Anyone a Clinical Research Coordinator?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lajessmess

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I'm taking two years off before I plan on going to medical school. I'm currently interviewing at several places to be a Clinical Research Coordinator and I was wondering what other's experiences have been. Some questions of mine...

- What are some good questions to ask during the in-person interview? (I have two coming up this week)
- What has your experience been like
- Are you close with your PI?
- Do you meet people who are also pre-med?
- What are some of your favorite things about it
- Have you been published?

I'm very curious because I have spoken to a few who have interviewed me on the phone, and it seems like CRCs have wildly different experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The last sentence in your post basically sums it all up.

I worked as a CRC for two years before starting med school (did something else for 2 years before that). Experiences vary widely by PI, department, and institution. Mostly, it's up to the PI.

I did a TON of ish because I worked for surgeons that were always busy and trusted me to make decisions for them when it came to research and run things by them when I needed to. I got a lot accomplished and learned a ton. I worked at a large hospital so I had a lot of friends that I made through random stuff and bumping into people, a few of whom ended up in med school as well and I'm still close to and in contact with.

I got a few papers out of it including a first author pub and even gave a talk at a conference.

Regarding good questions to ask, you should ask about expectations. I would express interest in learning about research etc etc etc, but try not to sound too pushy about wanting pubs. You may want to instead ask what previous CRC's have accomplished there and how they have contributed to projects etc.

Bon chance.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello all

I'm taking two years off before I plan on going to medical school. I'm currently interviewing at several places to be a Clinical Research Coordinator and I was wondering what other's experiences have been. Some questions of mine...

- What are some good questions to ask during the in-person interview? (I have two coming up this week)
- What has your experience been like
- Are you close with your PI?
- Do you meet people who are also pre-med?
- What are some of your favorite things about it
- Have you been published?

I'm very curious because I have spoken to a few who have interviewed me on the phone, and it seems like CRCs have wildly different experiences.

I've been a CRC for 5 years. The jobs can vary between institutions and even between departments in the same institution. It also depends on the type of research you're doing, someone who does a lot of sponsored research is going to have a different experience than someone who does more NIH funded research or investigator initiated.

Do you have clinical research experience? I was a clinical research assistant in college which helped me hit the ground running but it's definitely a job you can be trained to do but it's important that you pick a place that you feel confident will train you and not leave you floundering to find your own way, that's how big mistakes are made and in clinical research even the most innocent mistake can have far reaching consequences.

Good questions to ask - why did the previous person leave? What do you need to accomplish in 90 days to be successful? In 6 months? what is an average day/week like? What kind of studies do they do (Investigator initiated, sponsor trials, NIH studies, other)? What is the breakdown between prospective and retrospective studies? How are the responsibilities divided between patient visits, IRB work, monitor visits if applicable, working on publications/presentations, research meetings? Is there an opportunity for you to be published? To present at a regional or national meeting? Is there funding for you to attend meetings? Who does the research team consist of (PI, other coordinators, research assistants, other health professionals, statistician, etc)?

My experience- like I said I was a clinical research assistant in college, this was at a big ivy research institution, I learned a lot but also had a lot more guidance and supervision because I worked on a team with two coordinators and 5 assistants. My first job as a coordinator was at a personal care brand so we did studies on like sunscreen and nasal spray and it was interesting but not very challenging. Most of the time our PIs were not even MDs. It was very different than academic clinical research, I worked there for 2.5 years and went back to academics. For the last 2.5 years I've been a research coordinator at a hospital that is affiliated with a medical school. It's a little different than my experience in college because my undergrad was a research machine and had its own hospitals. My current employer is just a hospital, the MDs are faculty at the med school but they don't pay the bills. We don't have any research assistants, most departments have one coordinator, I work in the highest volume department and have about 60 open projects and 20 pending publications at any given time. There is no supervision. I see my PIs once a weekish, sometimes more, sometimes less and otherwise I go about my business and they call me if they need something and vice versa. I have to stay super organized and stay on top of my schedule, it can be very stressful sometimes but I've appreciated the experience. Hope that helps.

My PIs- I am the coordinator for the whole ortho department so I have multiple PIs, they all do research to an extent but I'm fairly close with the ones that do the most research. Two of them wrote LORs for me. They really integrate me into the team, they invite me to journal clubs and educational events that they have for the residents (and there's always free food!), they give me a lot of opportunities for exposure.

Premed peeps - at my undergrad, one of the most common things for people to do for their gap year(s) was research. I know of a lot of pre med clinical research coordinators. I moved to a different part of the country after undergrad so where I am in the South, it's not as common. Most clinical research coordinators are former nurses. That's nice because the salary is much more competitive down here than many places. I'm making almost twice as much as some of my friends who are coordinators in the northeast. But I know the hospital one of my friends works at is tired of the crc/medical school revolving door so they are raising salaries and looking for more long term/career crcs.

Favorite things - patients are my favorite. I work at a children's hospital and I love our patients and their families. Also, no day is the same (unless I'm in the middle of a huge chart review and have to lock myself in my office for long periods of time), there's a good mix of patient contact, boring paperwork, chart reviews, data entry, and some writing opportunities. My co-workers and PIs are also pretty cool.

Publications - I have one publication and two that have yet to be published. I don't know if it's like this in other fields but in ortho there is a looong time between a publication being accepted and actually seeing it in print. So hopefully you have 1 (or more) accepted publication when you apply, even if it hasn't been published yet it's fine, still talk about it in your interviews. I have a bunch of posters/presentations (much quicker turn around on those, had several on my application). My PIs are very encouraging, they're always pushing me to take the lead on projects, which I have tried to do but it's sometimes hard balancing everything.

I think that's all for now. Sorry for typos and anything that makes no sense, I typed this on my phone. Hope that's helpful, let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Edit: saw ridethecliche's party after I submitted this and ditto what they said too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I worked as a CRC for two years before starting med school (did something else for 2 years before that). Experiences vary widely by PI, department, and institution. Mostly, it's up to the PI.

I did a TON of ish because I worked for surgeons that were always busy and trusted me to make decisions for them when it came to research and run things by them when I needed to. I got a lot accomplished and learned a ton. I worked at a large hospital so I had a lot of friends that I made through random stuff and bumping into people, a few of whom ended up in med school as well and I'm still close to and in contact with.

I got a few papers out of it including a first author pub and even gave a talk at a conference.

Regarding good questions to ask, you should ask about expectations. I would express interest in learning about research etc etc etc, but try not to sound too pushy about wanting pubs. You may want to instead ask what previous CRC's have accomplished there and how they have contributed to projects etc.

Bon chance.

Thanks! I have yet to hear of any CRC who absolutely hates it, so that's encouraging.

I've been a CRC for 5 years. The jobs can vary between institutions and even between departments in the same institution. It also depends on the type of research you're doing, someone who does a lot of sponsored research is going to have a different experience than someone who does more NIH funded research or investigator initiated.

Do you have clinical research experience? I was a clinical research assistant in college which helped me hit the ground running but it's definitely a job you can be trained to do but it's important that you pick a place that you feel confident will train you and not leave you floundering to find your own way, that's how big mistakes are made and in clinical research even the most innocent mistake can have far reaching consequences.

Good questions to ask - why did the previous person leave? What do you need to accomplish in 90 days to be successful? In 6 months? what is an average day/week like? What kind of studies do they do (Investigator initiated, sponsor trials, NIH studies, other)? What is the breakdown between prospective and retrospective studies? How are the responsibilities divided between patient visits, IRB work, monitor visits if applicable, working on publications/presentations, research meetings? Is there an opportunity for you to be published? To present at a regional or national meeting? Is there funding for you to attend meetings? Who does the research team consist of (PI, other coordinators, research assistants, other health professionals, statistician, etc)?

