ANYBODY heard back for HPSP yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTBtony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if ANYBODY has heard from the Navy yet for the HPSP. I submitted my finalized application back at the end of January, upon which my recruiter told me I would probably hear back by the end of February or beginning of March. Obviously it's been WAY past that and I was just wondering if anyone knew when the boards met for Navy HPSP, or if it's the same as Army (although I've been told it's different).

I contacted my recruiter and he said he just spoke with his Program Manager and he told my recruiter my kit would be reviewed by the board soon. Seems like a VERY long time for my kit to just be sitting somewhere, unless they had no board meetings since January, which for some reason I really doubt.

Do any of you think there is a problem? Like maybe my recruiter is not forwarding my kit to the right person or maybe he just didn't send it off for a long time? For some reason I feel like he is not telling me the whole truth about the ongoings of my kit.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if ANYBODY has heard from the Navy yet for the HPSP. I submitted my finalized application back at the end of January, upon which my recruiter told me I would probably hear back by the end of February or beginning of March. Obviously it's been WAY past that and I was just wondering if anyone knew when the boards met for Navy HPSP, or if it's the same as Army (although I've been told it's different).

I contacted my recruiter and he said he just spoke with his Program Manager and he told my recruiter my kit would be reviewed by the board soon. Seems like a VERY long time for my kit to just be sitting somewhere, unless they had no board meetings since January, which for some reason I really doubt.

Do any of you think there is a problem? Like maybe my recruiter is not forwarding my kit to the right person or maybe he just didn't send it off for a long time? For some reason I feel like he is not telling me the whole truth about the ongoings of my kit.

MTB,

I'm sorry to hear about this. Boards for the Navy are separate from the Army. I'm fairly certain you should have heard by now. I think my package (Navy) was submitted and ready for the board in Feb. (the 17th I believe) and while the results were held for a longggg time, I just signed my commissioning papers earlier this week. I know there was at least one more board in March and I've heard some talk that the Navy has filled ALL of their HPSP spots. It seems quite shady that your package submitted in January has yet to be reviewed. I sincerely hope that your recruiter has done all the necessary things to get your package to the board but it does not seem to be the case...
I wish you the best and if you find out what is going on with your package I'd be very interested to hear what your recruiter has to say.

A Navy dentist with a credible source (BUMED?) stated that all 4 year Navy HPSPs have been taken.

As a side note, my recruiter told me there were some 4 year HPSPs left for the March boards. But you know how recruiters are with the "truth."

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to play the "my recruiter said" game but I applied for the Navy scholarship in March knowing it was late in the process and my recruiter received direction that all packets needed to be submitted by April 1st (we were going for May) as the last Navy selection board was meeting April 8th (today). He said they usually don't fill their scholarships so quickly but this year has been different. On another note, you can look at the BUMED site and I can't find any information that details numbers of HPSP scholarships, budgets, etc. It just has a lot of generic info. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough into the website but I can't find any of this type of information. If you have seen this info. on the website, post a link.

Ya, I've kind of been freaking out recently because of the things I've been hearing. He told me from the beginning that I didn't need an interview because of my GPA and DAT score, which were both good. I contacted him back at the end of October to actually start the app, but didn't send in all the required things until mid-December. He got back to me with the final papers to send in and then I actually came in to the base with him at end of January, signed paperwork (not commissioning), but the stuff that says you agree that all the info. is true, etc... and I also had my fingerprints taken and everything. He submitted the next day (supposedly he said) and I have yet to hear back from him until I contacted him the other day. It's been TWO months!!! I have heard all the things about recruiters and what not, but in all honestly, I was in San Diego and I was one of the few that actually applied for HPSP that early, so I don't see what the problem is.

All I can say is that I REALLY hope that the above info. is not correct that they have all been filled. On another note, I'm almost certain you don't need to get the MEPS done before hand, but they screwed up my paperwork and I have not been able to reschedule for well over a month now. My recruiter told me that I did not need it done before, I can be "Professionally Recommended" then just get it done afterwards to finalize everything. Maybe the decision was already made and he has yet to tell me before my MEPS? I don't know, but I know there is someone to blame for this because I had everything done in January, so...ya. I really hope I do not get it back saying I didn't get it (with my grades and earliness, I'm pretty sure I should have gotten it) and then hear back that my recruiter sat on it forever before really submitting it.

