Anybody from Kenya, please advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRowing81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am going to Kenya in about a week with my fiancee. We are both 4th year medical students. We are going to be working at Kaimosi hospital outside Kisumu. Anyone have any info on the hospital, the area, the country? Important things we should know regarding travel, money, safety, or anything you might want to give me advice on. You can drop me a private message if you like. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. Welcome to Kenya! [I signed up at SDN just so I could answer your query!] I work in a government hospital in Mombasa. While I haven't specifically heard the hosp. you mentioned, I'm sure things wouldn't be any different from what they are where I work. There are a couple of conditions that about 80% of patients will be suffering. Things like TB, HIV/AIDS are very commom. In Peds, you will see a lot of Malaria[it's endemic here], TB, Meningitis, Pneumonia. You can probably bring along a clinical handbook for referance. It's crazy to lug around those bricks called medical textbooks.

As for your health, you need to be on Chemoprophylaxis for Malaria. Do check up on the vaccination requirements, I'm afraid I have no info on that. Come with hand disinfectant. If you have enough luggage allowance, bring along gloves, just to be safe, but most of the time, they should be available in the wards. Only bring light cotton clothes preferably in pastel shades[you will curse yourself if you find your clothes too heavy/warm, or worse fall sick in this heat] And, oh, don't forget the deo!:p

Any other questions you have, do feel free to ask. Have a great trip!

Hi there. Welcome to Kenya! [I signed up at SDN just so I could answer your query!] I work in a government hospital in Mombasa. While I haven't specifically heard the hosp. you mentioned, I'm sure things wouldn't be any different from what they are where I work. There are a couple of conditions that about 80% of patients will be suffering. Things like TB, HIV/AIDS are very commom. In Peds, you will see a lot of Malaria[it's endemic here], TB, Meningitis, Pneumonia. You can probably bring along a clinical handbook for referance. It's crazy to lug around those bricks called medical textbooks.

As for your health, you need to be on Chemoprophylaxis for Malaria. Do check up on the vaccination requirements, I'm afraid I have no info on that. Come with hand disinfectant. If you have enough luggage allowance, bring along gloves, just to be safe, but most of the time, they should be available in the wards. Only bring light cotton clothes preferably in pastel shades[you will curse yourself if you find your clothes too heavy/warm, or worse fall sick in this heat] And, oh, don't forget the deo!:p

Any other questions you have, do feel free to ask. Have a great trip!