My experience- like I said I was a clinical research assistant in college, this was at a big ivy research institution, I learned a lot but also had a lot more guidance and supervision because I worked on a team with two coordinators and 5 assistants. My first job as a coordinator was at a personal care brand so we did studies on like sunscreen and nasal spray and it was interesting but not very challenging. Most of the time our PIs were not even MDs. It was very different than academic clinical research, I worked there for 2.5 years and went back to academics. For the last 2.5 years I've been a research coordinator at a hospital that is affiliated with a medical school. It's a little different than my experience in college because my undergrad was a research machine and had its own hospitals. My current employer is just a hospital, the MDs are faculty at the med school but they don't pay the bills. We don't have any research assistants, most departments have one coordinator, I work in the highest volume department and have about 60 open projects and 20 pending publications at any given time. There is no supervision. I see my PIs once a weekish, sometimes more, sometimes less and otherwise I go about my business and they call me if they need something and vice versa. I have to stay super organized and stay on top of my schedule, it can be very stressful sometimes but I've appreciated the experience. Hope that helps.

My PIs- I am the coordinator for the whole ortho department so I have multiple PIs, they all do research to an extent but I'm fairly close with the ones that do the most research. Two of them wrote LORs for me. They really integrate me into the team, they invite me to journal clubs and educational events that they have for the residents (and there's always free food!), they give me a lot of opportunities for exposure.

Premed peeps - at my undergrad, one of the most common things for people to do for their gap year(s) was research. I know of a lot of pre med clinical research coordinators. I moved to a different part of the country after undergrad so where I am in the South, it's not as common. Most clinical research coordinators are former nurses. That's nice because the salary is much more competitive down here than many places. I'm making almost twice as much as some of my friends who are coordinators in the northeast. But I know the hospital one of my friends works at is tired of the crc/medical school revolving door so they are raising salaries and looking for more long term/career crcs.

Favorite things - patients are my favorite. I work at a children's hospital and I love our patients and their families. Also, no day is the same (unless I'm in the middle of a huge chart review and have to lock myself in my office for long periods of time), there's a good mix of patient contact, boring paperwork, chart reviews, data entry, and some writing opportunities. My co-workers and PIs are also pretty cool.

Publications - I have one publication and two that have yet to be published. I don't know if it's like this in other fields but in ortho there is a looong time between a publication being accepted and actually seeing it in print. So hopefully you have 1 (or more) accepted publication when you apply, even if it hasn't been published yet it's fine, still talk about it in your interviews. I have a bunch of posters/presentations (much quicker turn around on those, had several on my application). My PIs are very encouraging, they're always pushing me to take the lead on projects, which I have tried to do but it's sometimes hard balancing everything.

I think that's all for now. Sorry for typos and anything that makes no sense, I typed this on my phone. Hope that's helpful, let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Edit: saw ridethecliche's party after I submitted this and ditto what they said too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interesting, so I am actually interviewing for a neurology lab tomorrow and the CRC I spoke with during the phone screen was raving about his position (the pubs, staff support, conferences, etc) But the lab mostly runs pharma trials and still it seems that the CRCs are still able to get published.

Thanks for your input :)

Bon chance.

Thanks! I have yet to hear of any CRC who absolutely hates it, so that's encouraging.

How hard is it to get one of these jobs if you were not involved in clinical research in college, but instead did things like health policy and health literacy research?

Also is it common to be able to do this position for a year between undergrad graduation and the beginning of medical school, or are most places looking for at least a 2 year commitment?

Finally is it common for most departments to be amenable to students to go on med school interviews while working?

Also tagging @efle since I remember seeing you were involved with clinical research somewhere.

Thanks everyone, and sorry for hijacking your thread a bit OP:p

I was hired with only basic science/animal model research XP, same for my incoming replacement. However my role was very much assisting with data collecting, it was always residents/fellows that were designing the studies and taking the first author role. Unsure of how the coordinator positions y'all are considering would compare to that.

