Any recommendations for international/global psychiatric conferences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kluver Bucy

Gold Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone to or plan to go to any week-long international psychiatric conferences? If so, do you have any recommendations?

I noticed that the Global Conference on Madness is at Oxford in September, but it is philosophy/humanities oriented and I don't know that my program would give me educational leave for it. The European Conference on Schizophrenia Research, which will take place in Berlin, this September but only for three days. The International Federation for Psychotherapy World Congress of Psychotherapy is in Lucerne, Switzerland but not until June, 2010.

Am I alone in wanting to attend international psychiatric conferences or do others share this interest?

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you are in the US?

A few of the big longish conferences depend a little on your interests.

The Winter Workshop in Schizophrenia is held in February, I think it has moved from Davos to St. Moritz. It's usually a week long. it is excellent, well worth going to.

ECNP is another excellent conference, it moves between 4 or 5 european cities. Budapest this year in Sept or Oct I think.

Am I alone in wanting to attend international psychiatric conferences or do others share this interest?

I share your interest! I'm just starting residency this summer so I'm not quite ready to attend conferences yet, but I'd love to keep track of what is going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume you are in the US?

A few of the big longish conferences depend a little on your interests.

The Winter Workshop in Schizophrenia is held in February, I think it has moved from Davos to St. Moritz. It's usually a week long. it is excellent, well worth going to.

ECNP is another excellent conference, it moves between 4 or 5 european cities. Budapest this year in Sept or Oct I think.

Here's a list of worldwide psychiatry conferences, but it's not very extensive: http://www.conferencealerts.com/psychiatry.htm
The one I'm most interested in that list is the psychopharmacology one in Hong Kong in June, but information is limited at this time.
I'm looking into the two that you mentioned. Skiing St. Moritz is on my bucket list but I don''t know if I could afford a week there on a resident's salary -- maybe if a bunch of residents shared a place. ECNP is in Istanbul, Turkey 12 - 16 September 2009. They give price breaks to residents -- 100 Euros instead of 700. It's gotta be expensive to get there though relative to Western Europe.

world psychiatric association
http://www.wpanet.org

i used to get emails asking for posters to some psychiatric conference held in argentina i think, but i cant find them and google isnt helping since i dont have the right keywords. my mentor had been to that conference a couple of times and really liked it.