Any regrets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Macgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is directed towards any canadians or americans studying in Ireland. Do any of you regret the decision to go to Ireland for med school? Anything specifically you really hate or really love about the schools and the city in which you are studying?

I'm applying for fall 2005 and I'm just trying to find out as much stuff as possible.

I'm outtie.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely not. I made the right decision for me and am really happy here, and have gotten lucky with opportunities here. School is a drag anywhere and can get tedious, but at the same time, it's all interesting. I like the lifestyle...you have to do a lot of work, but you still have time to participate heavily in extracurriculars (I row for the college, which is a massive time demand) - this is one of the reasons I came here - and time to party :). The one con is that Irish schools in general aren't the most efficient, there's a bit of paper pushing and you never find things out when you want to...but if you can get around it and be more patient/laid back, it's alright.

It sometimes is really annoying having your college be a major tourist attraction, especially around exam time. But it's alright.

I would love to go to Ireland for medical school, but it's hard to find reliable information.

My question is this:
What is the thing you hate most about the whole process? It may be something that is easily overwhelmed by all the good things... and that leads to my next question...

What is your favorite thing about going to school in Ireland?

I'm not looking for all the "I miss my family" responses, because that's a given. I'm looking for things about the medical education.

Am I making sense? I've had too much coffee today.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is something that you can learn to get over pretty handily...but the most annoying thing is inefficiency. I realized that the US is definitely a work culture, and as such, we're used to having things done when we want them and efficiently. Here, you can't expect people or offices to open on time, or to be able to give you answers straight away. You never find out anything until just before it's meant to happen.

For instance, I'm meant to start clinical rotations this coming Monday. As of yet, a mere 3 working days before starting, all I know is that I'm supposed to be doing a surgical rotation. I don't know which consultant or team leader to meet with, what team and what area I'm rotating in, where exactly I'm supposed to go, what our hours are, what I'm supposed to be prepared to know, etc. This can get very annoying. It can carry into how classes/clinicals are run too, sometimes. A lecturer misses for some reason and somehow, the students aren't told, and while usually that's a good thing, it can be an infuriating waste of time. People end up skipping. There was one time a lecturer sent us notes for his lecture the night before the exam. One of the canadian students got so annoyed, she sent a whole diatribe about this lecturer to the class, and I still have it in my inbox, it's so funny. And banks are open from 10 - 4. That is so annoying.

But in general, you learn to be patient and everything works out fine. You also learn to rely on yourself and your own resources. And if you've got good classmates, you work together too :).

Favorite thing: the life. It's partly why i chose to come here. Time to work, time to enjoy the things you love doing (for me, sports), and time to party. Great people too. I think I've met closer friends here than all my years back home. And campus bar is awesome.

Thanks, leorl. That is very helpful, and something to think about.

One more thing (ha! I always say that, then keep going) - what is the biggest difference (educationally) that you can tell? (Maybe from talking to friends in US med schools?)

The main difference, and I consider this to be a plus - the timing. Since med school here is still a 5 or 6 yr. undergrad degree vs. a four year course, things aren't so crammed. At Trinity, you take 2 years to do anatomy and neuroanatomy, instead of cramming everything into a year...or even worse...3 months. Physiology for me was spread out over 2 years, although it didn't quite make sense to do it that way and they've changed it to 1 year, but still...not as crammed. We have 3 clinical years instead of just 2, so theoretically, more practice and more patient exposure. I also consider that to be a plus, but will have to see if time is wasted due to inefficiency.

But for the most part, I think the main difference is that things are a little more spread out so it's not constant cramming. I think our breaks are longer too, which also accommodates the longer timespan for the course, although breaks get shorter as you become upperclassmen. This system allows you to actually have a life outside of med school for involvement in ECs (I row at a high level here, something I would not have been able to continue if I had gone to a US school), and also gives time to get a job during the summers to relieve the financial situation just a tiny bit and give some spending money. I got really lucky with the job I have, which is doing research and am now working on my 1st paper as 1st author - this is what I meant by having opportunities here. In the US, there just isn't time for all that.

In 2007, medicine will become a 4 yr. postgraduate degree here like it is in the US now. I'm not sure how this will change things, and it won't apply to me.

Oh, and I might get flamed for saying it, but a good difference is the people. In my class, we really work together. People email out their notes (!), and in general everyone tries to help everyone else. This definitely does not happen in the US at any school I can think of, no matter how nice the students are, because of the type of people entering US med schools. You know what I mean - classic Type A personalities. It is really refreshing not having to deal with that, although some classes aren't so lucky.

Hey Leorl,

thanks for all the great answers. I just have a question about the summertime. Do most of the Canadians and Americans stay in Ireland for the summer or go back home?

Macgirl, most go home or go travelling, depending on where they're from. Especially the summer after the first year. Or, they stick around and try to get a job here, and go home for a couple weeks. My first year, I stayed for most of the summer and did research, and went home for 2 weeks in September. A couple of the other Americans stayed here the first few weeks of summer, then went home for the rest of break. This year, more Americans stayed but went home for a couple weeks or went travelling around europe and ireland.

Leorl - I sent you a PM.