Any Syrians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deeyala

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering..
Since i a basically need some help on schools there

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I am Syrian but I study in Damas Uni... starting for my USMLE
now tell me about you... are you in my same Uni?

Hey I am Syrian but I study in Damas Uni... starting for my USMLE
now tell me about you... are you in my same Uni?

Hi there ..

Nope, I am an Egyptian dental student studying in Kasr el Aini :oops:

I am planning on doing electives in Syria, next year , inshaallah ..
So far, i am equally torn between the University of Aleppo and University of Damascus.

I checked both their websites and the Aleppo one seemed 1- more organized and 2- more welcoming to non-Syrians..

I have some questions about those two schools:

1)Which one would you recommend in dentistry?

2)I am under an impression all curricula are taught in Arabic. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to Arabic scientific terms- will that be a major set-back during my practice there?

3)Setting the educational material aside, would you recommend staying in Aleppo or Damascus? (city-wise, that is ) :D

4)Are there any dormitories available for foreign students in either University?

Thanks, Angilica.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there ..

Nope, I am an Egyptian dental student studying in Kasr el Aini :oops:

I am planning on doing electives in Syria, next year , inshaallah ..
So far, i am equally torn between the University of Aleppo and University of Damascus.

I checked both their websites and the Aleppo one seemed 1- more organized and 2- more welcoming to non-Syrians..

I have some questions about those two schools:

1)Which one would you recommend in dentistry?

2)I am under an impression all curricula are taught in Arabic. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to Arabic scientific terms- will that be a major set-back during my practice there?

3)Setting the educational material aside, would you recommend staying in Aleppo or Damascus? (city-wise, that is ) :D

4)Are there any dormitories available for foreign students in either University?

Thanks, Angilica.

welcome to syria!
I'm syrian too,I'm a medical student at the university of damascus..I would like to help
for :1-Damascus uni is a great uni,but to tell u the truth I don't know which one is the best.however,both of them are in the same level,cause as you know ,they are not private.,so I think they are the same ,therefor,you should look for other options to choose which one is better,like the city in general and...
2-don't worry for the medical terms ,we learn here in arabic,but we learn the medical terms in english too.don't worry at all.
3-I recommend damascus for this,cause I live in damascus.it's too easy to
buy medical stuff from there and it's next to the university <only 5 minutes>
4-I don't think that. you should ask for this. we have for our students,but it's like hell!!! I don't advice you to stay there.
I can help you to find some cheap places in damascus,there are many hotels and the range from 5$ to 30$ per day,besides the transportation is very easy and cheap less than 1$ per day for all your transportation and whereever you want.
if you have any other question ,just ask!

welcome to syria!
I'm syrian too,I'm a medical student at the university of damascus..I would like to help
Ezayek ya Zaid? :)
Thanks for the help.
About five years ago, i went on a 2-days trip to Syria and ever since i've been under the spell of your charm, guys :laugh:
Lovely country, lovely people, lovely places to visit

and THE FOOOOOOOOD!!!!!

In short, i'd do anything to go back there, so i thought i might use studying as an excuse.. :p

for :1-Damascus uni is a great uni,but to tell u the truth I don't know which one is the best.however,both of them are in the same level,cause as you know ,they are not private.,so I think they are the same ,therefor,you should look for other options to choose which one is better,like the city in general and...
Hmm
Would you recommend joining a private school,then?
Over here, public schools are much older than private ones and so have 1)a larger faculty and a diversity in professors, thus a larger pool of knowledge and 2)more patient flow .
Yet, public schools are starting to get a bit run-down and over-crowded..

IS this the same case as in Syria?

and if you compare between the two universities: which has more facilities? larger? bigger student body? working hours?

I am asking way too much questions :oops:

2-don't worry for the medical terms ,we learn here in arabic,but we learn the medical terms in english too.don't worry at all.
I was rather thinking i'd be the ones having problems, since i'd need people double-explaining everything to me..

3-I recommend damascus for this,cause I live in damascus.it's too easy to
buy medical stuff from there and it's next to the university <only 5 minutes>
good point
I almost forgot about that..
Would i need to buy my dental supplies, instruments...etc or does the school supply them?

4-I don't think that. you should ask for this. we have for our students,but it's like hell!!! I don't advice you to stay there.
I can help you to find some cheap places in damascus,there are many hotels and the range from 5$ to 30$ per day,besides the transportation is very easy and cheap less than 1$ per day for all your transportation and whereever you want.
if you have any other question ,just ask!
:smuggrin: :smuggrin:
I almost got myself trapped there.. he he he

I am too much of a wuss to live on my own :eek:

and with that kind of money, It already sounds like heaven.. :p

question: is it possible to rent a place near the university or is this area just way too crowded/ expensive ...etc to stay in

Now down to the more serious stuff.. :D

Where can i go in Damascus?
He he he

I live in noisy Egypt. and the thing i remember most about Syria is 1)you people are very quiet and 2) you people sleep way too early.. LOL

I am not into clubbing, but i am wondering when does the city go to sleep?
When does the shops close?..etc

Last question:
Summer or Winter? :)

And thanks, again- because i am practically being way too "inquisitive"

