Any suggestions on where to live in San Antonio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grayce79

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be coming to San Antonio in May and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to live.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what hospital you will be at and what price range you are looking at. There are nice places for all ranges of income here. I am on the northwest side of town and love it. Give me some more particulars and I may be able to tell you more! See you in May, I'm sure, since I live in the ED at WHMC and BAMC. I'll be the guy waking you up at 2 am in a few months. (I'm very nice when I call, don't worry!) Steve

grayce79 said:
I will be coming to San Antonio in May and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to live.

Like Steve said, depends on where you will be working. I live in the Stone Oak area, nice schools (if you have kids), nice place good house values. I work at BAMC and it is about 25 minutes in the morning and 30-45 in the evening depending on what time you leave. Worth it to have my kids go the the schools up here.

FYI: Buy in a good location. San Antonio was ranked as the hotest housing market in the country and is expected to increase by 15% by the end of 2007.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I will be working at both Wilford Hall and BAMC so I was looking for something that would be good for both of those. Price range - I'm not so sure about this. Maybe 150-200k?

I live on the Northwest side, in a good school system as well. I got a beautiful 4 bedroom 2.5 bath home in a gated community with a community pool and clubhouse for 190,000. The school system in my area is pretty good too, which was a factor as well, since I have elementary age kiddos. I live about 20 minutes or so from Willie, and 25-30 from BAMC. That assumes light traffic, and being residents we tend to spend most of our going to work time when most mortals are still snoozing. You will quickly find that traffic is anything but predictable in this town, There is mucho construction, and people down here drive like crazy people. (And 60% are uninsured- wait till you see your car insurance go up!) If you want to PM me , I can give you my # and you are welcome to call when you come house hunting and I can point out decent 'hoods on my side at least>) Hope this helps! BTW- Christmas day will be 75 degrees and sunny! If I didn't have to pull a 12 in the ED I would be out golfing! Summers are brutal, but winter is perfect! Merry Happy HannaKwanzamus!
Steve

Keep in mind when buying your house that they are converting the 281 north of 1604 and much of 1604 on the north side to toll roads. I wouldn't live in Stone Oak for that reason, especially since only people who came from DC think that traffic isn't bad up there. I live just inside the 1604 off the 281. Many residents also live out west by Sea World. There are plenty of great neighborhoods in the Northside and NE ISDs that are all 20-30 minutes to both hospitals, with a wide range of prices. Just try to allot yourself enough time house-hunting to see as many neighborhoods as possible.

bogatyr said:
Keep in mind when buying your house that they are converting the 281 north of 1604 and much of 1604 on the north side to toll roads. I wouldn't live in Stone Oak for that reason, especially since only people who came from DC think that traffic isn't bad up there. I live just inside the 1604 off the 281. Many residents also live out west by Sea World. There are plenty of great neighborhoods in the Northside and NE ISDs that are all 20-30 minutes to both hospitals, with a wide range of prices. Just try to allot yourself enough time house-hunting to see as many neighborhoods as possible.
Thanks bogatyr. I didn't realize they were going to be making those toll roads. That could really add up!

grayce79 said:
Thanks bogatyr. I didn't realize they were going to be making those toll roads. That could really add up!

Yeah, and we are really pissed off about it too. Oh well.... Compared to Houston, the traffic here is great! Even at 745 in the morning. BTW, I was out golfing on the 22nd and will be out tomorrow as well. (I love being on research!).

What is the housing allowance (with dependents) in San Antonio for the Air Force?

I'll be working mainly at WHMC and we really liked the Sea World area when I was doing my Sub-I a few months ago. We got a brand new 2400 sq ft 4 BR 3 Bath with community pool and parks for 185,000. It's an area called Westcreek that is pretty nice. It's about 11 miles (15 min) from Lackland.

benjiboy said:
I'll be working mainly at WHMC and we really liked the Sea World area when I was doing my Sub-I a few months ago. We got a brand new 2400 sq ft 4 BR 3 Bath with community pool and parks for 185,000. It's an area called Westcreek that is pretty nice. It's about 11 miles (15 min) from Lackland.

Thanks. I just looked online and they had quite a few for sale in that subdivision that I really like. Do you happen to know how far of a drive it would be to BAMC from Westcreek? I was in San Antonio yesterday looking at houses. It can be overwhelming because there is so much to choose from! I decided that I don't want to build a home or buy a brand new one. I'd rather be in a little bit older of a neighborhood so that I can have trees and everything! I also looked in Finesilver and thought that subdivision is very nice as well.
What lender did you go with?

grayce79 said:
Thanks. I just looked online and they had quite a few for sale in that subdivision that I really like. Do you happen to know how far of a drive it would be to BAMC from Westcreek? I was in San Antonio yesterday looking at houses. It can be overwhelming because there is so much to choose from! I decided that I don't want to build a home or buy a brand new one. I'd rather be in a little bit older of a neighborhood so that I can have trees and everything! I also looked in Finesilver and thought that subdivision is very nice as well.

