Any value on brushing up on basics before July 1 as an intern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgDoc95

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question is in the title. I'm starting at a new general surgery program in a very large hospital as it's first class of residents and feel that I ought to brush up on some basics before I start since I have no real senior residents. We're doing ATLS before July 1 so I've read through the book and listened to quite a few Behind the Knife podcasts, but would appreciate some advice from yall seasoned surgeons. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What basics are you specifically asking about? Are mid-levels running the surgery services currently? I'm always interested in how new residency programs start and incorporate residents into the existing working paradigm.

Good luck to you and your fellow interns though. It's not gonna be easy as the starting group without a full compliment of residents. But you've got a unique opportunity to help shape the program. Hopefully it gets easier with time as more residents come on board and you work out the growing pains of a new program.

What basics are you specifically asking about? Are mid-levels running the surgery services currently? I'm always interested in how new residency programs start and incorporate residents into the existing working paradigm.

Good luck to you and your fellow interns though. It's not gonna be easy as the starting group without a full compliment of residents. But you've got a unique opportunity to help shape the program. Hopefully it gets easier with time as more residents come on board and you work out the growing pains of a new program.
From what I understand yes. We're going to be splitting the patient load with the NP/PA on whatever service for rounds, but we supposedly have a greater emphasis on getting into the OR this first year as they incorporate us into the services. Starting off in the SICU so trial by fire here I come! Ordered the ICU book you suggested in the other thread and was planning on going through the crit care and fluid/electrolytes sections in the Fiser absite review. Think that will be a good start the next 13ish days?

Thank you! We're working toward level 1 trauma status so the program brought in a few 3s/4s but there are so few of us we rarely overlap in rotations this first year. Lots of hands on which is what I wanted, with the obvious challenges of being a new program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are already doing enough. Any more is too much tbh.

Have fun friend. I’m starting my first attending job as core faculty for a new program that begins a year after I do. Pretty exciting. Can’t wait.

Reactions: 2 users
Just give some thought to common things you'll manage. Pain, fluids, electrolytes, shortness of breath, a fib, etc. Don't over do it. We mostly learn by doing. And despite what your ego may tell you - don't hesitate to ask the mid levels. They literally do the exact service every single day. They have a ton more practical knowledge than you do- no shame in asking.

Reactions: 2 users