Any tricks to get off the waiting list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azcomhopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice. How often should we call to receive an update on our rank on the waiting list? I have been calling every 2 weeks. But upon my most recent inquiry, I called immediately a week later(last Friday) and was immediately (and obviously voicemailed). I called again and was voicemailed again. Now, I'm scared that I called too much. Should I wait two more weeks? I don't want to give a bad impression but I can't lie. I was some type of answer/closure. Two weeks ago, I was 16th on the waitlist and I was hoping to hear good news by now?

Members don't see this ad.

Instead of being patient and waiting for a decision, you were just downright annoying to the folks in charge of your future. What did you think was going to happen? Did you think they might say, "Gee, he's been calling a lot. He must really want to get into med school. Let's bump him up on the waitlist ahead of those applicants who displayed their indifference by not calling us every half hour." It's pretty simple, really. When you are admitted, they will let you know. ou are correct in assuming that the fact that they are now transferring you directly to voicemail means that they hate you. You blew it.

BlueFalcon said:
Instead of being patient and waiting for a decision, you were just downright annoying to the folks in charge of your future. What did you think was going to happen? Did you think they might say, "Gee, he's been calling a lot. He must really want to get into med school. Let's bump him up on the waitlist ahead of those applicants who displayed their indifference by not calling us every half hour." It's pretty simple, really. When you are admitted, they will let you know. ou are correct in assuming that the fact that they are now transferring you directly to voicemail means that they hate you. You blew it.

wow, that was harsh...

Members don't see this ad :)
azcomhopeful said:
I need some advice. How often should we call to receive an update on our rank on the waiting list? I have been calling every 2 weeks. But upon my most recent inquiry, I called immediately a week later(last Friday) and was immediately (and obviously voicemailed). I called again and was voicemailed again. Now, I'm scared that I called too much. Should I wait two more weeks? I don't want to give a bad impression but I can't lie. I was some type of answer/closure. Two weeks ago, I was 16th on the waitlist and I was hoping to hear good news by now?

Actually, every 2 weeks is not a big deal at all. At most schools. If you're dealing with miserable adcom people then it could be a problem, I guess, but there are plenty of schools that would actually want you to call every 2 weeks.

Another thing, though. If you were 16th on the waitlist about 10 days into July, you're looking at a really, really, really long shot of getting in. Sorry to tell you. Good luck, though.

BlueFalcon said:

So let's apply your logic for a second. The candidate that is patient and never calls is leaving a good impression because he is being really polite? What world do you live in? Polite people never get anywhere in life particularly in clinicals where the agressive talkers are the ones who get honors. The ones who call and show interest are going to be remembered. And what's the worst that the candidate is conveying; that he is eager to start medical schoo. Sounds like a crime to me! Yeah, I would consider that a personal insult if I were the adcom: How dare he show interest in my school!

But I agree that there is a fine line between being annoying versus showing interest. They aren't calling you back because they probably don't know anything yet. Don't call for 2 weeks and just hang tight. When you speak to the adcom; be a little self deprecating and apologetic and admit you got a little carried away but that it was difficult due to your enthusiasm. Trust me, the people who get in off waitlists are the ones who are persistant in calling. Don't listen to the troll above

azcomdiddy said:
So let's apply your logic for a second. The candidate that is patient and never calls is leaving a good impression because he is being really polite? What world do you live in? Polite people never get anywhere in life particularly in clinicals where the agressive talkers are the ones who get honors. The ones who call and show interest are going to be remembered. And what's the worst that the candidate is conveying; that he is eager to start medical schoo. Sounds like a crime to me! Yeah, I would consider that a personal insult if I were the adcom: How dare he show interest in my school!

But I agree that there is a fine line between being annoying versus showing interest. They aren't calling you back because they probably don't know anything yet. Don't call for 2 weeks and just hang tight. When you speak to the adcom; be a little self deprecating and apologetic and admit you got a little carried away but that it was difficult due to your enthusiasm. Trust me, the people who get in off waitlists are the ones who are persistant in calling. Don't listen to the troll above
Yeah, you're so right. Calling the secretary who works in the admissions office can really get you moving on the list.

The secretary has no power. Go call the dean of admissions and that will get you somewhere.

