / 3.0 BCMP / 34 MCAT.

Re-took MCAT, raised to 37. Did master's program in health policy at Johns Hopkins. Reapplied this year with much better results. :)

IMHO, a master's program is a great step for any re-applicants who want to really improve their chances. My interviewers asked me tons of questions about the program and what I'd learned.

That's just my $0.02.

I applied during my second year of a Masters program with a 38 on the MCAT and 3.0 undergrad GPA. I got rejected everywhere. This time I have completed my Masters, with a 3.45 GPA (3.8 after 1st semester), and still have a 3.0 undergrad. We'll see how it goes. I have a diffeent personal statement and recommendations as well. I am also working on bringing my undergrad GPA up by taking a bunch of upper division Bio classes this next year.

Finally finalized what I'm doing (I'm DO only applicant)

Current stats
- B.S. in Experimental Psychology
- 3.29 cumulative
- 3.33 science
- some volunteering, shadowing, etc.
- Peer Leader / Asst instructor last fall for freshman-level course
- Pretty good LORs

What I'm doing
- Retaking MCAT
- Went back to alma mater for second degree in physics. Will only finish if not admitted.
- Retaking organic I
- Taking course in phlebotomy (PBT)
- Will be working as PBT
- May be working in law enforcement if things don't work out with PBT, but that would make me miss any interviews from Oct - Dec.
- Applying to Carib MD

Stats after this fall:
- 3.31 cumulative
- 3.51 science
- Shooting for 27-28 MCAT.

I'm just wondering where Steiner and AmatuerChef have been applying??? Those stats sound PDG.

1st time--
My state school, UConn, SUNY Buffalo, Rochester, & Loma Linda

2nd Time (with the help of pre-med advisor)--
State School, Oregon, Colorado, Utah, Stritch(Loyola), Pittsburgh, Temple, Drexel, Tufts, Duke, and Vermont

You didn't get accepted at any schools even though you had a 3.45 in your masters? What kind of masters are you doing? And a 38 on the MCAT??? Damn!
Those crazy adcom people have no crazy idea. What schools rejected you flat out? Did you get any interviews anywhere? I am definately going to get a 4.0 in my masters program...hope I can get a bunch of good LORs and do really well on the MCAT too.

I have a 3.2...maybe that will give me a little bit of an up on the application process. I will definately know after I go talk to the admissions counselor on the 4th of August. Thanks for sharing the info...

I applied halfway through my masters. Now I have a 3.45. I had a 3.3 then, I think. I got one interview at my state school. Hopefully, the fact that I am applying with a completed masters degree will be a plus. I am also finishing a 2nd bachelors right now in biology. Hopefully that will help too. My masters is in Exercise Physiology, which by the way, is completely worthless. I can't get a job bagging groceries right now.

I appplied last year with a 3.23 GPA, 3.0 Sci, 32 MCAT and only got 2 interviews and 1 waitlist. This year I am doing the Georgetown SMP

Steiner said:
1st time--

State School, Oregon, Colorado, Utah, Stritch(Loyola), Pittsburgh, Temple, Drexel, Tufts, Duke, and Vermont

Thanks for posting the schools that you applied to. I am assuming that you are from NY?? Is that correct?

Also, with the help of a pre-med advisor, why did you apply to Oregon, Colorado, Utah, Loyola, etc....aren't those out of state schools? Do they look favorably on out of state students? Thanks for the info buddy.

You are from NV...so the programs you are applying to are part of the WICHE program or whatever?

But how come you applied to a bunch of east coast schools? Do they look favorably upon out of state students? Thanks again...

Hey all,
I am kind of shocked right now at what I am reading. 32, 34 and 38 mcats and didn't get in? I'm sorry but at that point grades should be kind of pushed aside since it is well documented that mcat scores are a direct correlation with success on the USMLE's and med school in general. Grades can be so subjective anyways and a 3.4 is not a bad GPA. And a lot of you guys have so many activities and volunteering I really don't understand.

That being said I have a 3.4 and a 30 on 4 waitlists including one where my dad is alumni and a clinical professor at (wayne state). I'm going to apply for 2007 and am considering doing a masters program too. I started a thread so if you want to see what else I'm doing (volunteering in Israel and getting my EMT-B blabla). I really really don't want to do a masters I just want to go to med school and I'm so depressed about it. Especially since my boyfriend and 5 of my grade school friends are all going to wayne and I'm living at home struggling to get a job.
What are the good masters programs to do? I'm goign to apply to Wayne and Drexel and someone mentioned that Georgetown has one so I'm going to look into that too. Is anyone considering DO school too?

mizzoudude said:
You are from NV...so the programs you are applying to are part of the WICHE program or whatever?

