Any takers on UIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ol'Girl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Newbie here. :) Just wondering if anyone has decided to go to UIC yet? I'm likely going, and I thought i'd see if I could start meetin' some others in the next 9 months.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

all the way from cali? all the people in my class from california and out of state are pissed off. out of state tution is like ~40K/yr whereas instate is like ~20K/yr. congrats on getting in though, but if you can go somewhere instate i'd go there instead. :laugh:

hey....looks like it is very probable that i too will attend there. i'm instate.....and might choose it based on the fact that i dont want to pay out of state tuition elsewhere. i am gonna visit the chicago campus and meet some ppl...learn more about it before i choose for sure (i interviewed in peoria so didnt get to see chicago campus). if anyone has any opinions about the chicago campus it would be great to hear them.

Members don't see this ad :)
i didn't even get a 2ndary from uic.
they musta thought i was too overqualified. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Yep, all the way from Cali. However, I'm a born-n-raised Chi-town gal, and my family is still there. Out-of-state tuition is still cheaper than a lot of other private schools, though, yes?

imtiaz, applied to only two Cali schools, was rejected immediately. :) They just don't appreciate engineering GPAs, even with good MCATs. Bastages!

bolton, I interviewed and was accepted to the Chicago campus. The campus facilities seem pretty old and dungeon-like, and the neighborhood isn't great, but the students seemed happy enough. They're building/remodeling/adding or something to the UIC hospital, however, and it's supposed to be state-of-the-art. I'm just glad that they have underground hallways with which to escape the cold winters.

For some reason, I'm actually surprised they let me in!

I just interviewed at UIC a few weeks ago, so I'm still in limbo. But I wanted to say as a Chicagoan, that there are plenty of really cool neighborhoods not too far from UIC: Wicker Park/Bucktown, Ukranian Village, Printers Row, and the Gold Coast are all within a pretty reasonable distance, especially if you have a car.

Congrats on the acceptance.

I'd go if I got in. I have my interview tomorrow. I heard it's tough but not even close to the ones at UW.

Originally posted by asama527
I'd go if I got in. I have my interview tomorrow. I heard it's tough but not even close to the ones at UW.

good luck bro....

I currently attend UICCOM, PM me if you have any specific questions.

Originally posted by Ol'Girl
Newbie here. :) Just wondering if anyone has decided to go to UIC yet? I'm likely going, and I thought i'd see if I could start meetin' some others in the next 9 months.

Cheers!

Hey, I'm interviewing there this month. Any advice?

I'll let you know how mine goes tomorrow :p

I'll let you know how mine goes tomorrow :p

Thanks. By the way, at which campus will you interview? I'm going to be on the Chicago campus.

lyragrl -- Thanks for the info. I was born and raised in the 'burbs, so I don't know the UIC area that well.

asama, gschl1234 -- good luck on the interview! My interview was weeeeeeeiiiirddd, but not really hard. I really had the feeling that the interviewers didn't have a collective plan when interviewing me; they bickered and what not. It was bizarre!

ForceField -- thanks for the offer! I might just do that. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by gschl1234
Thanks. By the way, at which campus will you interview? I'm going to be on the Chicago campus.

I'm interviewing on the Chicago campus. Too expensive to fly into the other ones. Good luck to anyone interviewing at UIC!!

lyragrl -- Thanks for the info. I was born and raised in the 'burbs, so I don't know the UIC area that well.

asama, gschl1234 -- good luck on the interview! My interview was weeeeeeeiiiirddd, but not really hard. I really had the feeling that the interviewers didn't have a collective plan when interviewing me; they bickered and what not. It was bizarre!

What do you mean by weird? Just curious

My interview is on Tuesday so I too would appreciate any advice beyond the feedback page.

Also, how soon did you find out that you were accepted after the interview? Just curious.

Laurie

PS asama527, Thanks for the PM. We'll have to compare notes when this whole thing is finished.

asama -- Dagnabit. I wrote this whole detailed explanation out, and something pooped out and it's gone. Basically, I got into an argument (albeit a calm one) with one of the interviewers, had my answers attacked quite a bit, and listened to a diatribe about how UIC is an Ivy League school, just like Harvard and Yale. I doubt this is a standard UIC interview, though. At least I hope not.

Laurie, I interviewed mid-October, and the admin there said normally there is an admissions committee meeting in October, but this year their first meeting would be in November. So letters were sent out at the end of November. I think they try to make it a 2 week turnaround or so?

Good luck to both of you! I didn't get any difficult questions, but they asked me a great many questions and felt free to tell me they didn't like my particular answer. Bring a book or something; some people had to wait 2-3 hours for their interview in the afternoon session.

If your family lives in chicago, you'll get in-state tuition. I'm not sure if you have to apply for it or if you'll get it automatically, but you will get in-state tuition.

I'm interviewing on the Chicago campus. Too expensive to fly into the other ones. Good luck to anyone interviewing at UIC!!