1-I don't recommend private schools,besides I don't think that you can do there.:p
it's almost the same,many patients and old and famous prof..
2-don't worry about it as I told u
3-I don't know if they will give you,mmm,I think you can bring your own stuff with you ,or you can buy it from there,as I told you ,it's too easy to get it from here.
4-near the university it's not that cheap,but it's a good place thought, Ithink the best for you to rent in any place you can find in downtown,it depends about your money too...for exampl,you can rent near the university "al maze street" but at least for 300$ to 500$" I'm not sure about the prices there...:D ,but I know other hotels and it's quite good and in the down town and you can pay about 300$ for month...if you want to come to syria,you need to go to many cultural places,even if you went to aleppo...I can show you around if I was in syria in that peroid of time ,just tell me when are you coming?..:) the shops close in the summer at 10.00pm but the city sleeps around 12.00 am.don't worry ,you still can find ppl in the streets till 1.00am :sleep:

when are you planing to come"year and.." to tell you the best time in syria,I don't like summer,it's too hot and I don't know ...but I don't like it,but there are some months in syria in the winter time which are very very calm,you should tell me too which one do u like ,noise or calm?
take care

1-I don't recommend private schools,besides I don't think that you can do there.:p
it's almost the same,many patients and old and famous prof..
2-don't worry about it as I told u
3-I don't know if they will give you,mmm,I think you can bring your own stuff with you ,or you can buy it from there,as I told you ,it's too easy to get it from here.
4-near the university it's not that cheap,but it's a good place thought, Ithink the best for you to rent in any place you can find in downtown,it depends about your money too...for exampl,you can rent near the university "al maze street" but at least for 300$ to 500$" I'm not sure about the prices there...:D ,but I know other hotels and it's quite good and in the down town and you can pay about 300$ for month...if you want to come to syria,you need to go to many cultural places,even if you went to aleppo...I can show you around if I was in syria in that peroid of time ,just tell me when are you coming?..:)
Yaaaaaaaaaaay! i've got myself a tour-guide
Thanks ya zaid, i'll certainly PM you once i make up my mind.

About the hotels for 300$ a month, would you recommend them for a girl- first time staying on her own? :oops:

when are you planing to come"year and.." to tell you the best time in syria,I don't like summer,it's too hot and I don't know ...but I don't like it,but there are some months in syria in the winter time which are very very calm,you should tell me too which one do u like ,noise or calm?
take care

Hmmm...
I've been to Syria in August, and i remember the weather was quite nice.
(Because then Egypt is flippin hotel during that time of the year- i think you can boil eggs on the asphalt or something :laugh: )

I also remember it was quiet.

So i think what you guys consider "hot" and "crowded" over there in Syria , we perceive as "nice weather" and "quiet" LOL

I don't really care all that much about wether i'd stay there in summer and winter, the only thing i worry about is : how cold it is in winter..

Because around here, we consider anything as under 10 degrees as "freezing cold" and we don't even have much of those days HE HE HE

hint: It rained twice in here since the begining of winter..

So, i am scared i'd visit in Winter and wind up staying in bed for all my stay because i am freezing...! :D

well,coming to Syria in the winter is almost like your country :eek: ... anyway,I think the best time to visit syria is in the coming 3 months" feb,merch,april" or" October and november".. in this time the weather is supper nice,besides,you can travel to many places inside syria.
for the hotels of 300$ ...mmm..well,I think our country is too safe:scared: ,so you can stay in any place and no worries.however ,when you come you have many choises ,if you didn't like your place or your area ,you can just leave it ...it's too easy to find rooms in hotels even if you come in the last minute,but this is not during the summer..cause during the summer you can't find many places and change your mind many times...remmeber 10$ per day in syria "without the hotel" is more than enough to spend your time..:laugh:
there is osmething else;you can rent a small house near the uni,and you can find for 500 $ near it! and it's better for a girl ... what i think is:come to syria ,rent a room in some hotel,even in a expensive one"but safe" for few days till you find a small appatment near the uni...or ,you can just come and
rent in a hotel for few days,if you like it,stay in it...many choises...
this is some links:
www.oldamascus.com
www.souria.com
ask if you need something else...:laugh:
enjoy it...

hmmm
OK winter it is then.
I am thinking November or December.
And ofcourse i've already got myself a tour-guide LOL :laugh:

Thanks ,Zaid.
I'll certainly send you a message if i have more questions.
You've been wonderful :love:

hmmm
OK winter it is then.
I am thinking November or December.
And ofcourse i've already got myself a tour-guide LOL :laugh:

Thanks ,Zaid.
I'll certainly send you a message if i have more questions.
You've been wonderful :love:

walao,you 're welcome at any time...
best of luck :)
salam

Hey guys!
My name is Arwa, I'm a medical student from Sweden. In February I'm planning to go to Damascus for 6 months to study arabic at Dam.university.

My question to you guys is if you know anyone who has an extra room for rent-out in Damascus. Preferably a girl.
Either for just a few days in the beginning of February, or for up to 6months.

Please reply on this forum if you do.
Thank's in advance
Arwa:luck:

hey guys...... ur awesome........
i am a 6th year student in the faculty of medicine Alexandria Egypt

i just wanted to thank zaid for being so helpful :)

also (seriously) plz deeyala send my regards to ur family that are supporting u
i amdire them sooooooooooooooooo much

and i would seriously love to visit syria ....... u seem too warm, hospitable and gentle...........

wish i could be of help one day to u guys:luck:
:luck:best of luck INSHALLAH :luck:

Hello guys,
I'm a medical student from Aleppo, Syria. Studying in Aleppo univ.
If anyone wants any help from Aleppo plz don't histate to contact me.