When I spoke with my recruiter in early March there were 52 applicants (apps completed, apps accepted, and kits in progress) for...52 spots. My recruiter said about 2 weeks ago that not all of the spots had been taken yet. My friend who got his app completed in Feb got accepted in March and also just signed his commissioning papers. Hopefully we will hear some good news soon...

If not, I'm sure some people will decide not to accept so even if all of the spots have been claimed there could still be a light at the end of the tunnel.

When I spoke with my recruiter in early March there were 52 applicants (apps completed, apps accepted, and kits in progress) for...52 spots.

If not, I'm sure some people will decide not to accept so even if all of the spots have been claimed there could still be a light at the end of the tunnel.

To continue the "my recruiter said this" game. Mine said there were only 9 HPSPs up for March (Note that this information is contrary to what the Navy Dentist said over in the official Navy forum). I don't know about 52 spots though man... because it is reaaaally late in the cycle and the Navy typically only offers 50-70 per year? :confused:

Also, the recruiter told me that there is a giant influx of apps for the March boards. So those of us who got into the March one will likely hear back at the end of April/beginning of May:xf:

^
I looked at the email the head of the recruiters had sent out and at that point there were only 52 total spots for 2011 with 52 apps in progress, accepted, etc. I don't remember how many had been actually filled, though it seemed like around 40 or so. Mind you that was over a month ago and no doubt there have been more people applying. :thumbdown:

For those of you waiting to hear back, what are you planning to do if you don't get a 4-year HPSP through the Navy? Navy HSCP? 3-year HPSP through the Army?

The HSCP isn't geared towards an individual like me - no family to care for, attending an out-of-state school (University of Pittsburgh), and I'm not certain on a lifelong military career. I will likely apply for a 3-year Army HPSP considering my situation.

For those of you waiting to hear back, what are you planning to do if you don't get a 4-year HPSP through the Navy? Navy HSCP? 3-year HPSP through the Army?

The HSCP isn't geared towards an individual like me - no family to care for, attending an out-of-state school (University of Pittsburgh), and I'm not certain on a lifelong military career. I will likely apply for a 3-year Army HPSP considering my situation.

Honestly, I would probably choose the 3 year Army HPSP over the HSCP. Same reasoning as you: expensive school and not sure about a career in the military.

BUT (and I could be wrong), I think you would/should have applied for the Army HPSP already in order to be awarded a 3 or 3.5 year scholarship. From the info I gleaned from other threads, it's not guaranteed that they will even give any 3/3.5 year scholarships as the 4 years have been 100% awarded these past few years (ie, no funding) :thumbdown:

Well my main career goal is to teach at a school, so I may just get a PhD and make the NIH pay back my loans if I don't get a Navy 4yr scholarship :)

Well, unfortunately for me I just got the news that I didn't get the HPSP or HSCP, as there were no more spots left for either. I would assume those still waiting to hear about their apps should know very soon.

Well, unfortunately for me I just got the news that I didn't get the HPSP or HSCP, as there were no more spots left for either. I would assume those still waiting to hear about their apps should know very soon.

How did you find out? Did they call or email??

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked with my recruiter yesterday and he told me he had been checking every day but they hadn't yet received anything. He thought the results would be released on Friday maybe but that he would keep checking each day and call me if they posted the results. Makes me wonder the same thing as John.

I talked with my recruiter yesterday and he told me he had been checking every day but they hadn't yet received anything. He thought the results would be released on Friday maybe but that he would keep checking each day and call me if they posted the results. Makes me wonder the same thing as John.

Just talked to my recruiter. He said that there's a shatload of last minute applications for the March board and the Navy has been holding boards every week to go over all of them.

Not sure about the validity of that. He also said that for those submitted for the March board may have NOT been seen yet (due to the sheer number of apps for the March board) and that it we may be reviewed next week and accepted/rejected the week thereafter :confused:

Just talked to my recruiter. He said that there's a shatload of last minute applications for the March board and the Navy has been holding boards every week to go over all of them.