It was extremely easy to get the days off needed to go to interviews. Worst case you miss a couple candidates and the study takes an extra day or two at the other end to reach the target numbers. Retrospective work is always sitting there waiting to be done usually with no rush. Bosses' reaction when I'd ask for days off was always /shrug sure nbd

I think @Affiche might have insight too.

I was hired with only basic science/animal model research XP, same for my incoming replacement. However my role was very much assisting with data collecting, it was always residents/fellows that were designing the studies and taking the first author role. Unsure of how the coordinator positions y'all are considering would compare to that.

It was extremely easy to get the days off needed to go to interviews. Worst case you miss a couple candidates and the study takes an extra day or two at the other end to reach the target numbers. Retrospective work is always sitting there waiting to be done usually with no rush. Bosses' reaction when I'd ask for days off was always /shrug sure nbd

I think @Affiche might have insight too.

I'm not looking for any specific type of work! I guess something related to health disparities would be great. Do you have any tips for the best way to find jobs that are open to people without a clinical research background, and that is reasonable with accommodations for interviews? Is it much more "high yield" to try to find work with a medical school or hospital system to get this type of setup, and any other tips you might have now that you've been doing it for a year?

I'm not looking for any specific type of work! I guess something related to health disparities would be great. Do you have any tips for the best way to find jobs that are open to people without a clinical research background, and that is reasonable with accommodations for interviews? Is it much more "high yield" to try to find work with a medical school or hospital system to get this type of setup, and any other tips you might have now that you've been doing it for a year?
I actually found my position through my pre-health office, which spam mails all the seniors with various job opportunities good for premeds. Short of knowing someone already in a role you'd like and asking them to put in a word for you/pass along your resume, I think a prehealth or career office for your school would be the best place to check. I don't personally know anything about job hunting for work related to disparities or policy unfortunately.

I actually found my position through my pre-health office, which spam mails all the seniors with various job opportunities good for premeds. Short of knowing someone already in a role you'd like and asking them to put in a word for you/pass along your resume, I think a prehealth or career office for your school would be the best place to check. I don't personally know anything about job hunting for work related to disparities or policy unfortunately.

Thanks bro, I appreciate the tips!

Seems the answer has already been given, but I'd just like to second ridethecliche's comments.

The title of "clinical research coordinator" is like saying "I'm an athlete." It could entail almost anything depending on the department, the volume of research, sponsored vs. PI initiated research, the PI him/herself, the size of the staff, the type of research (phase I, II, III, for instance), etc. It could be anything from a purely clinical job to a 24/7 desk job. You could be writing grant proposals or manuscripts or protocols, churning out posters/pubs, or you could just be responsible for patient recruitment and have a real boring time. It could mean almost anything, so you really have to dig at interviews to figure out what your day to day will be, and in particular what the other coordinators/RAs do in the department.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I was also a CRC but my role was very different from Efle's. I was the youngest CRC in my department by ~10 years and the only one planning to go to medical school (which I kept quiet for a while). It was definitely a career rather than a gap year job, if you know what I mean, but I absolutely loved it! My salary was dope, I made my own schedule (days off for interviewing was easy), I was flown to a few conferences, got a couple of publications, and became very close with 5-6 PIs whose projects I managed and they are all incredible mentors to me now that I'm in school. I think this is probably not a very common role to have and I had to get promoted into it, but if you're offered anything like this, you should definitely do it!

Reactions: 2 users
How hard is it to get one of these jobs if you were not involved in clinical research in college, but instead did things like health policy and health literacy research?

Also is it common to be able to do this position for a year between undergrad graduation and the beginning of medical school, or are most places looking for at least a 2 year commitment?

Finally is it common for most departments to be amenable to students to go on med school interviews while working?

There are clinical research/research jobs that focus on things like health policy and health literacy. They're also relevant to those interested in going to medical school.

