any tips for a MSI interested in PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lfesiam

Regional Guy for Hire!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, I'm an MSI interested in PS as a possible PGY training. do you guys have any tips in preparing for PS residency? what should I do during my preclinical years and clinical years during medical school? avg USMLE scores? any advice will be greatly appreciated! thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Read the history of this forum to get plenty of discussions on Step 1/AOA.
2. Study VERY hard, because most of your class will also work hard - making it difficult to stand out. Study full time for 2 months for STEP 1. Make a 240 or better if you can. Dont cry if you dont, occasionally someone with a 230 gets in.
3. Between during first year, or between first and second year do research electives with someone known in the field at your school. If none is there who is known, do work with someone in another field who is fairly friendly, publishes alot, and lets students who work on papers put their names on them. Use PubMed to collect intel. Are they publishing this year? Has a previous student written a paper as first author? Thats a good sign. My chairman did research in cardiology during med school and went in to plastics. It only counts if you get published.
4. Make good grades.
5. Be nice and helpful to others at your medical school, even the people that dont seem to matter. A bad attitude is noticed, med school campuses are a small community.

Start now...make a lot of connections and kiss a lot of butt. Repeat daily.

Members don't see this ad :)
Harrie said:
Start now...make a lot of connections and kiss a lot of butt. Repeat daily.

For sone, this technique is effective. For most, it is transparent. Work hard be prepared, be a nice person, be interested and you will have a good chance of impressing people you work with.

Ergo said:
For sone, this technique is effective. For most, it is transparent. Work hard be prepared, be a nice person, be interested and you will have a good chance of impressing people you work with.

You haven't been through the match yet...I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this next year.

Come on now. Occasionally someone with a 230 gets in? A good portion of the people I know got into an integrated plastics program with a 230 or slightly better. While higher the better, above 220 will give you a shot. 230 puts you in good range.

I think plastics is strange in that a great board score does not afford an applicant ANY sense of security whatsoever, it will only not exclude from certain places screening processes. Many people matched with scores this year that people i know have better and are too gunshy to apply with while many outstanding scores/grades did not. Its rough.

Does the research you do have to be in the residency field you want to go into, or does it just need to be research. I want to go into PRS, and i have done research and been published for the two years prior to med school. The summer after my M1 would it be better to continue in the research lab i have been involved in, or try to find something more surgically related?