But how come you applied to a bunch of east coast schools? Do they look favorably upon out of state students? Thanks again...

I didn't apply to WICHE because that only works if you live in a state without a state medical school. So Idaho, Wyoming, places like that get preference in NV and Colorado. You don't get any special treatment if you're from NV because we have a med school.

1st time through I just applied to places that looked like my stats might be ok for and that I had friends and family near. The only schools I didn't even bother with were those that said "do not take out-of-state applicants."

Some of the schools I applied to this time are long shots (i.e. Utah, Colorado) but they're close to family. So, if by some miracle I get in they would become very high on my list. All the other schools were ones that my advisor said I would be competitive. We'll see.

Thanks for the response about the schools and such. I hope you get into one of the schools if you are applying next year...

Like I said...I have a 3.2 and 25...not stellar at all. I am going to work my butt of to get that MCAT score up atleast another 5-10 points. After doing a masters with a 4.0 hopefully I will have a decent shot at my state schools.

I have an interview with the adcom director in a few minutes...my questions about getting screened out by the undergrad GPA and if a post-bac program would be a better option will be cleared up I hope.

If anyone else is pursuing the masters route or any other post bac routes, please contribute your plans or success stories.

berry said:
Hey all,
I am kind of shocked right now at what I am reading. 32, 34 and 38 mcats and didn't get in?

I agree that it is suprising but it is understandable if you live in a competitive state like California, Massachusetts, most states in the northeast coast in general and other states where it's difficult to get in.

And this leads me to another point, it may be worth moving to and getting residency in a state that is "less competitive" There are a lot of states like this that only have one medical school but accept half the in state residents that apply. The trend with a lot of these schools is their average applicant has a higher than normal GPA but a much lower MCAT. A lot of these non-competitive state schools would kill for an applicant with a high MCAT because it's rare that they see these type of MCAT scores.

Steiner said:
1st time--

It's obvious why you didn't get in the first time. You essentially only applied to 2 schools because Loma Linda is religious and demands 7th Day Adventists. UConn and SUNY are state school and is unlikely to accept someone from another state like yourself.

That pretty much left Rochester and your state school.

You will get in somewhere you second time around.

Also, do some mock interviews. Everyone thinks he or she interviews well and takes that part for granted. You might find you need to improve certain areas of your interview and how you present yourself especially if you have a 38 MCAT. Adcoms are going to question why someone with an insane MCAT didn't get in to at least one school you will be scrutinized at your interview more than others. You will be getting the Nerd/Socially Inept Stereotype label so make certain you do whatever you can to erase that perception. If you are a quiet and kind of studious aka nerd you need to do an image overhaul. Even if you are not that way but for whatever reason, you give that impression to others, you need to erase that perception. Think California layed back guy, smile and be generally affable.

Daelroy,
Thanks for the post. I agree with most of your analysis….but a few things. I do not think that medical schools will not want to take a 4.0 masters student because of his/her crappy GPA because of the math below…I posted in another thread but couldn’t find it.

Lets say that in a med school of 150 students, 140 traditional undergrads are admitted with a 3.6 GPA. 10 students are graduate students with a 4.0 masters GPA and a 3.0 undergraduate GPA. Lets do the math for the total average:

140 undergrads X 3.6 GPA = 504
10 graduate students (4.) X 3.0 undergrad GPA= 30

Total =534 divided by total of 150 students ------------------------------------------------------------------------->3.56

Do you think the med school is going to care about a 0.04 GPA average decrease? In my opinion I do not think so.

The adcomm director said that the med school (my state school anyway) looks at most recent work. She told me either a post bacc or a masters with a min of 12 credit semesters for 2 semesters with good grades would show necessary improvement.
This is where I think the MCAT kicks in. To really show that you have mastered the material/turned it around one needs a kick ass MCAT (30+) to offset the weak GPA.

Tell me what you all think..thanks…

mizzoudude said:
Daelroy,
Thanks for the post. I agree with most of your analysis….but a few things. I do not think that medical schools will not want to take a 4.0 masters student because of his/her crappy GPA because of the math below…I posted in another thread but couldn’t find it.