I would suggest you contact Bank of America regarding their physician home loans, no closing costs, no down payment and no PMI. pretty sweet deal.

On your house, make sure that the house has a water softener, the water around here has a very high mineral levels and it will jack everything up, especially if it is in an older house.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Bank of America person in SA was pretty hard to get a hold of (other residents had this problem too). But I heard that you can actually do all the work with the Bank of America in whatever town you are in. I went with USAA, as they seemed to have good rates, but they made me put 10% down. You can also try World Savings or some of the other big banks in town, and you can put your name in Lending Tree to see what the most competitive rates are, but I was to scared to actually use any of those companies.

My friends that live by Sea World live inside the 1604 in the Westover area(Westcreek is outside 1604 I believe), and it takes them 25 minutes to get to BAMC. Not too many trees out that way, though, but some of the new developments are pretty good about keeping some trees.

Good luck, keep us apprised.

Try David Benson at Bank of America. He was a pleasure to work with, and speedy too. When we found our home, we needed to move our close date up a month and he go the whole package togeter in a day or 2. My real estate agent said he was among the best brokers he had worked with. He is out of North Carolina, but can make loans for all 50 states. (I came from Indiana). The deal is a sweet one. I got low rates, no PMI and 100% financing. His website is here A call to him would definitely be worth your time. Steve

USAF MD '05 said:
Try David Benson at Bank of America. He was a pleasure to work with, and speedy too. When we found our home, we needed to move our close date up a month and he go the whole package togeter in a day or 2. My real estate agent said he was among the best brokers he had worked with. He is out of North Carolina, but can make loans for all 50 states. (I came from Indiana). The deal is a sweet one. I got low rates, no PMI and 100% financing. His website is here A call to him would definitely be worth your time. Steve

Does anyone know when the official start date for residency in the military is? The match list said July 1, but my program director sent me a letter that said "see you in June". I'm sure there is some sort of orientation. Do you get paid for orientation and how long is it? The reason I am so interested is that for the Bank of America loan, you must start being paid within 60 days of closing. I have found a house that I want to bid on now. However, this may not be possible if I won't actually be starting until July 1.

If you go to the SAUSHEC website, it gives an "orientation" timeline for last year and the start date was 9 Jun 05. I would think it should be somewhere close to that date, but you could call the current resident or PD in your program to ask if that's the same as last year...

See you at Wilford Hall

USAFGMODOC said:
If you go to the SAUSHEC website, it gives an "orientation" timeline for last year and the start date was 9 Jun 05. I would think it should be somewhere close to that date, but you could call the current resident or PD in your program to ask if that's the same as last year...

See you at Wilford Hall

Thanks. I called and they don't have a date set in stone yet. They are estimating Jun 8 or Jun 9.

I closed on my house 15 June, and the first mortgage payment wasn't due until August some time. I lived in a hotel courtesy of TLA the first week of orientation. You will get paid from the day you report, but don't expect your first paycheck until near the end of July. You should meet all the income requirements for the bank, plus they should be used to dealing with military in SA.

bogatyr said:

As a native San Antonian and future resident at UTHSCSA (yes, I am jumping ship!) I can tell you not to worry too much about the toll road situation. Unless you (and the Army/AF) are planning to stay in SA for a follow on after residency you will most likely be gone before the toll booths are up and running. I spoke with my father about it (he owns a landscaping business and drives across the city daily), and his comment was that nothing had been officially decided and if it was it would take years to complete (it is a government contract after all).

We are buying a new construction house inside of 1604 off of Bandera Rd. Almost 2700 sq ft for 178k!!! Considering we are selling our 1770sq ft house built in 1950 for 220k (paid 108 five years ago) we can't believe how lucky we are!!! And now the SA market is supposed to take off! I may get out of medicine and go into real estate!

I used the Bank of America physician loan for my first house. It is a great deal, but the other poster was incorrect stating no closing costs. It is possible that they will roll them into the loan, but they aren't giving the loans away. Another nice thing about Bank of America is that you will be in the "Premier Banking" category which comes with some other perks.