Not sure about the validity of that. He also said that for those submitted for the March board may have NOT been seen yet (due to the sheer number of apps for the March board) and that it we may be reviewed next week and accepted/rejected the week thereafter :confused:

<Insert joke about government inefficiency here lol>

My recruiter called/emailed me the letter saying the Navy's reached its quota for HPSP. This is what I get for not applying earlier.

Thanks for the heads up Phoebe.

If anyone hears anything... please update this thread. Thanks :)

Just got off the phone with my recruiter and it's a no go. I didn't even get to have my application sent to the board. She told me that there are 20 people on the waitlist and then there's a bunch of people in limbo like me. In October they will open up the process again for 3 year HPSP applications. FML. :(

Just got off the phone with my recruiter and it's a no go. I didn't even get to have my application sent to the board. She told me that there are 20 people on the waitlist and then there's a bunch of people in limbo like me. In October they will open up the process again for 3 year HPSP applications. FML. :(

Just to clarify...so you had everything completed and submitted for the March boards and they tell you NOW that they're not even going to submit your app?! :eek:

Or did you just start the app? Or mid-app?

If you want to be in the running for a 3 year, you should apply now anyway. You have to apply NOW to be considered for the 3 year in October (at least, that's how I think it's done) :luck:

I completed my app in time for the most recent board and found out today that they had too many applications for them to even LOOK at mine. I'm a little frustrated right now...considering when my packet was completed there were exactly the number of applicants needed to fill all the spots.

I don't know how the 3 year one works, but I am going to apply for the Air Force too...considering I went all Navy and got bit in the backside.

Honestly, I really think I got shafted by the recruiting in my local area. The recruiter that I got dumped on was amazing, but there were about 1-2 months of me calling all over the place and not hearing anything back, thus delaying me starting the application. Oh well, everything happens for a reason.:cool:

I completed my app in time for the most recent board and found out today that they had too many applications for them to even LOOK at mine. I'm a little frustrated right now...considering when my packet was completed there were exactly the number of applicants needed to fill all the spots.

I don't know how the 3 year one works, but I am going to apply for the Air Force too...considering I went all Navy and got bit in the backside.

Honestly, I really think I got shafted by the recruiting in my local area. The recruiter that I got dumped on was amazing, but there were about 1-2 months of me calling all over the place and not hearing anything back, thus delaying me starting the application. Oh well, everything happens for a reason.:cool:

**** dude, I'm in the same scenario (except no call - yet). Completed and submitted for March boards, but haven't heard any positive/negative news to date. Just that they got "an overwhelming number of applications" for March board.

Recruiters are a crapshoot. Some are super knowledgeable and responsive; others don't know ****. Sometimes, it's better to just come on this forum and ask questions from others who have gone through the same process for better/trustworthy answers.

As for the 3 year HPSP, you need to apply now bro. It's typically awarded to those who applied but were not given the 4 year HPSP (they are 'qualified' but not enough funding existed at the time). Thus, apply now and get on the wait/OML-list then possibly receive a 3.5 or 3 year scholarship when the new fiscal year begins in October; not guaranteed you would get it though. I think that's how it works for the Navy/Army; not too sure about AF.

I had to call, so I would suggest trying to get in touch with them. How do you go about applying for the 3 yr one? I thought you already had to be in school for that? Do you just not get any support in the first or last year or something?

I had to call, so I would suggest trying to get in touch with them. How do you go about applying for the 3 yr one? I thought you already had to be in school for that? Do you just not get any support in the first or last year or something?

From what I read in other threads, it seems that only those who applied and were placed on the waitlist (not rejected) were given a choice between a 3.5 or 3 year scholarship.

A Navy (or was it Army?) dentist said that they usually award between 10-15 3.5/3yr scholarships in October, but since the 4yr HPSP has been fully allotted each year that it seems unlikely this cycle. The earlier you apply the better.

Assuming you were offered a 3.5 yr, you would pay the first semester of your school tuition/fees, owe 4 years AD, but get the $20k bonus. If you take the 3 year, you would owe 3 years AD and don't get a bonus; they pay for the last 3 years of dschool.