Lets say that in a med school of 150 students, 140 traditional undergrads are admitted with a 3.6 GPA. 10 students are graduate students with a 4.0 masters GPA and a 3.0 undergraduate GPA. Lets do the math for the total average:

140 undergrads X 3.6 GPA = 504
10 graduate students (4.) X 3.0 undergrad GPA= 30

Total =534 divided by total of 150 students ------------------------------------------------------------------------->3.56

Do you think the med school is going to care about a 0.04 GPA average decrease? In my opinion I do not think so.

The adcomm director said that the med school (my state school anyway) looks at most recent work. She told me either a post bacc or a masters with a min of 12 credit semesters for 2 semesters with good grades would show necessary improvement.
This is where I think the MCAT kicks in. To really show that you have mastered the material/turned it around one needs a kick ass MCAT (30+) to offset the weak GPA.

Tell me what you all think..thanks…

Every medical school is different so the school you are interested in sounds like they are pretty forgiving and are willing to give a lot of weight to your Masters performance. That's great but that isn't the case everywhere. Not every medical school is like this and you can't assume this is the case. Every adcom has it's own flavor. It comes down to personalities on the adcom. You have to figure out what they want and then act accordingly. You can gather this information by calling the admissions office and setting up an appointment. They will pretty much tell what they want. Seriously bro, it is crazy. Some adcoms prefer Masters; some prefer postbac; some prefer you just retake the MCAT and score 5 points or higher; Some love research....it just depends!

The big mistake is when one assumes there is a single right method without researching the medical school they have the best chance of being accepted to. Obviously you have spoken to your adcom which is smart so you know they value you your Masters work. Good job! Others reading this should learn that it's pointless guessing what an adcom wants. CALL THEM! :)

Our stories are pretty similar...

JKDMed said:
I already have my bachelor's.
Check!
JKDMed said:
Currently I'm in a phlebotomy course which will finish in September.

I'm certified as a phlebo with 4 years experience...
JKDMed said:
I'm also enrolled at a community college and will work towards either a diploma in surgical tech or ADN, haven't decided yet.
I'm premed, but I've been accepted to BOTH programs in my state...
JKDMed said:
I'm scheduled to retake the MCAT next month.
You got me on that one! I haven't taken the MCAT yet! I may have a little useful advice. PM if you get the chance, and good luck with everything!

CrazyPremed

I'm retaking the MCAT in 2 weeks and I applied twice after college only to get waitlisted. Average grades 28MCAT....I missed by a hair.

I have basically been told that I can go to Tulane Med School...I'm working on my PhD in a med school lab...but I'm sure I'll get plenty of interviews even if I get a 27 or a 28 on the MCAT again...I plan on doing better! I want to go somewhere else.

I have numerous friends who got masters and phds before reapplying to medical school and...I actually think many schools prefer these to post bacs. A post bac will tell them that you are more mature now and CAN get those grade levels they want..but a masters or a phd is a whole 'nother degree! You'll have it for the rest of your life and they show off the number of students who already have phds and masters in there 'stats'

None of the people who got a phd had any problem getting into med school...and for that matter great ones UofI, Wash U, U of Chicago, Tulane, UCal SanFran..and the 3 I know personally didn't get a 30 or a 29 on the MCAT...these are the people who get in to Ucal schools with a 26 MCAT and balance out with those 34MCAT no-graduate degree people.

A masters with better MCAT scores will get you interviews...trust me. You can get a masters in one year...phds take 5-7.

I would get the lab job over the nurses assistant. That nurse thing would probably help you get into nursing school;-) I have lots of nurse friends too.

Sounds like you've got a good game plan but don't give too much credit to the guy who said that graduate degrees don't count...I have many friends who did a postbac and got in and many friends who did a postbac...and didn't! One's starting in the carribean after having worked in a research lab for 5 years and taking the MCAT too many times to count.

No one who went to grad school that I know didn't get in!

Keep that in mind;-)

Good Luck!

-s

I would agree with the above nalysis in regards to one being more competitive with a PhD. But no one just gets their PhD in between applying to medical school. Most PhD's in anything science related takes an average of 6 years to complete. The MD/PhD programs are different but most of those require 7 total years to finish. I would hope one wouldn't waste 6 years of their life getting a PhD if their purpose was to use as a tool to get into medical school.

