Anyone accepted with an RC under 300?

4eyed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there anyone who had an RC under 300 and was accepted? just getting a little worried.. my aa and ts are above 300 and so is every section except rc.. my gpa is very high and I have particiapted in many community service activities, shadowing and leadership positions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I do know that schools like UMSL use a formula to determine if you get an interview or not. Theirs works something like: RC * Gen Chem * AA * GPA * 1e-5 = a 4 or 5 digit number. The higher your number the better shot you've got at an interview. And below a certain number (like 900) you don't get one period. So I guess what i'm trying to say is that RC matters a lot more than probably any other section. My advice would be to talk to your admissions office. I know UMSL's office (Dr. Brown) is SUPER helpful and the nicest office I've ever dealt with....EVER :)

Karen

Wow interesting, I would've never guessed about the formula! Uh oh, more added stress. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi 4eyed,
I actually had a 260 reading comprehension score and was accepted to SCCO a few weeks ago! All my other scores were in the 300s. (TS score 320, AA score 310 if i remember correctly). My gpa was around a 3.65 and i've been working for an optometrist for the past 3 years. Don't worry about your RC score...i was totally nervous when i submitted that score, but it all worked out! good luck!

Hi 4eyed,
I actually had a 260 reading comprehension score and was accepted to SCCO a few weeks ago! All my other scores were in the 300s. (TS score 320, AA score 310 if i remember correctly). My gpa was around a 3.65 and i've been working for an optometrist for the past 3 years. Don't worry about your RC score...i was totally nervous when i submitted that score, but it all worked out! good luck!

When did you apply? I'm still waiting to hear from them about an interview :(

Hi 4eyed,

Thank you sooo much, j22, for giving me hope!! =) CONGRATS on your acceptance too!! I have actually gone on two interviews already, so I should hear back soon. Just have to keep a positive attitude .. but the suspense is killing me.. :laugh:

Best of luck!

congrats j22 on your acceptance! I got a 290 on my reading and 330-340 on all other sections and SCCO had sent me an email telling me i needed to take my OAT's again if i wanted to get an interview. I even called them and they said my academic index was high (i'm not sure what that includes) but it was just the reading section of my OAT's that was a problem. I have a 3.2 GPA and sufficient optometry experience.

Hi,

Is there anyone who had an RC under 300 and was accepted? just getting a little worried.. my aa and ts are above 300 and so is every section except rc.. my gpa is very high and I have particiapted in many community service activities, shadowing and leadership positions.

accepted with 270 in RC.

cheers.

Did you guys apply pretty early in the process? Because I applied in mid-october and they said the application pool is higher than last year, so at the time..they will only be accepting RC >300 for interviewees. They said they mAY lower it later but they won't know for a few months.

Did you guys apply pretty early in the process? Because I applied in mid-october and they said the application pool is higher than last year, so at the time..they will only be accepting RC >300 for interviewees. They said they mAY lower it later but they won't know for a few months.

I applied in september, interviewed on oct 2, letter of acceptance received on oct 4. I guess this is pretty early? btw, I got in suny, not scco.

I applied in early Sept too, interviewed on oct. 18 and was accepted a week later. I was a reapplicant from last year though, so that might have helped me in some ways. I improved in all areas of the OAT except for RC so maybe SCCO was looking at my overall improvement rather than just my decline in RC. hope this info helps! keep your head up 4eyed!

I'm going to add to that and answer my own question with.. YES!! .. just accepted to ICO!! YAY!!!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
4eyed would you mind sharing your OAT scores, I am interviewing ICO in Dec1 and definitely want to go there. Taking the OAT in 2 weeks and want to know where I could stand in the acceptance process.

