Any Tips on Improving my Application for Round 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply early and broadly, other than that it looks like you have your bases covered.

When you say "broadly," do you mean a broad geographic area, or just more medical schools? I'm thinking of applying to at least 20.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you say "broadly," do you mean a broad geographic area, or just more medical schools? I'm thinking of applying to at least 20.

They probably meant to more schools and not just the Harvards and Yales of the world...

You have a nice application.
Your BCPM gpa may be a touch below average, but everything else is good.

Apply to a good number of well chosen schools.
Apply early. Like the first day you can.
Get the secondaries in ASAP.

Do this and you should get in to multiple schools.

If you want to apply to the Harvards of the world.
Go ahead, but don't count them in the 20+ schools you apply to that fit with your stats.

:luck:

Don't forget to get involved (or at least mention) non-health related extracurricular activities!

You have a nice application.
Your BCPM gpa may be a touch below average, but everything else is good.

Apply to a good number of well chosen schools.
Apply early. Like the first day you can.
Get the secondaries in ASAP.

Do this and you should get in to multiple schools.

If you want to apply to the Harvards of the world.
Go ahead, but don't count them in the 20+ schools you apply to that fit with your stats.

:luck:

3.56 or 3.66 is a touch below the average BCPM GPA?

Good advice with NOT including the reaches in the 20+ schools. Thanks.

Do you think a letter of recommendation from a physician I shadow and with whom I click would be good to include in the next app? I actually had no shadowing experience when I submitted it the first time.

Don't forget to get involved (or at least mention) non-health related extracurricular activities!

One hobby I have (and have had for a LONG time) is drawing.

I haven't been able to do it as much as I would've liked while in college because I was focused on academics and clinical activities, but this time off will give me some time for large projects (and I'm already well into one at this moment).

Think it'd be a good idea to print some of my finished works off and show them at interviews to convey what sort of time I put into it? Thanks..

Think it'd be a good idea to print some of my finished works off and show them at interviews to convey what sort of time I put into it? Thanks..
Um, NO. I have seen this done for lab science job interviews at career fairs. In short, the interviewers felt highly uneasy and dismissed the person who brought the junk. Your med interview is no different than being at a job fair (and probably easier, as you are interviewing for continuing education and not a real world position). Don't be the dork who has something w/ them (besides a water bottle, folder, and pen) and whips 'it' out during the interview. I have seen plenty of interviewees on my campus doing tours (and my campus is a top 20 university)...no one has anything in their hands besides their jacket if it's hot out.

Besides...doing this looks like you are desperate and cocky. Approach it from the situation of your interviewer or panel. If they appreciated people bringing junk w/ them, everyone and their mothers would be holding sculptures, paintings, certificates, etc. INSTEAD, talk about the items vividly ("oh, I wish I could have brought them, they are wonderful"). Some schools allow you to upload supplemental info...upload a pic of the thing.

The interview is a good place to be unique and show your strengths...but, remember your place. Med schools expect a bit of unsaid formality and similarity in how interviewees approach them. Perhaps being the one 'different' applicant may seem novel to you...I am sure plenty have tried it and the board has seen it many times. Again, you don't hear about success stories due to it. You def. would if it worked.

Last edited by a moderator: