Anyone do and not like doctors in training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gman33

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it seems like every one of my classmates are doing the Doctors in Training course this year. This is based mainly on feedback from some of the upper years at my school.

I know that no one source is a magic bullet, but I've only heard good things about the course.

Anyone do it and not like it? Or do it and felt it didn't prepare them well for the boards?

I am planning on just doing my own thing, pretty much like the Taus method.

Any feedback from past DIT users would be appreciated.
Especially negative feedback (if there is any).
There are already a bunch a threads talking about how great it is.

Members don't see this ad.

I took DIT and I thought it was pretty good--he added some things which I missed earlier in qbanks so now I know that stuff pretty well. Overall though, it's pretty late in my studying and Ive been doing well so far so I felt like the course kinda slowed me down.

Personally, I think the course is good if you are ~210-225 range. Its not going to help you reach a 260 but I think will put you in the 230-240s range if you study just DIT, world and first aid.

To get the really high scores, TAUS is the method.

Really? They recommend finishing the program like 10 days before the exam since just doing first aid and high yield.

To get the really high scores, TAUS is the method.

Thanks on your input, do you mind ellaborating this point?

I have 3 months before my exam, and I was thinking about doing DIT while still in class. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
you know everyoneis different...it's hard to rely on what ppl will tell you because it may not work for you...

but here's my 2 cents...i am 3 months away from my exam and going over DIT right now.
i have nothing negative to say about the program so far...it really is amazing, it gets you through FA and on top of that he really tells you what is important and basically dictates to you all the annotations (which would take me forever to do otherwise, sometimes a little spoon-feeding is good, especially when you want to spend your time on doing questions rather then going over million books to find those pieces of info)...i also love the quizzes (constant repetition of everything you have learned from day one of the program so you're not forgetting stuff) and the supplemental book that comes with the course has a lot of additional info...

i have used other sources during class time since day one of school, i used kaplan videos, pass program, goljan and they were helpful back then but now i needed to just put everything together and skip unnecessary detail and thats what DIT is good for....it organizes your knowledge and gives you big picture.

i have been using FA throughout the whole 2 years and i notice now how i have completely disregarded a few good sections that are very HY for boards and i wouldnt even look at some of the margin info as important if not for DIT...i think for the price it is so worth it. Im going over it right now while on spring break and doing USMLE RX questions to really hummer down FA...then i plan on doing UW, review goljan and brs physio and get thru FA one more time...hopefully my plan will work:xf::xf::xf:

There are better ways to spend 700 bucks. Especially since they just go through first aid.

I have been thinking about doing this over spring break. My big question is how many hours per day does it take just to do DIT ( watch the videos and do what ever else in his video how long does that take)?

i am considering doing this, but wanted to do it after i get through the 1st part of TAUS. and am considering it possibly on my 3rd run thru FA instead. Why are people doing this so much ahead of time?

i know everyone is different, but doesnt the program recommend taking the test 10 days after the completion of the program?

is this program for people who want to score in 230-240 more so than those that are aiming for 260?

i am considering doing this, but wanted to do it after i get through the 1st part of TAUS. and am considering it possibly on my 3rd run thru FA instead. Why are people doing this so much ahead of time?

i know everyone is different, but doesnt the program recommend taking the test 10 days after the completion of the program?

is this program for people who want to score in 230-240 more so than those that are aiming for 260?

I was wondering about this too... is there a reason they ask you to do that (maybe the material will stay fresher in your mind)?
If not, is it worth doing it earlier in the study period, after going through FA once? That leaves more time at the end to cram/do more practice Qs...

I too fail to see the appeal. I don't get how people say he points out sections that you never even saw before...you have eyes, don't you?

Yeah I too am really confused by the appeal. I wish they had a sample subject lecture..

The good points I hear: He helps you get through FA. He explains high yield FA. He makes reading FA easier. It was like reading FA. But listening.

My answer: Drink a monster and read FA. You save $700 - $2.50 X energy drinks

I could be horribly wrong - which is why that stupid company should put out a sample subject lecture. Their sample lecture is some goon talking about the program.

I am also at a school where DIT was highly recommended by upperclassmen and it seems like there are a large number of people in my class using it. I haven't begun the video portion of the course yet, but thus far, I've been unimpressed with the daily emails.

The questions are random, and aren't necessarily on topics that I've studied yet - which makes it hard to see why the emails are any better than just doing a random qbank set (which is cheaper). That said, I've been very successful using the Goljan audio for classes this year, and thought that maybe following along with lectures for FA would also be helpful.

You can watch the first full day of lectures and still get your money back if you don't like them...I'm waiting to see how that goes before I decide to cancel or not.

I'm going to do my own thing for a couple of weeks, take a practice test and then evaluate where I stand. If I think I'm way off base, I might try something like DIT.