BlueFalcon said:
Yeah, you're so right. Calling the secretary who works in the admissions office can really get you moving on the list.

Where did I mention the word secretary; oh I didn't. It's called attention to detail or lack thereof. I'm sure these students are a little more savy than you and would have gotten past the secretary by now.

azcomdiddy said:
Where did I mention the word secretary; oh I didn't. It's called attention to detail or lack thereof. I'm sure these students are a little more savy than you and would have gotten past the secretary by now.
If you're sure, it must be true. I'm sure they're talking to the Dean on a regular basis. After all he/she has nothing better to do than tend the anxieties of such savvy pre-meds.

BlueFalcon said:
If you're sure, it must be true. I'm sure they're talking to the Dean on a regular basis. After all he/she has nothing better to do than tend the anxieties of such savvy pre-meds.

No, you are right. Why would waitlisted applicants bother to ask for the Dean of Admissions. They only met the dean in person during their INTERVIEW at which the Dean handed them cards with their contact information, and were told to call him or her should they have any questions. Naah, I'm sure these applicants just ignored all of that and just blindly spoke to the first person who answered the phone without requesting or knowing anyone else in an office they interviewed at just months earlier. Why would a dean tend to the anxieties of applicants who are close to being admitted to the school. That's not in their job description. After all, the Dean of Admission is too busy teaching classes to be bothered with merely admitting students to the school. Yeah, what was I thinking. :thumbup:

BlueFalcon said:

Um...I have been talking to the director of admissions. If I wanted to talk to the secretary, I would have talked to the person who answered the phone. This is sort of implied when I kept referring to being voicemailed. The secretary sent me to the director of admission's voice mail when I would call.

azcomhopeful said:
Um...I have been talking to the director of admissions. If I wanted to talk to the secretary, I would have talked to the person who answered the phone. This is sort of implied when I kept referring to being voicemailed. The secretary sent me to the director of admission's voice mail when I would call.
Directors of admissions are typically nothing more than glorified secretaries who have no input into, ironically enough, admissions. They're paid to send out the letters and handle the incessant calls from knuckleheads like you.

BlueFalcon said:

I think everyone's getting a wee bit harsh. I was on the waitlist for a while and was told the following: WRITE LETTERS! Calling is easy, writing a letter conveys that you are taking the time to convey your interest. Give them an update, regardless of how insignificant it is. Do this every 2 weeks until you get in or you get a decision. I spoke with the Dean of Admissions about this at my school and they said it definitely works. She said that every time you write a letter, it forces them to open up your application and look at you again. This strategy worked for me and about 10 other people at my school.

But I disagree about sitting back and waiting for them to come to you. If I was on an admissions committee, I'd want to admit a kid that was dying to go to my school. Now, as previous posters have mentioned, you have to balance this with those students that are just downright weird. But I guess that's the reason for the interview.

So don't give up, just change tactics. Good luck :luck: :luck: :luck:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
BlueFalcon said:
Directors of admissions are typically nothing more than glorified secretaries who have no input into, ironically enough, admissions. They're paid to send out the letters and handle the incessant calls from knuckleheads like you.

Oh, so they are all secretaries now? According to you, they have more "important" things to do other than handling incessant calls but now they are nothing more than "glorified secretaries." What happened to that stance? Rather than being silent or admitting you were wrong, you just made yourself look like an even bigger idiot than you already are. Gotta love the backtracking!

Directors of admissions have far less input than the committee but at this stage in the game, they could very well bump students they favor or call them if a seat opens up the day classes start. It happens every year. The last minute admits are usually at the hand of the director of admissions.

I was waitlisted at NSU since Jan 05. I e-mailed my enthusiaism and was encouraged to keep in contact. I was thanked each and everytime for my interest. I was told by the chair thant I was welcome to submit anything I thought would be helpful. I submitted an additional rec after the April 1 deposit deadline. I was thanked and told to check back after the second deposits were due June 1. I di and received a terse e-mail that if my status changed, I would be contacted. I just called last week and orientation starts Monday. I was told you never know but no guarantees.

I was going to e-mail Friday morning but decided to be an adult and not self-depricate myself anymore.

Bottom line, they know who you are and how to contact you.

WAKE UP! IT'S OVER. I applied immediately to schools in the caribbean and will be attending Jan 05. I don't mean to be harsh but to be at someone's whim sucks!
I

powerdog said:
WAKE UP! IT'S OVER. I applied immediately to schools in the caribbean and will be attending Jan 05. I don't mean to be harsh but to be at someone's whim sucks!
I

I don't think you are being any more of an adult by settling on a foreign medical school. I would advise reapplying to a U.S. M.D or D.O. school before going to the Carribean. I know you are disappointed and just want to start but you should take some time to calm down and rethink your decision. It sounds like you are settling because you are angry with the process. Decisions shouldn't be made in anger. After all, this is only your life. You will not finish significantly faster going overseas because of the match so you aren't saving much time by going to Ross or wherever. Something to think about.

Call the admissions office and ask to speak to the Dean. Ask the Dean your stance on the waitlist, your chances of getting in, and what could you do to improve your chance.
He might give you some clues as to what you can do (i.e. write letters, etc.)
I was a little hesitant to do so, but finally did. I was told I was on the third part of the waitlist (out of about 300 people!). The Dean said "One time a girl wrote me so much, I just had to accept her to get her to stop." I then explained to him that I will write him every day!
I did so (about two weeks ago) and I called this past Thursday to see if he had been getting my letters and he told me that my creativity has brought me to the top of the out-of-state list. I will be the next person accepted if someone drops! I couldn't believe I went from 253 to number 1.
I have two weeks till classes start!!! Pray for me!
It just goes to show you...take initiative and show LOTS of interest.
Good luck!

powerdog said:
I

WAKE UP! I just got in. And BlueFalcon, I guess you really don't what you are talking about.

To the others, thank you so much for the encouragement. You guys are the best!

Congrats, this thread is now very funny b/c of you are accepted and you were told to forget it and you were annoying. Shows all of us to take the things that are posted with a grain of salt.

azcomhopeful said:
WAKE UP! I just got in. And BlueFalcon, I guess you really don't what you are talking about.

Congrats! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

this is an awesome thread :laugh:

azcomhopeful -----------> :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

haha, this is hilarious....

azcomhopeful I wish you the best of luck...

Once again, thank you guys for the well wishes. I really wasn't expecting people out of the blue for the congratulations. You guys are making this day extra special for me. You guys are the best. :)

You're an inpiration to us all, azcomhopeful! I'm so proud of you! I've been annoying the two schools to which I'm waitlisted....to no avail yet, but I have a good two weeks to go. Good luck to you, and pls. send some good vibes our way!

BH

azcomdiddy said:

something tells me that bluefalcon was just being sarcastic

I emailed the dean every three or four weeks, and in the last email I let her know that even though the odds were slim of me getting off the waitlist, I was interested till the very end. Well....she called me two days before classes started and offered me a spot. She also told me that there is always alot of movement the last week before classes start, which really surprised me because I thought that if I didn't hear from them after June, that my chances were pretty slim. Never lose hope and keeping in contact is a good thing. :)

Oh, and congrats azcom. I know how excited you must be feeling right now.

Reactions: 1 user
azcomhopeful said:

CONGRATULATIONS, azcomhopeful!!!!!!!!!!!! I was about to write to keep writing in updates to the committee (I used to send one in once a month) - that's what I think helped me get off the waitlist 2 weeks before orientation!

But now I don't have to write any advice to you b/c YOU'RE IN!!!!!
When things get tough during the years ahead, I know that I'll think back to the day that I got THE CALL and remember experiencing a high that I never imagined.... CONGRATS and GOOD LUCK!

Awesome thread. congrats!!

KristenAnn said:
something tells me that bluefalcon was just being sarcastic

And something tells me you aren't very good at reading people.

Any other advice for getting off waitlists? Someone told me that you could set up another interview/meeting with the dean if you were on the waitlist.

NRAI2001 said:
Any other advice for getting off waitlists? Someone told me that you could set up another interview/meeting with the dean if you were on the waitlist.

Great idea, this actually worked for me. I called the Dean's home phone number and set up a meeting with him. He was so suprised at my persistance that he set up a meeting later in the week and I was accepted! Give it a shot, what harm could it do?

Wow, you never know-it couldn't hurt. Personally my ego was so fragile after rejectance (just made that word up) that it took me a month or two to call the dean and ask him why.

Reactions: 1 user