And I agree with the above in regards to Masters degrees. They are extremely subjective and don't tell an adcom how hard you worked especially if they are thesis/research driven. I personally several MPH and MS graduates that had to reapply even after finishing their graduate degrees. A postbac, however, is well understood by adcoms. They are less subjective than graduate degrees. Postbac degrees include standard classes that are graded on written exams thus they are more objective. There are no frivolous research based classes like "topics in research" or some joke of a class that is on-line in nature. With postbac degrees, adcoms know what they are getting. And in this way, a postbac is more representative of a medical school basic sciences curriculum. It's for these reasons why I think many adcoms would give a postbac student an edge when applying to medical school.

Something else I have noticed on SDN is that most re-applicants are Masters students or students in the process of completing their Masters. I have not read of too many students claim to have completed a postbac and then state they haven't gotten accepted to any medical school. Maybe the above poster observed the opposite in his experience but at least on studentdoctor, I have not witnessed many postbac students reapplying after they completed their respective postbac program. That may or may not be a coincidence but I thought it was an interesting observation nonetheless.

daelroy said:
Honestly, a medical school would rather have a 3.7 undergrad student than a 3.3 undergrad, 4.0 masters student any day of the week. So let's make that clear.

But make sure you are really selective with your Masters degree because some Masters degrees are jokes depending on the institution and medical schools are weary of some graduate degrees that are ambiguous.

Lastly, a Masters degree does not really give you a major edge when being chosen for residency UNLESS your MS
1. involved a lot of research in which you were able to publish something
2. your research was relevant to medicine and particularly the residency or field you were interested in applying to.
If your MS doesn't satisfy both of these requirments, it's not really going to going to impact your residency selection in the least bit.

A PhD is different. Having a PhD will impact your residency selection and influence the "judging" per say.

i think mizzoudude has a solid counterpoint to your first assertion that med schools prefer a 3.7 undergrad to a 3.3 under, 4.0 grad; buried somewhere in your posts, youve also made a solid counterpoint to your first assertion:
"Every adcom has it's own flavor. It comes down to personalities on the adcom." indeed.

im interested in what you mean by an "ambiguous graduate degree"--the field is ambiguous/not-well-known, or the school is "ambiguous?" in either case, you reach the salient point of your post with the two criteria for having an impactful graduate degree: i agree with that "per se"

do not forget that many masters programs are split into a didactic year (30+ credits) and a research year.

in short, i think youve misinterpreted the basic importance of a masters in a hard science as it affects your entire application

just my $.02

CUarzt said:
i think mizzoudude has a solid counterpoint to your first assertion that med schools prefer a 3.7 undergrad to a 3.3 under, 4.0 grad; buried somewhere in your posts, youve also made a solid counterpoint to your first assertion:
"Every adcom has it's own flavor. It comes down to personalities on the adcom." indeed.

You are arguing one would be better off with a 3.0 undergrad GPA/4.0 Masters than a student with 3.7 undergrad GPA and no Masters?

do not forget that many masters programs are split into a didactic year (30+ credits) and a research year.

Adcoms have not forgotten that point either,which is why many are leary of graduate GPA's. I think you are forgetting these research credits are graded on subjective criteria. I know at my host institution, it's difficult to earn less than an A in these research classes. You would really have to not show up at all or pour sugar in your advisor's gas tank.

in short, i think youve misinterpreted the basic importance of a masters in a hard science as it affects your entire application

That depends on the applicant. An applicant with a 3.7 undergrad/4.0 masters who never applied to medical school will be perceived differently than a 3.0 undergrad/4.0 masters who applied and was rejected from medical school the year prior. It's obvious the first applicant was genuinely interested in graduate education while the latter applicant was using the graduate degree as a backdoor to medical school. If you think an adcom can't distinguish between the two, you are mistaken.

you left space for my responses: quite considerate!

novacek88 said:
You are arguing one would be better off with a 3.0 undergrad GPA/4.0 Masters than a student with 3.7 undergrad GPA and no Masters?

i pointed out that mizzoudude and dealroy demonstrated that the situation is not as extreme as an adcom choosing a 3.7 undergrad over a 3.3 undergrad/4.0 masters simply because masters programs are "ambiguous." you know this process well enough to understand that different adcoms are turned on by different achievements/routes: remember the forum in which we are posting: i have suggested that a 3.3 undergrad/4.0 masters in hard science is, to many adcoms, as competitive as the 3.7 undergrad, first time applicant. don't read into it any further than that!

