Any UoP / Pacific HPSP recipients out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teeth63a

Dharma Dentist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how you guys are now handling the 45 day ADT requirement during school, since you have no summers. Is it still waived (as it was before) or do you just get credit for it while being in school?

Members don't see this ad.

you will do it while attending school. there will be a 45-day period each year where you will get paid as if on active duty (for 45 days), instead of the normal stipend.

most schools don't have summer breaks between 2nd and 3rd year, or between 3rd and
4th year.

some do their 45-days as an externship at an army installation, so they get some type of credit at their school during that time. if you put in for this early enough, you can go somewhere cool (i went to hawaii for one of mine) on an externship.

it's pretty cool to spend 45 days, in hawaii, getting travel and lodging paid for, and getting paid as if on active duty, AND getting course credit for doing an externship :).

USC doesn't have a break either so you just don't go or do anything but you apply a waiver and you get paid 0-1 for 1.5 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to Pacific and it is just like Umk said. You go on your 45 days during your summer breaks and then once again during your third year.

I guess it differs by branch. I am a pacific student on the HPSP scholarship and I have been placed on my 45day ADT around Jan/Feb each year. No change in my schedule other than the nice extra cash.

THanks for all the info.

bnducd and jmick101-

I'm not sure how familiar you guys are with the army reserve retirement system yet, but getting credit for the 45 days AT/IDT is critical if you plan on making a career out of the army.

Technically, you are O1 reservists right now. Your time in dental school (3 years) will NOT count towardsyour time in service for your pay scale, but it CAN count as "good years" towards your retirement. However, in order in get the credit for a good year, you need to make at least 50 points that year.

YOu automatically get 15 points each year for being a reservist. If you do get retirement point credit for the 45 day AT (without having to report to a post or clinic) you'll already have 60 points for the year.

How does this benefit you? Now I'm not a retirement expert, but I believe that if you have three good years as a reservist, you only need 17 more years (active, reserve or combination of both) to make a good 20 years for retirement. Of course if you're looking to get out as soon as your obligation is over, then its not a problem.

This is only an issue for me now (nine years after graduation) since I'm looking to stay in the ARNG or reserves and I'm trying to dig up all the points I can.

I would appreciate it if you could PM me the civilian contact for the HPSP or the incentive officer in charge of the HPSP program to verify all this.

Hope this helps you in your planning. umkcdds looks like you're still active duty, let me know if I'm wrong on any of this.

I'm highly considering UoP presently because of my age, an extra year out of school would be great. I'm not too sure I understand how UoP works in relation to this summer/breaks stuff. You get summer breaks every summer then? Or you don't get summer breaks? And between bnducd and jmick, am I to understand that one of you had to do the ADT thing during a summer break(s), but the other didn't have to do anything, and instead waived the ADT thing and had it count during regular school time and still got summers off?

I hope my question isn't confusing in itself, thanks! (Oh, and I am very strongly considering a military scholarship)

And between bnducd and jmick, am I to understand that one of you had to do the ADT thing during a summer break(s), but the other didn't have to do anything, and instead waived the ADT thing and had it count during regular school time and still got summers off?

Yeah I just picked up on jmick's comment...so you actually did do a 45 day ADT?

I just spoke to my two friends who were HPSP along with me (class of 01) and none of us remember signing anything waiving us of the duty, we just went to school and collected the checks.

Sorry guys, didnt mean for that to be confusing. I am AF HPSP and I have NOT had to sign anything or fill out a waiver, I just simply stay at school and recieve a check for 45days AD as an O1. My comment before was in regards to the timing of these checks. The last two years I have been paid around Jan/Feb whereas Jmick is paid in summer time.

Yeah I just picked up on jmick's comment...so you actually did do a 45 day ADT?

I just spoke to my two friends who were HPSP along with me (class of 01) and none of us remember signing anything waiving us of the duty, we just went to school and collected the checks.

Sort of. We just do our ADT at school, I mean, that is our duty station. We have school officials sign off on it, and that is that. I guess that I made it sound like we actually do some real live Active Duty. We don't. All our duty is done at school. I hope this isn't too confusing.

Sorry guys, didnt mean for that to be confusing. I am AF HPSP and I have NOT had to sign anything or fill out a waiver, I just simply stay at school and recieve a check for 45days AD as an O1. My comment before was in regards to the timing of these checks. The last two years I have been paid around Jan/Feb whereas Jmick is paid in summer time.

with the Army, you can go into MODS and select the time that you want this ADT to time place at your school. i think the default time period is at the end of the year, but you can change it in MODS.

I'm a uop class of 2007 in the Army. UOP doesn't send you on the ADT because the breaks are too short. Its kind of a shame though, I think it would be useful to go and see what the one and two year programs are all about seeing as how you have to apply for it. It would be nice to know if its worth accepting. My two cents is that the one year is a good deal.