Any significant downsides to delaying boards to 1 year after residency completion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dggopal

Fluffy McFlufferson
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am strongly considering delaying my boards to next year. I just graduated IM residency and joined a chief residency in patient safety and quality.

There are a bunch of mitigating circumstances which have taken my attention off studying and we can discuss them all but at this point my question is very basic:

Will there be any future professional downside to me delaying board exams and passing them next year?

I wish to pursue hospitalist medicine with a focus on administrative time or even academic medicine (work towards program directorship)

Members don't see this ad.

No downside to your career but I would encourage you to just suck it up and take them. The longer you wait the more painful it becomes. In the unlikely event that you fail, then you can just take them next year as you planned anyway with again no downside.

This is not a gunner exam, you just need to pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only if your job absolutely requires board certification. Otherwise the vast majority are fine with just board eligible (check with any place you're employed or wish to be employed, some will have stipulations).

The biggest downside to waiting is you're going to forget a lot of little things. Those "trivia" type of facts, some test taking skills, etc that you have to play catch up with.

So I am strongly considering delaying my boards to next year. I just graduated IM residency and joined a chief residency in patient safety and quality.

There are a bunch of mitigating circumstances which have taken my attention off studying and we can discuss them all but at this point my question is very basic:

Will there be any future professional downside to me delaying board exams and passing them next year?

I wish to pursue hospitalist medicine with a focus on administrative time or even academic medicine (work towards program directorship)

all you have to do is PASS

so all things being equal, just go take it . . .

but most employers will pay for your exam, and I know I waited to take my pulmonary until I started my job so that they would do just that

if they will cut you check to take them during this chief year, do it, otherwise wait until someone else will pay for it

You have 7 years to pass it. There's no downside as long as you pass it in that time. I had several friends who waited until the year after residency to take it so their employer would pay for it (employer wouldn't pay if the cost was incurred before they started employment). NBD.