Any way to see insurance reimbursements locally?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquatic ape

Reaction score
Considering starting solo PP. anybody have any resorurves for seeing local reimbursement rates? I’ve read that companies like headway and amwell might be able to give quotes early on in the process of talking with them?

Mulling over cash vs insurance, and hoping to have some numbers to help

Members don't see this ad.

If you schedule a call with Headway or Alma they will show you their rates during that call which will give you some idea about local rates

Reactions: 1 user
Considering starting solo PP. anybody have any resorurves for seeing local reimbursement rates? I’ve read that companies like headway and amwell might be able to give quotes early on in the process of talking with them?

Mulling over cash vs insurance, and hoping to have some numbers to help

Reach out to anyone you know in private practice in your area. They should be able to give you at least a rough idea if they are getting more than Medicare, less than, etc. Then you look up the local medicare rates which is public information and calculate a range of reasonable assumptions from there.

As far as setting rates for cash look at others' websites or call people up as if making an appointment to ask what the private pay rate is.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
what region are you looking?

I've noticed that where I am there's such an absurdly wide spread of cash rates that it hasn't been helpful looking at what others charge. Anywhere from $200 to $2000 per hour here. People seem to just choose their own rate and I haven't seen a rhyme or reason for why one person should charge a particular rate, just what people claim they are worth and what other people pay them.

Reactions: 1 user
Coastal mid Atlantic. Cash rates seem to be anywhere between $150-300/ hour, but little rhyme or reason. Older established psychiatrists who are well respected have lower rates and seem to not have raised them. Tele NPs have some of the higher rates and flashier websites. Definitely not the higher end of cash rates that I’ve seen in more metropolitan areas. Which makes me wonder if insurance is the way to go, instead of trying to price at the top of the market

If you schedule a call with Headway or Alma they will show you their rates during that call which will give you some idea about local rates
Thanks, wasn’t sure if they were that forthcoming or if they would want me to be further a long in the process before disclosing

Coastal mid Atlantic. Cash rates seem to be anywhere between $150-300/ hour, but little rhyme or reason. Older established psychiatrists who are well respected have lower rates and seem to not have raised them. Tele NPs have some of the higher rates and flashier websites. Definitely not the higher end of cash rates that I’ve seen in more metropolitan areas. Which makes me wonder if insurance is the way to go, instead of trying to price at the top of the market
Even if you take just medicare, you can assume (before expenses, collection/show rate, etc.) that you will be billing around $200 (90792 or 99205 once per hour) to around $400 (two encounters of 99214+90833) per hour.

That's why I decided, if I ever go PP, it would either be insurance (rates >= Medicare) or cash rate of around $350.

Reactions: 1 users
We're in the same market area (coastal Mid-Atlantic), but maybe different cities. The rates in this city for cash are as we both said above. I charge $350/hour for therapy, $200 for a 30-minute follow-up, and $400-500 for an intake, whether for 90 or 120 minutes. I am constantly told I'm severely undercharging by my patients.

For the one insurance I accept, these are approximate the rates:

99213: $90
99214: $120
99215: $165
90833: $80
90836: $100
90838: $130
90792: $188
99204: $131
99205: $173

Last edited:
  • Love