What residency are you doing?

mildoc said:
As a native San Antonian and future resident at UTHSCSA (yes, I am jumping ship!) I can tell you not to worry too much about the toll road situation. Unless you (and the Army/AF) are planning to stay in SA for a follow on after residency you will most likely be gone before the toll booths are up and running. I spoke with my father about it (he owns a landscaping business and drives across the city daily), and his comment was that nothing had been officially decided and if it was it would take years to complete (it is a government contract after all).

We are buying a new construction house inside of 1604 off of Bandera Rd. Almost 2700 sq ft for 178k!!! Considering we are selling our 1770sq ft house built in 1950 for 220k (paid 108 five years ago) we can't believe how lucky we are!!! And now the SA market is supposed to take off! I may get out of medicine and go into real estate!

I used the Bank of America physician loan for my first house. It is a great deal, but the other poster was incorrect stating no closing costs. It is possible that they will roll them into the loan, but they aren't giving the loans away. Another nice thing about Bank of America is that you will be in the "Premier Banking" category which comes with some other perks.

What residency are you doing?

What subdivision are you going to be in living in?
I ended up going with Bank of America as well. It seems like an awesome deal. I got preapproved and put an offer in a house, but I don't think I will get it. (I put in an offer a bit lower than the selling price.) If I don't get it, I'm just going to take a break from looking at houses. I have plenty of time.

I will be starting a residency in ob/gyn.

Was anyone scared when they bought their first house? I'm shopping in the same price range as everyone else, but when they tell us what our house payments will be, I shudder! My apartment rent right now is only 580/month!

grayce79 said:

I went with Compass Bank. They offer a physician loan that seems indistinguishable from the BofA loan. The loan guy is named Drew Daniels and his phone number is 512-419-3435.

grayce79 said:
What subdivision are you going to be in living in?
I ended up going with Bank of America as well. It seems like an awesome deal. I got preapproved and put an offer in a house, but I don't think I will get it. (I put in an offer a bit lower than the selling price.) If I don't get it, I'm just going to take a break from looking at houses. I have plenty of time.

I will be starting a residency in ob/gyn.

Was anyone scared when they bought their first house? I'm shopping in the same price range as everyone else, but when they tell us what our house payments will be, I shudder! My apartment rent right now is only 580/month!

The subdivision is called Rivermist and is being developed by Centex. It is a "cookie cutter" neighborhood which is what we wanted after living in a 50+ year old house for the past 5 yrs. Most of our friends live in these new neighborhoods, lots of young families which is good for my wife and kids. They've got houses ranging from 1389 sq ft - 3000+ sq ft. The location is perfect for the medical center, but not so much for the military hospitals.

You certainly aren't in a hurry time wise, but Centex has been raising their prices in this area by about a $1000 every couple of months. We secured our contract with just a $500 deposit, but won't be closing till May.

My personal experience buying our first house was a nightmare. We had a buyer's agreement signed with a brain damaged realtor, literally. We almost walked away from the deal at closing because the realtors for both sides didn't have the paperwork lined up. In the end, the manager of the Real estate office smoothed things through and we took the house, which is a good thing because the housing market here has soared over the past 5 yrs.

My advice: 1) Get to know your realtor before signing a contract with them. Our Dain Bramaged one came through the USAA Movers Advantage program.
2) Buy as much as you can comfortably afford. As previously mentioned in another post, SA real estated is poised for some good times.
3) Don't buy more than you can afford. I've known people who bought houses, but couldn't afford to furnish them!
4) If you do buy new construction, consider using a discount broker to get some $$$ back. Send me a private message if you want more info on this.

Disclaimer: This advice is worth what you paid for it!!! :D

I'll save you guys the research on realtors in SA. We looked at a number of realtors down here and settled with a man named Ron Bonner with Keller-Williams realty. His website is http://ronbonner.yourkwagent.com/home This guy is a total workhorse. He does more market research than any agent I have ever used. He wants to sell the house that is right for you and your particular situation. We looked at a couple of places that were great, but after he did the market research he wouldn't let us buy them (at a more expensive price than we ended up buying, so he's not just a comission hog!) My wife corresponded with him daily from about January to about June. He visited places for us while we were in Indiana, took photos, emailed them and gave us his honest opinion. Seriously, this guy is good. We actually made a friend in the process, and are supposed to have drinks with him and his wife soon. He won't steer you wrong. if you call him, tell him "Dr. Steve" says hi. And no, there's no kickback to me, he's just so good I want to get the word out. Enjoy him. Steve

We got the house we bid on! I'm very excited! Thanks for all of the advice!

grayce79 said:
We got the house we bid on! I'm very excited! Thanks for all of the advice!
Grayce79,

I PM'd you. Thanks.