Any Preventative Medicine Residents out there??HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghandoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there,
i'm a 2nd year med student interested in doing preventative medicine residency after med school. i've always been interested in Public health so i'll be very excited to do this residency.

i have a couple of questions ...
1. i'm told by most schools that i have to do a transitional year of clinical work before getting into the preventative residency...how easy is it to transiition or get inot the transitional year and then get into the preventative residency>?
2. How stressfull/tiresome are those 2 years of prevenative residency. i know the transitional year will probably be stressfull but how are those 2 years like?
i don't have an MPH so i'll be getting it then.
3. do you personally some docs who do not have a primary care speciality but only have preventive medicine and what do they do? i'm just a little nervous about doing just preventive medicine...what are the job prospects?? how much are they paid? and do they feel like the years of training as an MD/ the clinical skills etc they learned come into use at all in their day to day careers? its really hard to find anyone who's done what i want to do.
Also i'm originally from Ghana and i want to go home and help with this residency cos i feel like a lot of our health problems are preventable. but i'd like to work here for a while and gain some experience to do that.
please let me know what you think, in a bind here.....
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The American College of Preventive Medicine is one of their societies. You should contact them; they may be able to provide you some names of folks in practice who are in/near your area. I think you will get the best info from someone who has gone that route.

You might want to check how you're spelling the specialty. You might get a poor response from skin docs if you ask about dertmatatology.

mike

hi there,
i'm a 2nd year med student interested in doing preventative medicine residency after med school. i've always been interested in Public health so i'll be very excited to do this residency.

1. i'm told by most schools that i have to do a transitional year of clinical work before getting into the preventative residency...how easy is it to transiition or get inot the transitional year and then get into the preventative residency>?
2. How stressfull/tiresome are those 2 years of prevenative residency. i know the transitional year will probably be stressfull but how are those 2 years like?
3. do you personally some docs who do not have a primary care speciality but only have preventive medicine and what do they do? i'm just a little nervous about doing just preventive medicine...what are the job prospects?? how much are they paid? and do they feel like the years of training as an MD/ the clinical skills etc they learned come into use at all in their day to day careers? its really hard to find anyone who's done what i want to do.
Also i'm originally from Ghana and i want to go home and help with this residency cos i feel like a lot of our health problems are preventable. but i'd like to work here for a while and gain some experience to do that.
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
how difficult is it to get a preventive medicine residency position with just 1 or 2 years of postgraduate training at the time of application?

do most programs only seriously consider applicants who have already completed a primary care specialty?

how competitive is it to get a preventive medicine residency position?

please reply. thank you.

It's not very competitive at all - one reason is b/c most med students don't even know about it, and perhaps b/c it isn't a "high paying specialty," (if you suscribe to that kind of thinking.) 3rd and 4th year, all attendings will ask you, at least twice during your rotation (so it adds up to about 13215648494 times before you graduate) what you want to go into. When I would answer "public health," some would say "Wow" and others would go "how do you do that, do you go through residency?", and even once I got "Why are you in medicine then?" LOL. This field has a good outlook, we will be very much in demand.

I think it's a great field, population based medicine is so much more interesting than clinical medicine IMHO. and I happen to love epi and biostats!

Check out - http://www.acpm.org

whats the difference between a general preventive medicine and a public health residency? i know both are subdivisions of preventive medicine, along with occupational medicine and aerospace medicine.

whats the difference between a general preventive medicine and a public health residency? i know both are subdivisions of preventive medicine, along with occupational medicine and aerospace medicine.

In simple terms I would say a prev med focus is more like a primary care clinician, where you are focusing on primary and secondary prevention for patients. So you will have more of a clinical emphasis during your training.

A public health focus, may entail much more administration level training - like setting up public health programs, epi studies, guidelines for health care providers, etc...

So PGY1 years are basically the same internship-type of setting, PGY2 years are a little more specific to what you want to do (MPH academic year), and PGY3 year is where the road splits like I mentioned above.

In simple terms I would say a prev med focus is more like a primary care clinician, where you are focusing on primary and secondary prevention for patients. So you will have more of a clinical emphasis during your training.

A public health focus, may entail much more administration level training - like setting up public health programs, epi studies, guidelines for health care providers, etc...

So PGY1 years are basically the same internship-type of setting, PGY2 years are a little more specific to what you want to do (MPH academic year), and PGY3 year is where the road splits like I mentioned above.

hey E Z Daring what do you plan on doing with your prev med residency and is this the only residency you are doing? and if you don't mind going inot details about your hours at residency(quality of life) and for your future job.
thanks

if you complete a public health residency, are you board eligible? if so, which board? (i.e. public health? preventive medicine?)

also, is it difficult to land a job after completing a public health residency?

hey EZ Daring, thanks for the previous great replies!

hi there,

thanks

If there's too many of you preventatative medicine docs out there all the rest of us regular docs are gonna be outta werk!:eek: