Anyone at LECOM-B that can give me info on their structure/setup?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bionista

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm currently a Florida resident getting my undergrad degree at USF in Tampa. I am wondering if someone could explain how the PBL structure works, as well as how the rotations work at LECOM-B?

My main question is time in class/on campus, because if I go to LECOM-B I would prefer to live in Tampa and commute, depending on how feasible that is. Are you on campus/meeting students 5 days a week or is it possible that you are there only a few days a week? In the beginning I am assuming you are there everyday, is that correct? Does class start at 8 a.m?
Also wondering if it's true that rotations are limited and you have to "find your own" like I've seen others say.

Any insight/advice/tips are so appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Despite PBL being only 3 days a week in your 1st year, the school will schedule something mandatory EVERY SINGLE DAY. Sometimes it will only be an hour long lecture but they will still have at least 1 thing each day, so commuting is a bad idea.

The rotations at LECOM simply dont work, not in any systematic way at least. They change every year substantially so there is no way to know where you're going until a few months before they start. Half of the 2nd years still dont know where they are going for rotations but all of the choices the school provides for you are objectively poor. There were some great hospitals the last few years but all of those have since dropped LECOM students because the school wont pay what the hospitals want. Some may argue that there are still good sites but these sites only have a combined ~20 spots for a class of almost 200 and even then they are mediocre at best. The school is also attempting to do away with the option of setting up your own rotations, so i'm not even sure if you'll have that option by the time rotations come around. I would strongly dissuade you from attending this institution. The school is only getting worse and a degree from LECOM will be viewed as worse than that of a Caribbean school if the trend continues.

Reactions: 2 users
Avoid LECOM-B. I have posted on this topic multiple times and I have inside knowledge of all of these things. The place should be shut down.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Avoid LECOM-B. I have posted on this topic multiple times and I have inside knowledge of all of these things. The place should be shut down.
Can you pm me the inside information(serious), I am trying to decide whether I want to attend this school. Thanks

Don't attend LECOM anything (ERie,Satan Hill, Bradenton,Elmira)

Reactions: 2 users
Don't attend LECOM anything (ERie,Satan Hill, Bradenton,Elmira)

The structure of LECOM Bradenton, especially rotations, is very different from Erie and Seton Hill (and most likely Elmira... surprised you didn't use Hellmira, I mean that's genuinely a nickname for the city from confederate POWs held there during the Civil War). Erie/Seton Hill actually have some very good rotation sites and you have your clinical site designated 6 mos in advance.

Actually why am I even saying anything, hating on LECOM on SDN is a time-honored tradition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I went to LECOM (erie-pbl) and loved the education. Clinical time was absolutely variable.... Needed to make the most of your exposure and education. From a first two years basic sciences time I thought the education was great. I can only speak to pbl- it's a very specific learning style and you need to embrace the steep learning curve.

USMLE step 1 is now required along with COMLEX level 1 at Bradenton

I went to bradenton, I actually thought it was the best decision ever, maybe I got lucky but everything just worked for me, med school was pretty doable.

Reactions: 3 users
I went to bradenton, I actually thought it was the best decision ever, maybe I got lucky but everything just worked for me, med school was pretty doable.
What years did you attend?