I saw a sample video when the sales rep was at my school.
It basically was just a guy reading out of FA with a little explaining here or there. People talk about how he helps make the material stick, but I didn't see any of that. I guess for some people it just helps hearing someone else read the material. That approach doesn't really help me. Just like going to class doesn't help me learn material. It only helps me highlight stuff so I can go back later and learn it on my own.

Members don't see this ad :)
One more thing, I totally don't buy DITs claim of an average score of 237. I find that to be a marketing trick, like take this course and you'll get a 237. I'd like to see an indpendent audit of that claim. My guess is they don't have data on everyone who has taken the course and they are somehow cherrypicking the good scores.

One more thing, I totally don't buy DITs claim of an average score of 237. I find that to be a marketing trick, like take this course and you'll get a 237. I'd like to see an indpendent audit of that claim. My guess is they don't have data on everyone who has taken the course and they are somehow cherrypicking the good scores.

It is absolutely impossible that the average score for the entire class of students taking that course is 237. I would find it hard to believe if even the average of those that responded to his survey was a 237, so I wouldn't recommend taking the course based on this bogus claim.

It is absolutely impossible that the average score for the entire class of students taking that course is 237. I would find it hard to believe if even the average of those that responded to his survey was a 237, so I wouldn't recommend taking the course based on this bogus claim.

yea test prep companies are pieces of sh**. I'm in medical school, I can read.... I think I can study for step I by myself after providing myself with the right resources.

Wow, there are a lot of responses saying, "I didn't take the program, but I think it's crap."

If you don't want to pay the extravagant price of $700 for program that will help you on your Step 1, don't.

My experience: after my first run through of FA and Goljan and other resources, my predicted score was 206. After DIT, my predicted score was 235. Actual score, 234/99. I honestly think Dr. J helped a lot, but that's just my opinion.

EDIT: On that note, people also rave about Goljan audio, you can read about his stuff too, so there's that.

Last edited:

Obviously this is sales rep talk but the guy who came to our school said they take 200 from 230 and also 230 to 260. I think he even repeatedly said they "guarantee" the increase.... not sure how that works, lol.

The responses from many of the M3's here at UAMS have been mixed but trending towards negative. I know a few people who took the course and did very well on Step 1 (250+), but they're also super brilliant and crushing their classes. They're the only ones I've encountered so far who have purely positive feelings about the course. Most everyone else is either roughly neutral or slightly negative. Personally, I'm going with Taus's method, for the most part.

what I did:

Prestudying: NBME comp: 227
1st run: Modified Taus--first run was basically all taus and all of uworld
--somewhere halfway thru first run: NBME 3: 247
--end of first run: UWSA1: 256
2nd run: DIT/goljan only
--end of second run: NBME 6: 260
Currently on 3rd run: Memorizing/first aid and reading corresponding goljan sections
--Exam on April 12th!

As you can see I only went up 4 points from post DIT; however, I think if I had a 220 or so I would have improved much more because he goes over truly high yield stuff.

what I did:

Currently on 3rd run: Memorizing/first aid and reading corresponding goljan sections
--Exam on April 12th!

As you can see I only went up 4 points from post DIT; however, I think if I had a 220 or so I would have improved much more because he goes over truly high yield stuff.

Wow man. How long have you been studying for. When you say first run Taus does that you mean you did the first run in Taus and not the rest?

what I did:

--Exam on April 12th!

Wow man. How long have you been studying for?

Ive been studying since mid january

I basically followed taus completely for the first run, but for my second run thru, i did DIT and read the corresponding sections. I am doing a modified version of the taus "last two weeks" method now. The last week, i will just brush up on stuff I dont really know well (such as anatomy and embryo which I am keeping for the end so I only have to study those subjects once)

EDIT: On that note, people also rave about Goljan audio, you can read about his stuff too, so there's that.

You can listen to Goljan Audio. Not glued to your laptop. hence the raving.
And unlike FA, not every word of RR is high yield and must know.

Well I took the plunge and signed up for the DIT course. I plan on doing it over spring break (8 days) and then the rest over a couple of weekend after. The reason I am doing this is we only have 4 weeks over the summer for the boards and I really feel I need to get a strong jump start before those 4 weeks in order to be effective. My plan might be awful but I'm hoping the jump start works out. My major fear is that it will be all for naught if I forget the majority of the material before our summer break.

That FA is more high yield than RR only bolsters the argument for DIT.

My point was Goljan Audio only extracts high yields from RR, hence the popularity of the product.

There is nothing to 'filter' out of First Aid. You just need creative ways to interpret it. DIT = a new way for someone to learn the same material they would be anyway. I'm assuming it works well for some and not for others.

Yeah I too am really confused by the appeal. I wish they had a sample subject lecture..

The good points I hear: He helps you get through FA. He explains high yield FA. He makes reading FA easier. It was like reading FA. But listening.

My answer: Drink a monster and read FA. You save $700 - $2.50 X energy drinks

I could be horribly wrong - which is why that stupid company should put out a sample subject lecture. Their sample lecture is some goon talking about the program.

I asked them for a 5 minute sample clip, and the only response I got was: We have a great refund policy!

I asked them for a 5 minute sample clip, and the only response I got was: We have a great refund policy!

You only get to take step 1 once (maybe), so why would you be so hard up against DIT when there are various other threads saying how great it is? Is it the $700 price tag? That's really nothing compared to all the other debt that you are probably already in. If you want something that might give you those extra 15-25 points, then take DIT. If not, then don't.

You only get to take step 1 once (maybe), so why would you be so hard up against DIT when there are various other threads saying how great it is? Is it the $700 price tag? That's really nothing compared to all the other debt that you are probably already in. If you want something that might give you those extra 15-25 points, then take DIT. If not, then don't.

It's not only a significant monetary investment, but a significant time investment. It may be difficult for some people to take the leap of faith when time is such a precious commodity. You're putting most of your eggs in one basket with any review course. And knowing that everyone learns most effectively in different manners, anyone would be wise to exercise caution and scrutiny.

Because not all investments are smart investments. Why waist $700 for something that doesn't work for you? A lot of people like it but I am one person who did not. The fact that they dont have a single free video to watch is really crummy. I decided to take the course based on what others have said; I watched the first 4 hrs of video and realized it wasn't for me. I decided to return DIT and sadly was offered a refund of only $350 (50%). Considering that i watched about 1/15 of their material it definitely sucks that their return policy isn't a little bit better. (This is their policy and its clearly written but if you think you can decided after the first 3 videos your kidding yourself).

Some other things I could have done with that 350....donate it to charity, buy a PS3, buy a net book, but a few weeks of grocery's. But hey some people like to just waste it.

Does he just read FA, or does he Explain FA and give mechanisms?

Based on the 4hrs I watched very very little explanation just straight reading from FA, no mechanism or anything. I would say that some of the stuff he says ends up being sticky, so its not bad to help you memorize FA, but its not doing anything more then that. If I had 45 days of no classes I would consider doing this at the end for 15 days but I think its only really helpful if you have already read through FA a couple of times.

see i dont get it. some people rave about this program, almost like they have some incentive or are selling the program to people here.

why do you say its good for the last 15 days? would you mind posting after a few days of watching the videos? maybe it gets better. just wondering if going through FA by myself, and wrong UW answers, along with taking NBME 1-7/UW 1/2 would be a better way to spend my 20 days. rather than 14 days of videos and 1 week to go over FA again.

see i dont get it. some people rave about this program, almost like they have some incentive or are selling the program to people here.

why do you say its good for the last 15 days? would you mind posting after a few days of watching the videos? maybe it gets better. just wondering if going through FA by myself, and wrong UW answers, along with taking NBME 1-7/UW 1/2 would be a better way to spend my 20 days. rather than 14 days of videos and 1 week to go over FA again.
I'm pretty sure that no matter what you do, as long as you work hard, you will do well. Some people can do things by themselves much better than others. Other people like having a rigid schedule that they have to follow. It's such a variable thing...

Based on the 4hrs I watched very very little explanation just straight reading from FA, no mechanism or anything. I would say that some of the stuff he says ends up being sticky, so its not bad to help you memorize FA, but its not doing anything more then that.
The people in my class doing the online DIT class agree. My roommates are pissed they paid for the subscription.

I just started DIT and I like it. I don't want to get bombarded by the people that don't like it, or that think its a waste of time, so if you're one of those, you can stop reading this post.

For those of you that are interested in what it's really like, DIT seems ok. I haven't really used other methods, but I think it's a pretty good program for what you pay. The guy that lectures is no frills - he just explains the stuff and moves on. Its gonna take a while to get through all the videos - but you just have to buckle down. My school did not have any online lectures (ridiculous, i know) so I really enjoy watching these. He really helps you analyze and compile all the info in your head well. I also like that he skips around FA - I'm not one that does stuff in order, ever. He takes a section, and starts going through it, and if he comes across a related topic he tells you to flip to page x. eg - anticholinesterases and myasthenia gravis. He's knowledgable...and to make 1.5 hour lectures like he does - I give the guy mad props.

I know that not everyone that reads SDN is a gunner - for those of you that aren't gunners, I recommend this, especially if you're having a hard time finding the right kind of gunner mentality. I'm not trying to advertise for this guy, I've gotten some good advice from SDN and I figured it was time to give some back. Besides, if you don't like it, and want to cancel after the first day, you're only out $50!

Last edited:
PS. I know that DIT tells you to start pretty late - I would not recommend it. I actually like it as a first pass program - helps you get started...so if you're going to do it, do it early!

see another person..literally trying to sell the program. "besides, if you dont like it and want to cancel after the first day, your only out $50!" really? idk im really considering the program, but i feel like it im being conned by some of these posts.

