Anybody else disillusioned already?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It gets better. Really. :)

I know it sucks at times, but just try to remember what you liked about medicine that made you apply to med school in the first place.

it wasn't the discharge summaries / paperwork / looking out for that possible lawsuit, thats for sure :)

Members don't see this ad.

I get yelled at by fellows for both consulting them and not consulting them soon enough.

so true. i'm categorical IM intern as well. but beware that 2nd/3rd year isn't much better: more responsibility and more patients. we will get chewed out by attendings now if we fail to d/c a patient home on time or something happens to their patients. i really dont see things getting all that much better :thumbdown:

it wasn't the discharge summaries / paperwork / looking out for that possible lawsuit, thats for sure :)

"Return IMMEDIATELY to the Emergency Room for any of the following:
- Fever >100.4F
- Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting
- redness, tenderness, swelling, or drainage from your surgical site
- vague feelings of unease, anxiety
- stubbed toe
- you experience the sensation of floating in a pool when you are not in a pool
- you smell garlic in the air
- you are the victim of a nuclear attack
- dogs look at you funny
- you are unable to console a crying baby
- any other concerning event even if not specifically mentioned above"

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate OR turn over.... Can life be any more inefficient around ORs? Really? Please feel free to add more bureaucratic rules with no clinical evidence.. How about we all blindfold ourselves when xray machines walk in... that way our eyes are safe.. ya know. (crappy day:bullcrap:)

I'm disillusioned by the total lack of respect patients have for docs in the hospital.

I was taking a second look at a program that offered me a prematch 1 week ago. An inpatient asked a 3rd year resident to run and get him a coffee, and took orders from the rest of the family standing there - fully expecting the senior resident to just run and fill the order. I was tickled and shocked.

I always cringe when any of the following scenarios happens:

Me: "On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being almost no pain at all, and 10 being the worst pain you've ever felt in your life, what's your pain right now?"
Pt (sitting upright in bed, watching TV, eating a sandwich, talking on cell phone): "10!"

:laugh:

I've had this happen so many times I've lost count.