Fly to Rockford or Peoria? I don't know of anyone who's done that. They're both driving distance from Chicago, albeit Peoria is a long drive.

bolton, I interviewed and was accepted to the Chicago campus. The campus facilities seem pretty old and dungeon-like, and the neighborhood isn't great, but the students seemed happy enough. They're building/remodeling/adding or something to the UIC hospital, however, and it's supposed to be state-of-the-art. I'm just glad that they have underground hallways with which to escape the cold winters.

The new building that's coming up is will be for research labs and offices, so if you're planning on doing that, you're in luck. It'll be ready in fall 2004.

I'm also very likely to attend UIC if I get in. I'll probably know pretty shortly.

Originally posted by gschl1234
Hey, I'm interviewing there this month. Any advice?

Don't sweat it at all. Reading over the interview feedback at SDN is more than enough preparation. It's a very laid-back interview, 3-on-1, for about 1/2 hour.

The 3 on 1 interview format made it really easy for the interviewers to rapid-fire the questions at you. None were particularly difficult but the whole experience keeps you on the edge of your seat. I am an out-of-stater so things might have been a little more stressful for me.

Have you heard anything yet?

I'm checking the status page every five minutes. I need to find something more constructive to occupy my time.

My status page changed to interview dates not yet scheduled.
Does this mean I'm offered an interview? Does every in-state resident get an interview here? If you want to be in Chicago, is it best to interview in Chicago or would you have the same chance if you interviewed in Peoria? Any comments would be helpful.

Congrats. It does in fact mean that you have been invited for an interview. You have to call and schedule it now (you can't do it over the internet). To my knowledge, not all IL residents are invited. Where you interview has no bearing on which campus you will ultimately end up at. The only factor affecting whether or not you get your first-choice campus is WHEN you are accepted. When you get your acceptance letter, you list your preferences and the adcom matches you up according to what's available. Chicago campus fills up the fastest but you're still "mid-way" through the process. From what I understand the Chicago campus fills up around end of January. Good luck!

Originally posted by toomuch
My status page changed to interview dates not yet scheduled.
Does this mean I'm offered an interview? Does every in-state resident get an interview here? If you want to be in Chicago, is it best to interview in Chicago or would you have the same chance if you interviewed in Peoria? Any comments would be helpful.

Yes, you have an interview.

No all in-state residents don't get interviews.

Where you interview makes no difference. Interview as early as possible, wherever it is. What matters is how early you are interviewed and accepted, and how fast the Chicago campus fills up.

Originally posted by intoxicatedtiger
If your family lives in chicago, you'll get in-state tuition. I'm not sure if you have to apply for it or if you'll get it automatically, but you will get in-state tuition.

I've looked through the UIC catalog and it seems like i'll get in-state tuition only if my parents pay for my tuition or if I buy a place there sometime in the next 2 weeks (uh, not likely). I wonder when they'll let you know what resident status they've assigned to you.

UIC status page just updated. Anyone dare to post what's written on their status page? I think I've been rejected but I'm not sure.

Originally posted by femdoc
Have you heard anything yet?

Check your status page. It was updated a little while ago.

I've looked through the UIC catalog and it seems like i'll get in-state tuition only if my parents pay for my tuition or if I buy a place there sometime in the next 2 weeks (uh, not likely). I wonder when they'll let you know what resident status they've assigned to you.

Check out the residency FAQ:

http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency/res_faq.html

Question 13 says:
13. I have lived in Illinois all my life, but left the state to attend undergraduate school. I wish to return to Illinois for graduate school. Will I be a resident?

Residents of Illinois may temporarily leave the state and retain residency. However, you may be asked to show proof that Illinois is still your domicile. That could include showing that you voted in Illinois and filed taxes in Illinois. If your parents still live in Illinois, you will be considered a resident.

So your parents don't have to pay for your tuition. As long as your parents are living in illinois, you'll get it.

Here's the link to the petition for residency. If you call in to the admissions office, I think they'll let you know your residency status.

http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency.html

Originally posted by intoxicatedtiger
Check out the residency FAQ:

http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency/res_faq.html

Question 13 says:
13. I have lived in Illinois all my life, but left the state to attend undergraduate school. I wish to return to Illinois for graduate school. Will I be a resident?

Residents of Illinois may temporarily leave the state and retain residency. However, you may be asked to show proof that Illinois is still your domicile. That could include showing that you voted in Illinois and filed taxes in Illinois. If your parents still live in Illinois, you will be considered a resident.

So your parents don't have to pay for your tuition. As long as your parents are living in illinois, you'll get it.

Here's the link to the petition for residency. If you call in to the admissions office, I think they'll let you know your residency status.

http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency.html

Thanks for the info.. I'll check again. However, I didn't just leave IL for undergrad. I finished grad school and have been employed, living in CA, and a CA resident for several years now.