Last edited:
Just got a response from my recruiter. He said that the 'decline letters' for several applicants came out on Friday.

They will now go through the remaining list and prioritize us. If you are not selected (assuming all scholarships are out as previously discussed in other threads) then you will be listed as an alternate or a 'failed to select.'

Also said that we should expect results shortly - possibly next week :luck:

So results won't be released this week, but possible next week?

They have sent rejection letters to recruiters on Friday for those who will definitely not get the scholarship; recruiters will inform you soon. Probably this week.

If you are not declined, then they are still deciding on your status... which is good news. Sort of. Earliest we will know is next week. But if the past is a predictor of the future... I'd say give them 2+ weeks :rolleyes:

Last edited:
They have sent rejection letters to recruiters on Friday for those who will definitely not get the scholarship; recruiters will inform you soon. Probably this week.

If you are not declined, then they are still deciding on your status... which is good news. Sort of. Earliest we will know is next week. But if the past is a predictor of the future... I'd say give them 2+ weeks :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info., did your recruiter have any info. on whether there were scholarships available or if everyone was getting wait-listed? I am going to chat with my recruiter later day, if I can add anything new i'll post it.

He said they will, "determine how many spots are remaining, and if you are in the list, then you are a select. If you are not, then you will either be an alternate (if you are close to the number needed) or a failed to select."

So, it sounds like there are a few left. But idk man. Let me know if you hear anything.

He said they will, "determine how many spots are remaining, and if you are in the list, then you are a select. If you are not, then you will either be an alternate (if you are close to the number needed) or a failed to select."

So, it sounds like there are a few left. But idk man. Let me know if you hear anything.

I was able to talk with my recruiter today. He said I made it through the first selection board successfully, he used some term that I forget, but it equated to being conditionally selected for the scholarship. He said getting successfully through the first selection board is the hardest part. There are two more reviews my application will go through but he said 95% get through this without any problems. The 2nd step is another medical records review in Tennessee, which he thought shouldn't be an issue since I already did MEPS without any problems. The 3rd will be the background check and he said 7-10 days is the typical turn around time and as long as nothing bad pops out of the closet it should be a yes. The only caveat he put out there was if all the scholarship slots fill, they will stop all remaining applications where they are at and won't process them any further. Thus, because they are still processing the applications this means there are slots available but he didn't say how many. He said he will be checking my application status as it moves through this process and if anything slows it down, or if they run out of scholarships then he will let me know.

The 3rd will be the background check and he said 7-10 days is the typical turn around time and as long as nothing bad pops out of the closet it should be a yes.

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, will it take 7-10 days total to get through parts II and III? Or 7-10 days each? If it's total, then we should know the results some time between May 3-6 (next week).

I really hope there's 3-4 scholarships left for us. Whoever gets it first, please update so we know what's going on. All this waiting is killing me...

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, will it take 7-10 days total to get through parts II and III? Or 7-10 days each? If it's total, then we should know the results some time between May 3-6 (next week).

I really hope there's 3-4 scholarships left for us. Whoever gets it first, please update so we know what's going on. All this waiting is killing me...

I hear you man. I am anticipating a fail to select or rejection, but I can't get a hold of my recruiter at all. It's really frustrating...

My recruiter said 7-10 days total. Hopefully it's accurate because this waiting game sucks. It's like waiting for Dec. 1st all over again.

Just got off the phone with my recruiter... as I started this thread and submitted my app back at the end of January, I thought it was kind of ridiculous to wait this long. So this is what happened...

He never told me I had been professionally recommended, even though I had a while back, because he was waiting for me to get my MEPS done. I had some football injuries that they wanted to see records for, but they took over a month to get back to me after I submitted them only to say that I need to go see my physician for "official medical records." So my recruiter has probably known for a month now, but didn't want to tell me and get my hopes up just in case... I am so pissed off at him it's unreal. I wouldn't have been sitting around thinking that the MEPS doctors were actually checking something when they weren't. They thought I had knee and back surgery, but I've NEVER had any surgery. They could have looked in 2 seconds and see that I have no scar tissue and issue solved.

