Anyone apply to MGH in Boston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmt2bePT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Just wondering if anyone else has applied to MGH Institute in Boston? Heard anything yet, or know someone who went there?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there

I applied to MGH as well and have not heard anything yet except that my application is complete. I called last Monday to ask about interview decisions because I am trying to make plans for another interview in the area and hoped to only travel across the country once. I was told that they hadn't reached that point in their review process yet but they are holding interviews the last 2 weekends in February. Hope this helps. Where else did you apply?

Last edited:
That helps a lot! Thanks! I was getting anxious and worried because I hadn't heard anything from them yet. It says on their site that they send out the invites for the interview between mid december and mid january so hopefully we will both hear something soon!
I have also applied to Drexel in Philly ( accepted in November) and just finished up interviews at Elon University in NC and UMDNJ in New Jersey. Still waiting on MGH and Old Dominion in VA. Where else have you applied?
Keep me posted!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi.

I received an email from MGH yesterday and was offered an interview. I'm hoping that you got one as well!

I also applied to:

University of New England
University of Vermont
Northern Arizona University
University of Puget Sound

Good luck with everything!

Congratulations!!!! I got one too!!!! I rsvpd for February 27th @ 1230!!! Are you on the same day?
Have you heard back yet from your other schools? Good luck with everything to you as well!! And maybe Ill see you at the interview next month! :)

I got an email about their interviews yesterday, and RSVP'd for an interview on Feb 21 at 8am.

For those that have been called for interviews at MGH, when did you apply to the school???

I'll be attending the February 21st interview so Diane09 I will see you there!

I submitted my PTCAS application at the beginning of November (in response to DPTjourney).

The only other program I've heard from so far is University of New England. I'll be interviewing there on the 20th of Feb.

How about you guys?

Congrats to you all! Good luck with the interviews! I can't wait! Is MGH the number one choice for the both of you?
In response I also applied through PTCAS in early November.

Hi CMT..

MGH is definitely in my top two. It seems to be an extremely strong program academically and the paid clinical internship at the end is a plus. I am also very interested in Northern Arizona U. It is ranked in the top 20 and would be in-state tuition for me. Very inexpensive which would be a huge plus. I guess it will all boil down to how I feel about the programs after interviewing and who lets me in of course :)

Hi ptapplic2009-
MGH is in my top 2 as well! I was just accepted at UMDNJ in New Jersey and absolutely loved it there! So we will see how Boston goes and then keep our fingers crossed that they will accept us! :) Good luck and keep me posted!!!

How did you find out from UMDNJ? Phone call or Email and when? I am still waiting..:scared:

Hi ptapplic2009-
MGH is in my top 2 as well! I was just accepted at UMDNJ in New Jersey and absolutely loved it there! So we will see how Boston goes and then keep our fingers crossed that they will accept us! :) Good luck and keep me posted!!!

Hey!! I got a phone call last Wednesday from my interviewer! Keep me posted when you hear from them! I will keep my fingers crossed for you !:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet! thanks.. did Dr. Kaplan interview you?

Hey!! I got a phone call last Wednesday from my interviewer! Keep me posted when you hear from them! I will keep my fingers crossed for you !:)

cmt2bpt,

I was in Boston last weekend for my MGH interview. I'm not sure if you are still heading up there but I'm happy to answer any questions that you may have. I was really impressed with the program and I can't wait to hear back from them.

Good luck

I heard back earlier this week, and got in! I loved the program, hopefully you get in as well. Good luck, hopefully we'll see each other in June!

hey blazersfan,
Congrats on your acceptance. I was accepted as well. I had my last interview on the 6th so hopefully I will hear from that program soon. I'm really leaning toward MGH though. Have you made your decision yet? Also, were you offered a scholarship by MGH. How do you feel about the tuition? I'll be so glad when this process is over :)

hey ptapplic2009,
yea i've made up my mind. i'm definitely going to mgh. i made up the pros/cons list for it and all the other schools i got into, and it wasn't even a question. tuition isn't too bad in my opinion. comparing it with all the other programs, i think mgh is definitely one of the best bang-for-your buck places. now i'm just in the process of apartment searching out there. let me know if you're going to go to school there. i'm planning on heading out there in mid to late may to get accustomed to the area. if you're out there at the same time it'd be great to meet up. regardless good luck with the rest of the application process.

