Anybody ever switch into derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasping81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I have come to a point where I think that I need more clinical time than OR time, I am leaning towards a field now with some outpatient contact.

I was talking it over with a resident at my institution and came across derm path. Sounds more in line with something I would rather do than gas. However, derm being super-competitive and all. I was wondering if any programs out there have taken switch ins.

Please PM if you know of such programs. I'm in the midst of shadowing/getting glimpses of non-gas specialties. I hate re-exploring what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Sigh...

Members don't see this ad.

Since I have come to a point where I think that I need more clinical time than OR time, I am leaning towards a field now with some outpatient contact.

I was talking it over with a resident at my institution and came across derm path. Sounds more in line with something I would rather do than gas. However, derm being super-competitive and all. I was wondering if any programs out there have taken switch ins.

Please PM if you know of such programs. I'm in the midst of shadowing/getting glimpses of non-gas specialties. I hate re-exploring what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Sigh...
Some people do switch into derm from other residencies,but its rare and you would have to have connections and credentials that would make you competitive with all the other derm applicants.
Dermpath is a subspecialty of either derm or path and not really oriented to outpatient work.But if you do switch into a pathology residency try to go to a program that has a dermpath fellowship your chance of dermpath will be much greater.

OP, if you are asking if people change their minds and switch into derm, it can be done. I had a classmate that did his intern year as Med/Peds and then applied to derm (after he decided he didn't like Medicine). He was a stellar student with probably great boards. It can be done.

Members don't see this ad :)
To clarify, I mean that derm path is cool, but the derm part still gives face time with patients.

And I don't where I stand but here is my info:
Class rank - top 15% (my school doesn't give out individual numbers)
Step 1 - 240s
Step 2 - 230s (suprised to even get that with a raging fever in the last 3 sections)
Step 3 - TBA

To clarify, I mean that derm path is cool, but the derm part still gives face time with patients.

And I don't where I stand but here is my info:
Class rank - top 15% (my school doesn't give out individual numbers)
Step 1 - 240s
Step 2 - 230s (suprised to even get that with a raging fever in the last 3 sections)
Step 3 - TBA

You need to check out the dermboard http://dermatology.yuku.com/forums/1 a few weeks back UCI had 2 PGY 2 spots avialable starting july 2008. I think emory is still taking CV/applications for spots starting this july. Tufts and wayne state has PGY-2 spots available for starting 2009.

If you don't get in this year maybe a research fellowship would be in order, you could find those on the dermboard too or at DIGA http://www.derminterest.org/phpBB2/index.php