any practicing DPTs in here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synthesizer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
to any/all DPTs, i'd just like to know if you enjoy your job, or have any regrets (like becoming a DO instead).

how is the job field? it seems many other fields related to medicine have become very saturated and job demand is really low.

i'll just state my problem here... i had originally planned on going to pharmacy school, then i looked into DO programs and decided i wanted to do that. so i started shadowing an orthopedic surgeon down at his hospital. i loved what he did. he was very smart, careful, and caring... all qualities that i admired in him. only problem is that i really did not like the hospital environment. i'd spend all day down there, and when i was done, i just wanted to shoot myself. everyone was so morbid and looked so strung out. it was seriously depressing for me. other than the doctor i was with, everyone else there seemed to hate their job. aside from that, the residents on rotation all looked like death. i would speak to all of them, as new ones were constantly coming in, and they made it sound like their lives were a living hell. with that being said, i've ruled out DO because i simply can not work 80+ hours a week as a resident for 5 years, in that eery environment, around people that hate their life. i easily get dragged down by the people around me, and i feel like i'd be setting myself up for definite suicide. lol

so i went back to considering pharmacy, but after doing a lot of research, it seems that field is over-saturated already, and jobs are getting increasingly harder to come by. not to mention the whole centralized distribution center they opened in FL. i know a few people who now receive all of their meds through the mail from Orlando. they never even have to talk to a pharmacist. i just think that the day of the pharmacist is coming to an end real soon...

i looked into chiropractic medicine, if you can even call it that, and i feel like to be good at that, you have to be able to seriously bull**** and manipulate people. i am not bashing DCs, as i know one and he is great at what he does, but i am not a fan of a lot of their ways of thinking/reasoning. there were also a few posts about how low the salary is as a new DC, and that pretty much did it for me. no more DC...

so concerning a doctor of physical therapy, what do you guys think? i've got a masters of science degree in exercise science, so i really enjoy anything/everything to do with the musculoskeletal system. i also have a real passion for diet and nutrition related wellness.

if anyone actually read all of this, i REALLY appreciate it. the point of this thread is to maybe get some suggestions on what i might be able to do. maybe suggest some fields i can look into. thanks to anyone who helps! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think there are several threads already on this topic. I love my job but don't really have time to explain why. I have in the past on other threads. Look for the threads and if you can't find them re-post.

It seems to me that you were chasing a lot of the jobs that make mucho dinero $$$. If money is a big concern (>100k), than PT might not cut it for you. Try getting out there and shadowing a few PTs, just like you did in the DO situation. If you are concerned about job satisfaction it will vary from person to person.

In undergrad, I considered MD (to follow my dad's footsteps, make money, etc). In the end, PT fit me better. After a year of practicing, I still am happy with my decision. I do find myself wondering how my life would be if I were an MD/DO but there is no way I am going back to med school.

Have you tried shadowing at a different hospital or at a private MD/DO clinic? That may change your mind. Or have you tried posting in the med student forum? They may help you see MD/DO in a different light (for better or worse).

One thing is for sure, the PT field is usually known for high job satisfaction. If you truly like exercise science, it may be a better fit for you. That's ultimately why I chose it.