novacek88 said:
Adcoms have not forgotten that point either,which is why many are leary of graduate GPA's. I think you are forgetting these research credits are graded on subjective criteria. I know at my host institution, it's difficult to earn less than an A in these research classes. You would really have to not show up at all or pour sugar in your advisor's gas tank.

you have a good point here; however, when i used the word "didactic," i referred to graduate level classes which are not research-oriented. and you may say, "well aren't they all?," but indeed they are not. for instance, my master's program includes one year of 32 credits: mammalian physiology, histology, biochemistry, and anatomy. our theses nor our "research-skills" are not meant to be honed during this year: i used "didactic" because that is truly what it is: "involving lecture and textbook instruction rather than demonstration and laboratory study." you are, though, exactly right about many graduate gpas: at my host institution, where i was surrounded by grad students in the lab in which i worked, these fluff As abounded; but just as many programs had the didactic component prior to or in the midst of research. i do agree that many adcoms are leary about graduate gpas, but i think this is probably as frivolous an argument as grade inflation at school X vs. school Y. (ie, let the adcoms sort it out)

novacek88 said:
That depends on the applicant. An applicant with a 3.7 undergrad/4.0 masters who never applied to medical school will be perceived differently than a 3.0 undergrad/4.0 masters who applied and was rejected from medical school the year prior. It's obvious the first applicant was genuinely interested in graduate education while the latter applicant was using the graduate degree as a backdoor to medical school. If you think an adcom can't distinguish between the two, you are mistaken.

i am not mistaken, because i hope they can distinguish between the two. again, all else being equal, i suggest that there is nothing "wrong" with pursuing graduate level work (masters or otherwise) to demonstrate your ability and, very importantly, your hunger for a medical education. don't forget that most posters here are in this boat--having to "prove" their ability and desire after a not-so-convincing undergrad or mcat.

second, in your scenario, you use the "backdoor to medical school" rather slangily (and i hope not, disparagingly): what's to say this first-time applicant did not go straight to graduate school, knowing full well he wouldn't gain admission straight out of undergrad? maybe he'll write this in his personal statement? further, i think it is horrendous and extremely nearsighted to suggest that the only "non-backdoor" way into a medical education is through one application, either after undergraduate or graduate schooling. this is a journey: for many, whose abilities and desire are indeed what they should be, this path is full of holes. accepting this and demonstrating you are able to overcome them and "get back on the horse" is something i do hope the adcoms can glean from my application as well as each poster in this forum.

at any rate, ive tried to reillustrate my original point--it's possible we simply view this thing in different lights. if that's the case, our experiences probably have led us to these perspectives, and that's about all i can tell you.

CUarzt said:
i have suggested that a 3.3 undergrad/4.0 masters in hard science is, to many adcoms, as competitive as the 3.7 undergrad, first time applicant. don't read into it any further than that.

Your suggestion is wrong and you need to be aware of that. A student that earns a 3.7 undergraduate gpa shows he or she was mature, consistent and responsible the first time. Adcoms do reward these applicants for demonstrating this consistency and this is why a first applicant with a 3.7 will be given preference over a 3.2 undergrad/4.0 masters applicant every single time. This is pretty well accepted fact and no adcom would argue otherwise. I challenge you to call or e-mail any adcom and they will not disagree with the above. This is why it's much better being a first time applicant with a 3.7 GPA than a student who screwed up in college and earned a 3.0 GPA and then later enrolled in a masters and earned a 4.0. Your insistence upon suggesting otherwise is rather silly and shows how little you know of the admissions process.

you have a good point here; however, when i used the word "didactic," i referred to graduate level classes which are not research-oriented

I know what you meant, but the other half of your curriculum is not composed of didactic courses. You said only half your courses were didactic. So if 50% of your curriculum are composed subjective classes, that could cause an adcom to be leary of your GPA. That's all I was saying. It really depends on the type of masters degree you are pursuing. Some only include didactic courses and don't require a thesis. If you earn a 4.0 in this type of masters program, that will do more to compensate for a lower ug/GPA than a masters that included a lot of subjective research credits.

i am not mistaken, because i hope they can distinguish between the two. again, all else being equal, i suggest that there is nothing "wrong" with pursuing graduate level work (masters or otherwise) to demonstrate your ability and, very importantly, your hunger for a medical education. don't forget that most posters here are in this boat--having to "prove" their ability and desire after a not-so-convincing undergrad or mcat.

