any pharmacists with CCW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you have a CCW?

• Yes... but i dont//cant carry at work

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Yes and i do//can carry at work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • what the hell is "CCW"

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters

vardenafil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any retail pharmacists have a CCW permit? do you carry to work? does your company you work for frown upon this?

Members don't see this ad.

how would they know.....if it's concealed?

I would imagine employers would frown upon it. I mean, if they don't allow cell phones I seriously doubt they're going to embrace concealed weapons!

But if it makes you feel more comfortable, you have a permit and it isn't against the law in the building you're in, then carry if you wish. I would not recommend telling your coworkers though because not everyone is going to approve.

I have a hard time imagining any chain letting you carry at work, but as I don't work for any big chains, I have no idea whether their guidelines specifically state that you cannot carry. Imagine the news if the media found out..."pharmacists packing guns, not pills", it'd be ridiculous. Unless you owned your own pharmacy or worked for an independent, I highly doubt it would happen. And as for hospitals, I think even with a carry permit, it's still prohibited, kinda like how you can't be carrying to school or a courthouse. Regardless, you'd have to do a lot of research on that, as well as the fact that coworkers might find out, the responsibility of carrying a firearm day in and day out, being prepared to shoot someone threatening your life and others, the possibility of hitting a bystander in a crowded pharmacy...it's tough.

Even if CCW wasn't specifically prohibited, if you ever clear leather for any reason, you might have to find a new job. Of course if you ever do that I would think a job would be the least of your worries, at least not until you deal with the police, prosecutors, possible civil suits, etc.

2 years ago, when someone killed a pharmacist at Shands in Jacksonville, we were just told to just have higher situational awareness and how to contact security...as if we didn't know before. I've been in my fair share of patient arguments, and it was pretty disconcerting to think about how someone could just come back with a burner and start shooting at us.

Of course, I'm sure there are those who keep them really concealed regardless of legality or if it's a gray area. You know, better to be caught with one, than be caught without one. I value my job and not being sent to pound-me-in-the-*** prison too much to do that, but some feel differently and value their life more, which I can understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off I have one and I am an avid shooter. Second, why would you want to carry while you are at work? Maybe if you owned your own pharmacy but even then you have insurance to cover losses. Honestly, if someone wants to rob me they can have what ever they want. Its not worth my life or my employees lives.

First off I have one and I am an avid shooter. Second, why would you want to carry while you are at work? Maybe if you owned your own pharmacy but even then you have insurance to cover losses. Honestly, if someone wants to rob me they can have what ever they want. Its not worth my life or my employees lives.

I go shooting at Garland Public Range on Pleasant Valley RD...

And I'm not very good with my glock.. so be aware...

All the big chains have rules against bringing weapons onto their property (which means you can't even keep your gun in your car.) I'd imagine that most smaller places and hospitals have such rules as well.

i see nothing wrong with a pharmacist carrying a weapon. when people rob you, they don't always just leave without violence.

also if you are working in a ghetto store, i think it should be allowed 100%. you need to worry about you. this is America and i believe people should be allowed to protect themselves even with a firearm. too many laws hurting those who obey the laws. not enough protection from those who break the law.

if i was in a store and got robbed/injured in a robbery, i would probably sure the chain for failing to provide me with adequate protection.

only reason i bring this up is that my store has been robbed twice at gun point in the last 3 weeks. and management doesnt seem to be doing anything about it. i do not feel safe at work anymore. half my techs do not feel safe. i brought this up to my DPM and he pretty much blew me off. i do not want to loose my job if they find out. and im not saying if someone threatened me id go rambo on him. but if things get hair i want my life in my own hands and not some drugged up robbers. but im trying to leave that chain and go to another so it may work out better?

oh by the way sig 220 for me =) but got to love those glocks

I don't have a problem with pharmacists carrying a weapon at work, if they have been trained properly. I seriously doubt that the big chains will ever see it this way though; all it takes is one loose cannon, and there's major liability hassles, unwanted media attention, etc.