Any reports on Emory or Yale OPEN HOUSE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ubercoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am wondering what people thought about the open houses for Emory and/or Yale?

I made it to Yale, not Emory...I wish the schools would NOT schedule these things on the same day :thumbdown:

People seemed very nice at Yale..though I wonder how disruptive having a brand new dean coming in will be for the school? It could be a total plus having a really energetic guy come in from Harvard. I was a little spooked unfortunately on the degree of prof. contact for certain programs...? Its so hard to tell.

I would love to hear any gut instincts on Emory!

later,
ubercoo

Members don't see this ad.

Ubercoo -
No insight on Emory, but I would be very interested to hear more about Yale's open house (I couldn't make it up there).
For example:
- What impressions about strengths and weaknesses of the school or program did you walk away with? (Which program are you considering, anyway)
- Was there talk of what things in specific might change under the new Dean? Or other general upcoming changes that wouldn't be apparent from their website (such as new faculty, initiatives, etc)?
- What did you mean by the following?:
ubercoo said:
I was a little spooked unfortunately on the degree of prof. contact for certain programs...? Its so hard to tell.

I'd be curious to hear whatever other relevant details or overall impressions you'd like to share. Feel free to be in touch with me privately if you don't want to post it all on here.

Thanks!

Hey there,

I went to Yale's open house and was more impressed than I expected to be. Here's why:

1) The policy division seems very dynamic. The faculty work with the belief that the next lifesaving public health innovation will be in health policy. Also, there is almost a 2-1 faculty student ratio. Opportunity for all to work closely with faculty. Little interaction with only TAs. The new Dean is a health policy guy from Harvard. Further, your degree program can be targeted toward your interest. In the policy division, I have 9 electives -- many of which I would take in the global division.

2) The EPH facilities aren't amazing, but the Yale facilities at large are. Including more libraries than you'll ever need, shuttle transportation 24-7 from anywhere in New Haven to anywhere in New Haven. Largest gym on a University campus.

3) Great integration with Yale at large -- you can take classes at any of the professional schools (for no extra charge) provided you get the approval of the professor (including management, law, medicine, divinity, etc.).

4) Each and every student, from the student panelists to the random person I met at 2:30 am on a Yale shuttle, absolutely loves the program and thinks it worth every penny -- they often cited the great faculty student ratio and the timely, relevant course work.

5) For me, the pedogogy is right on target -- theirs is a conceptual, intellectual approach rather than an applied method.

The cost of the program remains the downside for me. I hope this is helpful. Please ask any specific questions you may have. Also, please (!) provide impressions of Emory if there are any out there.

Thank you!!