I couldn't agree more. I think a masters is an excellent option. Also, you can get a leg up if you know you want to pursue say cardiology. In your masters work, you can elect to do research in cardiology and maybe even get published. That would give you a significant advantage if you are an internal medicine resident applying for a cardiology fellowship. In my opinion, if someone has a 3.0-3.5 GPA, that person should pursue a masters over a postbac. Their GPA isn't that bad and a masters could help improve the application as a whole. If you have below a 3.0 GPA, I would enroll in a postbac because the candidate needs to raise his or her u/GPA to at least a semi-competitive level (hopefully a 3.0-3.2).

i think it is horrendous and extremely nearsighted to suggest that the only "non-backdoor" way into a medical education is through one application, either after undergraduate or graduate schooling. this is a journey: for many, whose abilities and desire are indeed what they should be, this path is full of holes. accepting this and demonstrating you are able to overcome them and "get back on the horse" is something i do hope the adcoms can glean from my application as well as each poster in this forum.

Spare me your melodrama...No, it's not a journey full of holes for everyone and that's where you are mistaken. Many applicants took great pains to make certain there were not holes in their application. They were disciplined, mature and responsible to earn a high GPA and make themselves a competitive applicant the first time. The study of medicine is a priviledge and not a right. While your path may have included several holes, there are many candidates whose path did not include holes. And these students deserve credit for being responsible and making sacrafices to ensure they had no holes (low gpa). Medical schools are not required to accept someone whose journey included several mistakes like yourself. They are only required to accept the most capable student. A student who was responsible and consistent the first time and earned a 3.7 is demonstrating more capability than a student who didn't study enough in college and then went back and earned a 4.0 in a masters. You need to take responsibility for the mistakes you committed during your undergraduate years. No one gave you the non-competitive undergraduate GPA that forced you to pursue a masters degree. Yes, you are very much taking a backdoor route to medical school. If that term sounds "horrendous" then you need to come to grips with reality and realize that being a reapplicant isn't meant to be an easy process. It was your duty in college to demonstrate responsibility and discipline and you failed to do that which is why you are forced to taking this backdoor method.

CUartz said:
i pointed out that mizzoudude and dealroy demonstrated that the situation is not as extreme as an adcom choosing a 3.7 undergrad over a 3.3 undergrad/4.0 masters simply because masters programs are "ambiguous." you know this process well enough to understand that different adcoms are turned on by different achievements/routes: remember the forum in which we are posting:i have suggested that a 3.3 undergrad/4.0 masters in hard science is, to many adcoms, as competitive as the 3.7 undergrad, first time applicant. don't read into it any further than that!

I disagree with this suggestion. Succeeding in a masters can make one far more competitive but it won't make one as competitive as someone with a 3.7 first time applicant. Even at medical schools known to accepting re-applicants and others who pursue masters and postbacs, they still give preference to first time students with high gpa's. Allopathic schools are notorious for this. This is why AMCAS doesn't account for repeated grades like AACOMAS; they seen intent on penalizing students who didn't start their careers strong. If you notice there isn't a formal section on AMCAS that request applicants to list all of their graduate classes and compute a separate gpa based only on those classes. And then you have to factor in all of the schools that have minimum gpa cutoffs. Several state schools require a 3.0 overall undergraduate gpa to apply irregardless of one's graduate gpa. All of this data confirms medical schools still place undergraduate gpa at the top of the pedestal.

I believe there is a seperate section for graduate level courses on the AMCAS...the admissions director that I spoke to pulled out my AMCAS sheet and showed me where I would list them....and yes a seperate GPA is calculated for them....

Please explain what you think....

Well put sir. I agree with everything you are saying. I am sure the person you are posting about is grateful that he/she can do a masters program and can up the GPA....as am I. I do believe it is about growing up. I think he/she exaggerated when they said it was "horrendous" that doing a masters is called a backdoor. I mean what about D.O. school? Is that a back door for people with lower credentials but still want to go to medical school and become physicians? What about the carribbean?

