Any positions outside the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toby2

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am preparing to make the switch from pathology to Family Medicine. However, my timing is very bad because everything's basically over as far as the match goes. Does anybody know how to go about finding programs with open spots outside of the match? Are there any websites which post this info or do you just have to start calling all the PDs?

I am also wondering if anyone knows the best rural programs where the residents get to do a lot of procedures? The areas of the country I am most interested in are NC, TN, VA, GA, AZ and warmer areas of Colorado. Preferably unopposed program. A big plus would be a program with a rural fellowship, and a sports fellowship either in the program or nearby.

Is this asking too much? Are there programs like this out there with vacancies?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, you should definitely contact our program in Knoxville, Tennessee. In fact, we have a PGY2 that did a year and a half of path before switching to FM. He is one of our brightest residents and everyone benefits from his experience in path. He started mid year last year, which is what you sound like you want to do. I'm sure our PD would be glad to talk to more candidates like him.

American Academy of Family Physicians
(800) 288-2668

This number lists the current vacant positions in FM in residencies.

Good luck... plenty of PGY 2 open positions out there not just in FM.