So this is the outcome I have heard from him for all HPSP. He says all the Fiscal Year (FY) 2011 spots have been filled, but those that are professionally recommended are still eligible for FY2012. He says that the payments would start as soon as you commission, which he says is around October to December. This means we would have to take out loans to pay off that first couple of quarters or semester, then once we are commissioned we start receiving payment, which would be in that month range I gave. I guess I would have to talk to my school to see how they distribute their tuition and fees, but I think I speak for most everyone in that the first quarters/semester/year is by far the most expensive because of everything you need to buy up front.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I seriously considering withdrawing my application even though I was professionally recommended. If I go into say, $50k in debt, before receiving the scholarship, then I already have to pay about 1/5 of school on my own. Granted I should be able to pay that off no problem on my Active Duty, but it still sucks that it would probably take 2 years of active pay (considering I still need to live) to pay that off. I know it's still a good opportunity obviously to only pay 1/5 of you schooling, but you still have to serve the same amount of time because it falls under the 4-year HPSP, so I will be serving 4 years still and have to pay back $50k in debt, which doesn't make sense financially when I could just take loans for schooling and pay them off at my own leisure. Obviously I don't want the Navy for just finances, but it throws a big wrench into the spokes of me trying to get on with everything.

Anyways, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm still really pissed by the fact that he hid that I had been professionally recommended over a month ago. I would have been on MEPS's asses to get my stuff done, and trust me it would have been done by now. Now I have to go to my doctor for NO reason and get some BS paperwork saying I'm in perfect health, which I am, and let them do whatever it is they have to do.

Good luck to you guys and your endeavors!

^Dang man I'd be so pissed too. My recruiter told me if you get commissioned in October-December that they would refund you the $ you had to take in loans to pay the first semester. This has been really confusing at times...

Yeah bro. MTB, you have every right to be f'in pissed off. And you are right... 1st/2nd years seem to be most expensive according to the tuition breakdown I saw at my school. It would really make me think twice to take the HPSP esp since my school is pretty darn expensive.

As for the backpay part... I'm not sure it works that way. I asked this same question in the "Ask a Navy Dentist" thread, and what they said was that you will need to take out loans but will NOT get reimbursed (stipend or tuition) for that first half-year. In other words, you take a 3.5yr HPSP and serve 4 years anyway. That was my interpretation, at least.

I'm not really sure who/what to believe anymore though :confused:. Found the posts (see them below).

I read somewhere that the new budget arrives in October. If we applied and got everything done now... can we be considered for a 4 year HPSP still?

No. If you are non-select this year and are wait listed, then they can consider you for the 3 yr scholarship that will begin after October. If they choose to, they may award people selected after October a 3.5 yrs scholarship - but that is not guaranteed and you should not expect it - but it has happened in the past.

Perhaps in the other branches of the military, as I stated earlier - The Navy has already filled ALL of its 4 year scholarships for classes beginning 2012 and will not be offering any 3.5, 3, 2.5, etc scholarships. In the past they were only offering the 3.5, 3, etc scholarships because they still had money left over from unfilled 4 year scholarships. Since they have filled all 4 year scholarships there is no money left for contracts of lesser service. This is directly from BUMED.

Last edited:
Yeah I think that last post was probably the most accurate. I'm at my state school and it still isn't cheap. I guess I'm going to wait it out and see if my recruiter ever contacts me again lol.

I would still probably take the 3yr scholarship if offered one though and try to do a 2yr AEGD or something. Anyways, definitely not going to put my eggs in one basket ever again.

Just notified that I received 4 year HPSP!!!

I was told that there are still spots available.

Ya, as far as I have read and heard, they do not reimburse you for that lost time, and my recruiter echoed this by saying I just need to take the loans for that first semester/quarters.

He mentioned the October-November thing as if that is when you commission, but he also just kept reiterating that you receive payments once you do indeed commission. SO it may be like krmower said where you won't get the 3.5yr and only the 3.0yr HPSP. If it is just the money left over, then I assume there won't be too many spots available for that October-December timeline.

Best of luck to you all! Still trying to get over my recruiter, but mostly freaking MEPS taking FOREVER!!!

DrTank, you're taking HPSP at UCLA? if you were gonna be on hpsp regardless should've splurged on columbia, no?

Congrats man!! Did you submit and get processed during the March Boards??

If so, I guess we will all be hearing news soon :D

So I am more than a little pissed off, my recruiter called me and said they want me to come in and get measured (like height weight stuff). I already made weight at my MEPS physical and it shouldn't be a real big issue, but I have to drive 1.5 hours one way to have someone who is "qualified" measure me. What is the point of having the height and weight standards if they just ignore them...so stupid. So tomorrow I get to travel 3 hours to spend 5 minutes getting taped. With my luck, they will disqualify me based on the tape even though I already made weight!:thumbdown:

Dang NAT, I'm feelin' for you bro. Sucks to be pushed around like that. I think if anyone deserves a 4 year, it's gotta be you... esp with all that BS they're making you jump through. Here's to hoping :xf:

Last edited:
So I am more than a little pissed off, my recruiter called me and said they want me to come in and get measured (like height weight stuff). I already made weight at my MEPS physical and it shouldn't be a real big issue, but I have to drive 1.5 hours one way to have someone who is "qualified" measure me. What is the point of having the height and weight standards if they just ignore them...so stupid. So tomorrow I get to travel 3 hours to spend 5 minutes getting taped. With my luck, they will disqualify me based on the tape even though I already made weight!:thumbdown:

...that's gotta mean that you're going to be selected though, right? I mean why would they bother with official re-measurements if you were going to get cut. I think you're in good shape, pal.

DrTank, you're taking HPSP at UCLA? if you were gonna be on hpsp regardless should've splurged on columbia, no?

I honestly wasn't sure whether or not I would receive the HPSP so I initially based my decision off of cost. UCLA was slightly cheaper to attend (Columbia offered me a nice little scholarship).

I have already declined Columbia so I am kinda stuck with UCLA. But I am stoked to go to UCLA. The weather is great, ill be close to family, there's cool beaches, hollywood/santa monica is close by, and the girls are smoking hot.

During my interview at Columbia, the students looked unhappy and the weather sucked. But the city was awesome. Also you cant really beat so cal chicks. I may have liked NYC but I guess ill never know.

Congrats man!! Did you submit and get processed during the March Boards??

If so, I guess we will all be hearing news soon :D

Honestly.. Im not sure when my app was reviewed. I am thinking late March or early April.

...that's gotta mean that you're going to be selected though, right? I mean why would they bother with official re-measurements if you were going to get cut. I think you're in good shape, pal.

Thanks for the encouragement, I hope you're right lol. Either way i'll keep you all posted. Hope you all get it too! I think the fact you haven't been rejected means you're more than likely in a good position as well.

Honestly.. Im not sure when my app was reviewed. I am thinking late March or early April.

dang man.. congrats. i went to have my app review for the april board. it kinda blows because i wasn't offered the 4 year hpsp. they said that all scholarships were given out - they are now at a "full". my recruiter told me that my application will be reviewed in oct. from there.. if i get granted i would prob get the 3.5 yr scholarship which payments will be distrubuted starting January of 2012 (during my first yr of dental school). kinda blows because im probably gonna get the 20k scholarship so basically serving 4 year n still only getting the 3.5yr pay. what are ur views based on this? i want to specialize. do u think i will get the 3.5 yr scholarship in oct?

sucks man =[ usc is hella expensive!

what are ur views based on this? i want to specialize. do u think i will get the 3.5 yr scholarship in oct?

Hey Beach, did you apply to the Navy and Army too?

And from all the threads and from what people are saying, we just need to sit back and see how it all plays out. A lot of people said there were no Navy 4 year HPSPs left and applying would be futile. DrTank said he was likely seen in the March/April boards (like the rest of us) and received a 4 year HPSP; he does have some crazy-arse stats though if you check out his predents profile. Regardless, it gives us a glimmer of hope :thumbup:

Anyway, a 3.5 is better than nothing is my mindset at the moment.