I personally didn't like the idea of hiring folks for 1 year. When I was leading the hiring process at my gig, I wanted someone that would be there for two years unless the person that wanted a year was a ridiculously spectacular applicant. If you're somewhere for a year and that year is your cycle, you're basically going to be trying to learn and do too many things at once and will be starting the interview process soon after you just get the hang of the position. This obviously depends on the size of your department as well.

I'm of the opinion that you can't accomplish all that much in a year in a gig like this. Give it two years and you actually get and give something meaningful to the experience. Obviously some exceptions blah blah blah, but it is what it is.

Also tagging @efle since I remember seeing you were involved with clinical research somewhere.

Thanks everyone, and sorry for hijacking your thread a bit OP:p

I volunteered on a clinical research project for a year in San Diego, where I got exposure to collecting human specimen samples (spit) and consenting patients into a study. But honestly I did this once a week and no more than 5 hours max. Basically, it looks good on my resume. Did I really contribute a bunch? Definitely not. I applied to about 21 so far within the span of one week and heard back from places within two weeks. I've heard back from maybe 10. For some people it takes forever, some people will get calls immediately. You don't need experience, but you need to seem interested in clinical research.

I heard back from some places who hire "clinical research coordinator assistants". It's basically the same thing as a CRC from what I know, but you get payed 10k less (from the institution I am applying to). I mention this because the assistant jobs I think are a little more flexible with the 1 year situation.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was also a CRC but my role was very different from Efle's. I was the youngest CRC in my department by ~10 years and the only one planning to go to medical school (which I kept quiet for a while). It was definitely a career rather than a gap year job, if you know what I mean, but I absolutely loved it! My salary was dope, I made my own schedule (days off for interviewing was easy), I was flown to a few conferences, got a couple of publications, and became very close with 5-6 PIs whose projects I managed and they are all incredible mentors to me now that I'm in school. I think this is probably not a very common role to have and I had to get promoted into it, but if you're offered anything like this, you should definitely do it!

CRC GOALS

Seems the answer has already been given, but I'd just like to second ridethecliche's comments.
It could mean almost anything, so you really have to dig at interviews to figure out what your day to day will be, and in particular what the other coordinators/RAs do in the department.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I've noticed during the phone screenings that some clinics are certainly "better" for pre-meds. It's crazy because when I initially applied I was totally under the illusion that all CRC jobs are FANTASTIC, but I've noticed some clinics to be more cut and dry. Some places really want you to just do paper work, and others seems to really support CRCs for future schooling like med or public health. Some CRCs I spoke with over the phone would tell me about their experience working there and how they were able to attend workshops, professional development classes, and even workshops on interviewing (which I think would be great before I apply next cycle).

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I've noticed during the phone screenings that some clinics are certainly "better" for pre-meds. It's crazy because when I initially applied I was totally under the illusion that all CRC jobs are FANTASTIC, but I've noticed some clinics to be more cut and dry. Some places really want you to just do paper work, and others seems to really support CRCs for future schooling like med or public health. Some CRCs I spoke with over the phone would tell me about their experience working there and how they were able to attend workshops, professional development classes, and even workshops on interviewing (which I think would be great before I apply next cycle).
Yea my first CRC job was more like Affiche's, without any of the opportunity lol. The next youngest person in my office was 48 years old, and most of the CRCs and nurses had been in that same office for well over a decade. There was also zero support for personal enrichment or possibility for connection with the PIs, and I hated it. The position was 95% paperwork/running around for signatures, 5% scheduling patients.

I've been a CRC for a few years and have really enjoyed it. As stated, it can be vastly different depending on a private practice, hospital, or CRO setting. But all in all, I like the balance of rendering care to patients, the research, and close partnership with PIs who are focused on advancing their field of focus. Indeed, there is a synthesis of desk/administrative work and actual patient contact, but from what I learned the more time you put into screening for potential patients, the more time you will spend interacting with them. While CRCs work in all areas of medicine, it is likely you will learn anatomy and physiology specific to the organ(s) your PI specializes in.

During my interview I was open with the interviewers that I was considering medical school. Turns out they jump at future students due to the high personal standards and desire to learn.