Hey everyone! I just received an interview offer for MGH! I was wondering if any of you who interviewed last year could give me some pointers about their process/what kind of questions they ask. I would really appreciate any help, thanks!

congrats to everyone accepted to MGH =) i considered applying but i still had more prereqs to take. i think i might apply next year once i've finished them. if you don't mind me asking, what were your prereq and overall gpa's? MGH doesn't have any minimum gpa requirements, and i know they're one of the top programs in the country. i'm just curious to see the latest accepted applicants. thanks!

Hi I was just wondering how the interview went...were you called or did you get something in the mail? Thanks

Hi I was just wondering how the interview went...were you called or did you get something in the mail? Thanks

I think the interview went really well! They asked pretty standard questions and all of the faculty were so nice. I was invited to the interview through email, but I haven't heard anything yet about being accepted.

I phone interviewed with them on Thursday. I think it went really well and they said we should hear back by the end of the week! I was really surprised that i got an interview after hearing that they only interviewed 106 people for the 53 spots! That a 50/50 chance!

I did enjoy talking with the faculty, but I don't know if I can justify the cost of the program if I get in... its about $30,000 more than the other programs I'm interviewing for. Do you think that the program is good enough to justify the costs?

do you guys know if they have already contacted everyone for interviews?

It is pretty expensive, but you get paid for your last clinical and they do give some merit scholarships. I don't know how it compares to the other programs you are looking at, but I am having a tough time deciding too because of the money....Did they tell you if the notifications at the end of this week would be mail or email??

Yes, I do believe they are done interviewing. I think they were all done on this past weekend.

I think she said e-mail. Did they mention anything to you about when they'll have decisions mailed?

Nope. All they told us was that they should be making decisions sometime this week and then sending stuff out. They did say they are expecting to have a pretty active waitlist this year though.

I just got an e-mail saying I was accepted! It's nice to be wanted. Hey skibum, can you tell me more about your interview day... not what you were asked, more your opinions on the faulty, the facilities, etc...

Congrats! I didn't get anything yet :( The facilities were pretty nice, it was all in one building mostly on the third floor. There is one main classroom that's pretty standard and two lab rooms. They said most of the first summer is spent in the cadaver lab at Harvard Med school. The faculty all seemed very nice, helpful, and knowledgeable and most of them still practice in clinics.

Nevermind, I just received an email saying I was accepted! :) Ahhh now for the decisions, I only have a week before my deposit is due at my other top school :confused:

UC San Francisco. Boston University was another of my top choices, but it is wicked expensive.

They didn't say anything to me about a waitlist, sorry!

On a different note, does anyone know the average cost of an apartment in Boston??

I noticed a couple people were accepted to both MGH & UCSF (as was I), and I'm struggling to decide. MGH has an amazing program, but UCSF will probably be cheaper for a California resident. I think cost of living in Boston v. SF is equal. Any ideas? I already had to pay the deposit for UCSF to secure my spot...I guess if I go to MGH, I'll have opened up a spot for someone else. :)

Any input that could help me make a decision between these schools?

I'm waiting on University of Miami.

hey ptapplic2009,
yea i've made up my mind. i'm definitely going to mgh. i made up the pros/cons list for it and all the other schools i got into, and it wasn't even a question. tuition isn't too bad in my opinion. comparing it with all the other programs, i think mgh is definitely one of the best bang-for-your buck places. now i'm just in the process of apartment searching out there. let me know if you're going to go to school there. i'm planning on heading out there in mid to late may to get accustomed to the area. if you're out there at the same time it'd be great to meet up. regardless good luck with the rest of the application process.

Congratulations on your decision. I'm trying to be that decisive, but it's difficult! What are the rental rates in Boston? I'm wondering if they are just as expensive as San Francisco...

Hey, I'm trying to make the same decision. I'm not a California resident though so tuition is a little more expensive for me at UCSF, but it will still be a little cheaper than MGH. I loved both programs when I visited so I'm not sure how to decide...I am leaning a little more toward UCSF though. I just liked how it seemed like more of a campus, there is a gym, library, etc. MGH is just in one building in the navy yard. I agree about rental costs, from what I have been looking at they are pretty similar. Have you decided yet?