I am not giving you melodrama either, but I did have it tougher than other students. Coming from parents who haven't been through an American college system, I was forced to figure out everything by myself. Coming from a poor family, I was forced to work full time while studying full time and integrating myself with friends and having a good time in college. Yes, I could have done better if I had missed a party session/bar session, etc. But also these things make you learn and grow up.
Not to be mean, but I know a kid who was the biggest of nerds: he studied a lot and always set the curve in class, he was nice, but his parents were rich as hell and he never had to work, he never partied...just studied all the time. I would try to be friendly to him as others would be, but he would just be a recluse. He got into medical school.....now think about it...if you are a teenage kid wanting to discuss your STD questions with your physician...given that they have the same knowledge would you be able to relate to someone who also partied/had a wild time in school, etc. or someone who didn't know the meaning of being social? This is not to say that those who party make better physicians, but growing up and having a second chance does give people to become more appreciative and better physicians in some cases.

I liked how you concluded that you both have different opinions on things, but they could come from how you both experienced things....I am so glad to see such an open minded person on SDN....I hope more people begin to realize that open minded tendencies need to grow....thanks dude for posting with such clarity...

mizzoudude said:
I believe there is a seperate section for graduate level courses on the AMCAS...the admissions director that I spoke to pulled out my AMCAS sheet and showed me where I would list them....and yes a seperate GPA is calculated for them....

Please explain what you think....

Unless things have changed, there was a separate blank in which you could list your graduate school and it's corresponding GPA, but there were not spaces for one to list every single graduate school course they took and a place to compute it's GPA. In the past people just submitted transcripts and hoped adcoms would look at their graduate transcripts. If there is such a change, I think that's a step in the right direction but I don't think it's anywhere near the point an adcom particularly an allopathic adcom would allow an applicant with a 3.3 undergraduate/4.0 masters to be on equal footing with a 3.7 undergraduate. I think osteopathic schools are different and are more considerate of graduate education and other factors.

novacek88 said:
So if 50% of your curriculum are composed subjective classes, that could cause an adcom to be leary of your GPA.

to be clear: the program i'm in, like many others, is one year didactic, one year research (not research-oriented classes.) so, in other words, of the entire masters program, one half is didactic classes, the other half is pure research toward the thesis. moot point at this juncture

novacek88 said:
I couldn't agree more. I think a masters is an excellent option.
novacek88 said:
In my opinion, if someone has a 3.0-3.5 GPA, that person should pursue a masters over a postbac.

then we have very little to continue with "in my opinion."

novacek88 said:
Spare me your melodrama...No, it's not a journey full of holes for everyone and that's where you are mistaken.

indeed it isn't a journey full of holes for everyone, but i'm beginning to wonder if you are aware of which forum you're using: for many applicants here, the journey is not a straight, purely-successful path.

novacek88 said:
Your insistence upon suggesting otherwise is rather silly and shows how little you know of the admissions process.
novacek88 said:
Medical schools are not required to accept someone whose journey included several mistakes like yourself. They are only required to accept the most capable student.

"like yourself...required to accept the most capable student": instead of having me read between the lines, you might find it more effective to be forthright with what you mean by those two last sentences.

no sense in being much more of a jerk, my friend: i think we both clearly have different takes on the matter, and i'm satisfied that both perspectives are on the table.

CUarzt said:
to be clear: the program i'm in, like many others, is one year didactic, one year research (not research-oriented classes.) so, in other words, of the entire masters program, one half is didactic classes, the other half is pure research toward the thesis. moot point at this juncture

There is no need to be this petty to avoid conceding a point. Research and research oriented classes encompass credits related to research ie "research credits". I was just referring to any credits related to research and I even mention research related credits in a previous post which you just ignored. You do receive grades for your research. And those grades are based on subjective criteria TRANSLATION: nothing less than A's. Adcoms are quite aware of the grade inflation of these "research related credits." In most cases, an advisor simply signs off on your research and gives you the highest grade possible.

"like yourself...required to accept the most capable student": instead of having me read between the lines, you might find it more effective to be forthright with what you mean by those two last sentences.

You mean I actually have to inform you that you are a reapplicant with lower entrance stats and are not considered by most medical schools to be as capable as first time applicants with higher stats? My god, are you really that oblivious to your situation?

indeed it isn't a journey full of holes for everyone, but i'm beginning to wonder if you are aware of which forum you're using: for many applicants here, the journey is not a straight, purely-successful path.

And I'm beginning to wonder whether you aware that you are a reapplicant? I don't know of any reapplicant who has trouble admitting he or she is taking a backdoor route to getting into medical school. That is pretty much a given.

no sense in being much more of a jerk, my friend: i think we both clearly have different takes on the matter, and i'm satisfied that both perspectives are on the table.

