Any PM&R positions available for displaced LSU residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wscott

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I am a fourth year resident at Louisiana State University's PM&R program. Due to Hurricane Katrina, it is likely our program will be reconstructing itself through the remainder of my residency. As such, my director and chairman have been seeking alternative options for rotations across the the country to fill our remaining time or until the residency is restored. They are also in the process of setting up alternatives within Louisiana, but several residents are interested in out of state electives, including myself and my fiancee who is also PGY-4 PM&R. The logistics may be difficult as funding from our end is limited, however if anyone has any leads we would appreciate it.

My fiancee and I were specifically looking to gain experience in the rotations we had scheduled for the remaining time this year. This included 4months of EMG (for her), O&P(both), research(both), a couple of months of inpatient, 3months of injections (me), cardiac rehab(both), Peds(me) - I believe that covers most of it.

We would like to stay together and in the same location through the duration. If you have a lead for us or my colleagues in our program, please post the program, directors name and contact info if you can.

Despite this, we take comfort in our confidence that LSU PM&R will one day soon, be the solid program the adminstration and residents worked hard to create prior to this disaster.

Thanks for your input

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope things work out well for both you and your fiance.

The Medical College of Wisconsin will have an opening by January 1, 2006. They may be looking for a PGY-2/3 but I would talk to them anyways.

They have most of what you're looking for. EMG would be with Dr. Wertsch or Dillingham who are both well-known and published. The pain rotation at the VA provides good injection experience. We have 3 peds PMR docs who work at the children's hospital. We do not have a specific cardiac rehab component.

The program director is Fred Klingbeil. You can reach his secretary at 414-266-2560.

Good luck!

There was an email sent out to all the pM&R academic institutions about displaced residents from the ACGME I think...... I can't seem to find that email.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw there was a post that RUSH in chicago was trying to accomodate the displaced PM&R residents froM LSU.

TreeOfLife said:
I saw there was a post that RUSH in chicago was trying to accomodate the displaced PM&R residents froM LSU.
To the PM&R residents of New Orleans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In light of the tragedy Hurricane Katrina left behind, Rush University in Chicago has made preparations to try and attempt to place residents in appropriate residencies to continue their education. There is a PM&R residency at RUSH and if any PGY-2 or PGY-3 is interested in continuing on with their residency we may be able to accomodate them. Please get in touch with me if you should need further information regarding the process of contacting the department. We wish you the best of luck personally and professionally.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by CAPM&R : 09-11-2005 at 05:43 AM. Reason: spelling error

wscott said:
Hello to all,

I am a fourth year resident at Louisiana State University's PM&R program. Due to Hurricane Katrina, it is likely our program will be reconstructing itself through the remainder of my residency. As such, my director and chairman have been seeking alternative options for rotations across the the country to fill our remaining time or until the residency is restored. They are also in the process of setting up alternatives within Louisiana, but several residents are interested in out of state electives, including myself and my fiancee who is also PGY-4 PM&R. The logistics may be difficult as funding from our end is limited, however if anyone has any leads we would appreciate it.

My fiancee and I were specifically looking to gain experience in the rotations we had scheduled for the remaining time this year. This included 4months of EMG (for her), O&P(both), research(both), a couple of months of inpatient, 3months of injections (me), cardiac rehab(both), Peds(me) - I believe that covers most of it.

We would like to stay together and in the same location through the duration. If you have a lead for us or my colleagues in our program, please post the program, directors name and contact info if you can.

Despite this, we take comfort in our confidence that LSU PM&R will one day soon, be the solid program the adminstration and residents worked hard to create prior to this disaster.

Thanks for your input

Wscott, his fiance, and I, are co-residents, friends, and fellow refugees at present.

If anyone knows of positions either previously available to all residents, or ones that have been made available since Hurricane Katrina, please either post them here, or, if your preference is to contact us privately, please either PM one of us, or email me at [email protected]

Bill and Jen (aka wscott and his fiance) are two of the nicest, most conscientious residents I worked with during the course of my training, so if any program directors or potential fellow residents wish to get a feel for their prospective co-workers, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Lastly, if any of you might be able to point me in the direction of potential interventional fellowships, as many of you know, I was previously to have started with Dr. Charles Aprill this upcoming January. That seems far less likely today, so if any opportunities are available at your home institution or elsewhere that you are aware of, I would be grateful if you could keep me in mind.

Thanks in advance for your kindness

Peter