I noticed a couple people were accepted to both MGH & UCSF (as was I), and I'm struggling to decide. MGH has an amazing program, but UCSF will probably be cheaper for a California resident. I think cost of living in Boston v. SF is equal. Any ideas? I already had to pay the deposit for UCSF to secure my spot...I guess if I go to MGH, I'll have opened up a spot for someone else. :)

Any input that could help me make a decision between these schools?

I'm waiting on University of Miami.

I found out a few weeks ago that I was wait listed. However, my fiance is from the Boston area so I know a little about it. Rent is going to be around $1000 a month for a decent place...and that will probably be a studio. However, the subways system is great so you can live outside of the city and just commute. That would save you a lot of money but rent and cost of living in Boston is generally higher than a lot of other areas. Just shop around a lot.

I'm visiting MGH next week (i did a phone interview, so i haven't seen it yet). if i decide to go, i'll join your facebook group. out of curiosity, what made you pick MGH? Where do you live now?

I had previously sent in my deposit to Temple and then I got in to Miami after I was wait listed at MGH so I picked Miami...and then found out I got in to MGH last week. MGH was my first choice before I really considered Miami at all. I love Boston- it's a great city (my fiance is from there). The facilities are really only average from what I've seen and there is not a campus but I feel like the opportunities you get from clinicals and just the school itself makes up for it in the long run.

I'm was raised in Florida my entire life and have never really left the state so the lure for me to get out and experience new things really made it difficult to turn down over Miami. The cost of the living in Boston IS high, but it also has a lot to offer. MGH is really highly respected in the field- some of the most well known PTs graduated from there. Overall, it just felt right. If you're looking for the campus/college experience again, you won't find it there- there's no sports teams for the school and a lot of the students are older. Let me know if you have any questions- good luck with the decision. It took me weeks to decide between Temple and Miami and then Miami and MGH.

I'm visiting MGH next week (i did a phone interview, so i haven't seen it yet). if i decide to go, i'll join your facebook group. out of curiosity, what made you pick MGH? Where do you live now?

How did the visit go?

Hey DPTBull, (Are you neal? i noticed someone on Orientation 101, said he started a FB group, thought it might be you!) I think the visit went really well. The only thing holding me back from being entirely definitive in my decision to go to MGH is my spot on the waitlist at Regis University in Denver.

Anyway, Do you know much about the area, will you have a way to check out apartments? I do need roommates, and plan to move on/around June 1. send me an e-mail if you're interested [email protected]

Yeah, I'm Neal haha that's funny. I've been to CO and loved it there so you really can't make a bad choice. Do you know where you are on the waitlist?

I do know a lot about the area. My fiance is originally from Boston and I've been to visit a few times. We're moving up in May to get settled and look at places. Look me up and add me on facebook- I hardly ever check my email.

Good luck with your decision. It took me a long time to decide.

They won't officially rank their waitlist (completely bull****) but they told me i'm in the top 8. So.... I don't know how much time I should give them before I get an apartment in Boston and give up hope. Opinions??

Congrats to everyone who is a student there. I am interviewing there Feb 4th & was wondering if you guys had any tips about the interview: questions you recall, anything out of the ordinary, good questions to ask them, etc?

Also, any insight about the program: likes, dislikes, special notes that made you choose MGH?

I have only interviewed at one other school & I am guessing MGH is much less laid-back than they were. So any tips would be hugely helpful!! Thanks

Last edited:
when did they contact you for an interview? i'm still waiting :(

I currently a student at mgh-ihp. The interview is pretty straight forward. You'll meet with two different faculty members on the big day. They're pretty laid back here and really care about the students. One question that caught me off guard last year is that they asked where else I had applied. Otherwise, just come in prepared: know about the profession, the school, why here (i recommend bringing up their clinical education program if you can't think of something else), why PT, and why they should choose you. If you can try to think of something unique about yourself for that last question. Most PT applicants like people and want to help them and are fairly athletic themselves...

I'm sure you will do just great, you've made it this far! The program here is great. The curriculum is well integrated and we get a lot of clinical experience (i've been in the clinic 1/2 a day a week for 2 semesters now and have my 1st fulltime experience this summer). The faculty is excellent and recognized as experts in their fields. Many are also very involved in the APTA.

Any other specific questions, feel free to PM me!

-Kate

I am interviewing at MGH January 28th and was curious what people would recommend for attire. I have been advised to wear a suit, which I thought was appropriate, but was curious how formal things were in previous years. Is a grey suit too informal? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!