The reason I started this thread was to get some feedback from people who did it and didn't like it.

There are several other threads that talk about how great a program it is.

Most of the people I've spoken with who did it last year, really liked it.

I think it's just a fit thing. Some people can't just sit and read a book. Me, I have a hard time learning from someone talking to me all day.

Also, I know he has you take breaks and write out stuff etc. That doesn't really help me too much either.

It seems just like an organized way to go thru FA, which I'm sure is helpful for some people.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My main issue is definitely not cost, its time. 75 hours of DIT vs 75 hours of me going through FA on my own.

I think I am going to get through my first pass of FA and see how I do on an NMBE and take it from there.

All my problems would be solved with one sample lecture:rolleyes:

I just started DIT and I like it. I don't want to get bombarded by the people that don't like it, or that think its a waste of time, so if you're one of those, you can stop reading this post.

For those of you that are interested in what it's really like, DIT seems ok. I haven't really used other methods, but I think it's a pretty good program for what you pay. The guy that lectures is no frills - he just explains the stuff and moves on. Its gonna take a while to get through all the videos - but you just have to buckle down. My school did not have any online lectures (ridiculous, i know) so I really enjoy watching these. He really helps you analyze and compile all the info in your head well. I also like that he skips around FA - I'm not one that does stuff in order, ever. He takes a section, and starts going through it, and if he comes across a related topic he tells you to flip to page x. eg - anticholinesterases and myasthenia gravis. He's knowledgable...and to make 1.5 hour lectures like he does - I give the guy mad props.

I know that not everyone that reads SDN is a gunner - for those of you that aren't gunners, I recommend this, especially if you're having a hard time finding the right kind of gunner mentality. I'm not trying to advertise for this guy, I've gotten some good advice from SDN and I figured it was time to give some back. Besides, if you don't like it, and want to cancel after the first day, you're only out $50!

You mentioned that you've started it earlier in your study process rather than later (which the DIT people suggest). Do you think it's better doing it this way?

I have a subscription to their program, but for a while I've been on the fence, and I'm almost on the verge of returning it. The weekly questions have been utterly useless -- random facts from all over FA, and unless you get together with a friend and quiz each other, they're pointless to do.

I only have 5 weeks after classes end, and I really don't want DIT to use up those 5 weeks if it's not very helpful. However, I was wondering if I can do the lectures starting now while classes are still going on... That way, I can use DIT as a semi-first pass of FA.

Here's a sample lecture:
http://course.doctorsintraining.com/videos/16/demo

Like Dr VanNostran, I'm doing my own thing for a few weeks taking a test and then taking it from there.

I haven't ruled out DIT or something similar.

Wait...he really does just read from FA...I thought it was just an exaggeration. I actually am reviewing Cardio right now and all he did was read off FA points and give you page numbers.

Why can't I come up with a course and charge $700 for it?

Here's a sample lecture:

Like Dr VanNostran, I'm doing my own thing for a few weeks taking a test and then taking it from there.

I really wish I found this before I signed up for the course. I swear I looked everywhere. Anyways like others have said its all about what fits your style. I do think that for 99% of people this should be a close to last pass NOT a first pass. I'm sure for some it would work as a first past but i really think if you haven't been through FA at least once before you wont get as much out of it. But as always just do what works for you.

while this was helpful getting through the Cards Pharm. After covering cardio, I feel it did not really help me much? Why do people say so many good things about this program?

There was 1 helpful mneumonic...i started to zone out because I already knew some of the stuff he was saying cold after reviewing the FA chapter and doing Qbank questions. Its not TERRIBLE, it will help get through the FA after reviewing it and knowing it. Why is the average score so high then? no way that just reading FA, pointing out a few good points, will help someone score 237. thanks for posting a demo. still considering it, but my expectations were a LOT higher.

Here's a sample lecture:

Thank you so much for the link Gman! This is pretty much exactly what I expected. While it is not great, I think it will serve its purpose to get through First Aid. As long as he bridges a gap here and there, I think the 700 is worth it.

I am leaning towards buying this and using it as a first pass. I think it will make the 2nd through 4th runs through FA much easier.

Thank you so much for the link Gman! This is pretty much exactly what I expected. While it is not great, I think it will serve its purpose to get through First Aid. As long as he bridges a gap here and there, I think the 700 is worth it.

I am leaning towards buying this and using it as a first pass. I think it will make the 2nd through 4th runs through FA much easier.

Or you can actively read FA, make your own bridges with another supplemental source, and save the time. I'm not even mentioning money anymore.

The guy took way too long to explain a Starling curve and didn't even do a phenomenal job. "Uhhhh exercise moves it to the left".
Another company using subjectivity backed by bias objectivity to market.