Thanks

wait...so scco accepted someone with lower than a 300 on RC? they told me they had rules changed for this application cycle. RC above a 300 and gpa above a 3.0. that really pisses me off that they wont grant me an interview because im 0.03 off on precalculated undergrad gpa and i have a fricking masters gpa of 3.33. they told me the rules couldnt be bent even after i wrote a letter for reconsideration. that bites!

wait...so scco accepted someone with lower than a 300 on RC? they told me they had rules changed for this application cycle. RC above a 300 and gpa above a 3.0. that really pisses me off that they wont grant me an interview because im 0.03 off on precalculated undergrad gpa and i have a fricking masters gpa of 3.33. they told me the rules couldnt be bent even after i wrote a letter for reconsideration. that bites!

Out of curiousity, what was your master's in? Your major? In general, undergrad GPA seems to carry a lot more weight than a grad GPA. Hope it works out for you in the long run.

my masters in biochemistry and molecular biology. i know i messed up in undergrad, but i figured my oats showed that i fully understand it well now coz i got 340 AA and TS with a 330 in RC too. oh wells...pco it is...i was really hoping to stay near home.

I wrote the oat yesterday and i did really well except in RC. I am VERY worried that this is going to affect my chances to be interviewed because I was not able to put out applications until the beginning of last week. I got a 270 on RC and if schools don't accept this then I am in big trouble because I won't be able to write the oat again for 90 days but by then most of the application deadlines will have passed and if I write it again I might not score as high as I did in the sciences. Considering my scores (below), a 3.38gpa and the fact that I didn't apply until last week, do you think I'm in good or bad shape?

QR-330
RC-270
BIO-360
CHEM-370
ORGO-380
PHY-330
TS-370
AA-340

All of my other scores are good, so I really hope that schools will look at them more instead of just focussing on my RC score.

thanks

hey 4eyed,
can you please let me what was your reading comp score ...i have a pretty low score on that particular section and since my priority is ICO ...i was hoping you would tell me what you got in reading comp so that i could judge my situation...i am very tensed ..please help.Also what should i focus on for bio.
diams

Hey curious5321,
you should sit back and relax ...your scores are pretty good and reading comp is not not awful so right now you should just chill ..the opt schools interview till end of march...so you have good chance of getting in...however, on a sid not i wanted to ask you how you studied for bio ..i am having a tough time getting beyond a 310 on that section ...please help.Please tell me in detail what practice tests you studied with where did you study the concepts and stuff

Hey! To make some of you feel a little better I got into pco with a reading score of 260. I also got an interview with neco with that score too. My AA was 300 and TS was a 320. However, I do have a high GPA, but remember that they look at other things besides your reading score:0) Good luck to everyone!

I wrote the oat yesterday and i did really well except in RC. I am VERY worried that this is going to affect my chances to be interviewed because I was not able to put out applications until the beginning of last week. I got a 270 on RC and if schools don't accept this then I am in big trouble because I won't be able to write the oat again for 90 days but by then most of the application deadlines will have passed and if I write it again I might not score as high as I did in the sciences. Considering my scores (below), a 3.38gpa and the fact that I didn't apply until last week, do you think I'm in good or bad shape?

QR-330
RC-270
BIO-360
CHEM-370
ORGO-380
PHY-330
TS-370
AA-340

All of my other scores are good, so I really hope that schools will look at them more instead of just focussing on my RC score.

thanks

curious, you and I have identical TS, AA and RC scores. Though my GPA is slightly higher, I got in PCO last year and SUNY this year. Good luck.

Hey diams,

For the bio stuff, I studied from Kaplan's most recent DAT book. It was alright, but I'm sure that there is better stuff out there. It gives general info which is good, but you need to know some stuff in more detail than that. I also borrowed the Kaplan DAT/OAT flashcards that you get when you take the prep course from a friend. They helped to test my knowledge but I only got through 3/4 of them before the test. I think a lot of my success in bio was just remembering stuff from university. I did a forensic science/biology degree, so a lot of the bio concepts were drilled into my head. I actually anticipated a poor score on bio after I finished the section because a bunch of the stuff in the DAT book didn't cover the detail that I needed.

Good Luck!