First, I'm not your friend. Second, no one is fooled by your sarcastic and condescending tone so I wouldn't be quick to call others jerks. I think you are confused between "takes" and facts. You are simply misinformed on certain criteria and it would be in your best interest if you research your opinions instead of trying to recover your ego on SDN. If you think a 3.3 undergrand/4.0 masters is going to put you on equal footing with someone with a first time applicant with a 3.7 undergraduate GPA, you are WRONG. I would worry less about trying to earn a 4.0 in a masters and focus more on trying to improve your MCAT. It's much better to increase your MCAT and still maintain a respectable GPA in your masters (3.5 +). If you think a 4.0 in a masters is the solution to your problems, you are mistaken. It will definitely help toward convincing adcoms you are capable but it won't put you on equal footing with a first time applicant who has a 3.7 undergraduate GPA. Others on this thread have supported that statement so maybe it's worth listening for a change. Did that ever cross your mind?

ive been trying to understand what youre writing and interpret it as you intended, and i find it hypocritical to say ive ignored much of what youve written.

second, i dont know if youre referring specifically to me when you mentioned my mcat, but in my situation, it is my gpa that needs remediation, not my mcat. (3.2 undergrad, sci and cum, 33Q mcat) and listen, you know better than to think im trying to preserve an "SDN ego." our exchange is about your posts and my posts; and i dont like being misunderstood, nor do you, so we've gone several rounds. no more, no less. so leave that ego junk in your thoughts, not your posts.

im just another SDNer with whom youve had no real contact; your motivation to continue attacking my posts at a personal level is not clear to me. and im not being petty to avoid conceding points, i think you are correct in what youve given us; but i simply have a different take (and i will use that word) based on my experience, and based on what i have seen others experience. im sure you can accept that.

could you let me know where you're coming from? ie, whats your plan of attack for medical school? or are you an ms1 already? that might help us all flesh out our exchange

at any rate, i wish you luck in your endeavors

CUarzt said:
ive been trying to understand what youre writing and interpret it as you intended, and i find it hypocritical to say ive ignored much of what youve written.

second, i dont know if youre referring specifically to me when you mentioned my mcat, but in my situation, it is my gpa that needs remediation, not my mcat. (3.2 undergrad, sci and cum, 33Q mcat) and listen, you know better than to think im trying to preserve an "SDN ego." our exchange is about your posts and my posts; and i dont like being misunderstood, nor do you, so we've gone several rounds. no more, no less. so leave that ego junk in your thoughts, not your posts.

im just another SDNer with whom youve had no real contact; your motivation to continue attacking my posts at a personal level is not clear to me. and im not being petty to avoid conceding points, i think you are correct in what youve given us; but i simply have a different take (and i will use that word) based on my experience, and based on what i have seen others experience. im sure you can accept that.

could you let me know where you're coming from? ie, whats your plan of attack for medical school? or are you an ms1 already? that might help us all flesh out our exchange

at any rate, i wish you luck in your endeavors

Was it necessary to respond to his post above? Both of you should just PM each other if you want to further insult each other. Now, it's gotten to the point that you two have hijacked this thread and are not contributing anything worthwhile to it. One of you should be the bigger man and not respond to the other person

I agree with weirdscience. Plus, Kelly LeBrock was hot in that movie.

I need some help. This year, I was on 3 waiting lists, but I didn't get in any where. This was my second time applying. I did some informal postbac work before. I'm from California.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to do a 2 yr master's program at one of the schools where I have been waitlisted. I don't mind going to med school at this school after the master's program. This is school is outside of California. My other option would be to work/volunteer in a lab and then apply for PhD programs (for entering in fall 2006).

I don't know what I should do.

My stats: 3.45 science gpa, 3.3 overall, 32 MCAT

I am sure you have read my posts before...but just as a summary...I have a 3.2 and a 25 on the MCAT...looking to offset that with a good grad school GPA and a much better score on the MCAT and I will be applying to some state schools, DO schools, and the carribbean...

If you have been waitlisted, why not go to one of the programs that guarentee a spot for those who are waitlisted. I am not sure of all the programs, but I am pretty sure they have one at Tulane (it is probably too late to apply to this years program though). They accept those who have been waitlisted at MD programs and you go through their one year program and given that you do well...you are automatically accepted to their med school the following year...I don't have a link, but I am sure there is one at Tulane...

I am not sure of other programs such as this one...but check it out for sure...

Any others in the boat that I am in? Keep the comments/questions/suggestions coming. Thank you everyone.