Any pharmacists here drive nice cars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Acura of course...now that I wont be traveling....I no longer need it. Its been a great trouble free vehicle.

Car looks exceptionally clean- congrats on a quick sell.

Members don't see this ad.

Car looks exceptionally clean- congrats on a quick sell.

Thanks dood... I just used it to travel long distance.. was putting about 25,000 miles per year on business. No reason for the car to be in bad shape. The stock paint job is excellent and I typically take care of my things.

Members don't see this ad :)
When i first saw you post years ago, didn't you have an e46 M3? So you upgraded to the e90 in recent yrs? :thumbup:

I myself cannot seem to pull the trigger on a used 07-08 BMW 335i coupe. Found some good deals and low mileage for like $25k but after a year of saving, I can't part ways with the cash, lol.

Too many HPFP problems with the 07-08 ones. If you're going to get a 335i, might as well be an 11+ even though it has a less tunable engine.

It's an 11 year old car with 187,000 miles.

Don't be envious.

Paperweights! :smuggrin:

img8494s.jpg

img8495i.jpg

img8496f.jpg

img8497q.jpg

img8499vt.jpg

img8506k.jpg

img8507r.jpg

It's the infamous IMS bearing.
Had it retrofitted with a cermaic bearing.

I think it's a bearing for a Porsche Boxster. Did you have a failure? Did you have to replace it? Looks like a fairly involved job.

I think it's a bearing for a Porsche Boxster. Did you have a failure? Did you have to replace it? Looks like a fairly involved job.

It's not for a Boxster. No, I did not have a failure. This was a pre-emptive retrofit with LN-Engineering bearing to prevent a catastrophic engine failure.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMS bearing failures were in 996, 997, & 986 engines.

Finally Porsche did away with it in 2008.

Last edited:
This thread needs more pictures...

Absolutely sick. I think I mentioned I saw one of these IRL a few weeks ago? Simply crazy... a very grown-up, elegant, supercar - one that I could actually see myself owning (if, you know, I had $150k and nothing else to spend it on).

Anyway, if it's pitchers you want, here's some from my excursion this weekend:

2011 Corning Harvest Festival

Lots of very nice stuff - mostly street rods and muscle cars, but also a HUGE collection of old tractors and other farm equipment (which I unfortunately didn't get any pictures of...)

And awesome kettle corn. <3

IMG_4687.jpg

Unf.

New pics of the 2013 Hyundai Genesis were leaked. I'll probably never get one because the interior will be inferior to the other car brands (BMW, Infiniti, Benz, and Audi), but damn, the exterior looks sick.

hyundai-genesis-coupe_100369347_m.jpg

hyundai-genesis-coupe_100369346_m.jpg

Why anyone would buy a hyundai over a honda is beyond me. Same with a KIA.

Why anyone would buy a hyundai over a honda is beyond me. Same with a KIA.

Hyundai/Kia are seriously stepping up their game. They're offering surprisingly good cars and (decreasing, but still significant) lower prices. My dad bought a new Sonata last year, quite well equipped, for a hair over $23k. He got a lot of car for his money.

Word is now that the new Genesis coupe will get the Tau V8... on pure specs, that will be a serious competitor for the Mustang GT/Camaro SS (and I wouldn't doubt it'll be lighter, too.)

Hyundai/Kia are seriously stepping up their game. They're offering surprisingly good cars and (decreasing, but still significant) lower prices. My dad bought a new Sonata last year, quite well equipped, for a hair over $23k. He got a lot of car for his money.

Word is now that the new Genesis coupe will get the Tau V8... on pure specs, that will be a serious competitor for the Mustang GT/Camaro SS (and I wouldn't doubt it'll be lighter, too.)

You can put lipstick on a pig...

Anyone going to the LA Auto Show? Someone needs to take pics! It starts on Friday and goes through Thanksgiving weekend.

Don't really want to resurrect a 2 yr old thread, but it's about time to put my 2000 accord out to pasture. Im done with my student loans, and we recently decided to mobilize emergency fund to pay off most of my wife's, down to last $15k left.

Don't really want to pay a buttload for a new car, but is embarrassing to park in the MD/exec spots. Not only that, mine's probably the oldest car in a neighborhood where 1/2 of the cars are luxury brands. Since looking for the right used car takes a while, figured better start now.

What I'm thing something that fits in based on some excuse but still affordable, maybe up to around $40k. A bit more fun than the corolla, accord I've driving so far would be a bonus. Don't really need to be practical since we got a CRV and Odyssey minivan already. Currently looking at:

3 yrs used: excuse = luxury that fits in the crowd
BMW 328i/528i/Z4
Mercedes E350/SLK250
Porche boxter
Lexus IS350/GS350
Infinity G37
Acura TL

New: excuse = new/wacky coolness
Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS
Mini cooper
Upcoming Acura TLX

Eco: excuse = white-collar tree hugger out to make a statement
Toyota Prius

Any thoughts from those who are more car oriented?

Last edited:
Don't really want to resurrect a 2 yr old thread, but it's about time to put my 2000 accord out to pasture. Im done with my student loans, and we recently decided to mobilize emergency fund to pay off most of my wife's, down to last $15k left.

Don't really want to pay a buttload for a new car, but is embarrassing to park in the MD/exec spots. Not only that, mine's probably the oldest car in a neighborhood where 1/2 of the cars are luxury brands. Since looking for the right used car takes a while, figured better start now.

What I'm thing something that fits in based on some excuse but still affordable, maybe up to around $40k. A bit more fun than the corolla, accord I've driving so far would be a bonus. Don't really need to be practical since we got a CRV and Odyssey minivan already. Currently looking at:

BMW 328i/528i/Z4
Mercedes E350/SLK250
Porche boxter
Lexus IS350/GS350
Infinity G37
Acura TL

Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS
Mini cooper
Upcoming Acura TLX

Toyota Prius

You are literally all over the map. From a 4 door luxury brand (that you should count on buying a warranty for, btw) to a little 2-seater sports car....and everything in between.

Wants/Needs/Would be nice/What youll be using the car for

So far all I know is youre embaressed by your Honda.

BMW 328i/528i/Z4
Mercedes E350/SLK250
Porche boxter
Lexus IS350/GS350
Infinity G37
Acura TL

Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS
Mini cooper
Upcoming Acura TLX

Toyota Prius

If you're gonna get a BRZ/FRS, make sure you get it in manual transmission.

driving my 2000 Honda accord that I bought with cash back in 2003. Even moved from Ohio to Texas driving this puppy.

Don't needs a shiny new car that does nothing but depreciates. I'm thinking about starting a scholarship fund for gifted kids in backward parts of China that are too poor to attend universities. It's much more rewarding to contribute to the advancement of human race. Besides, if I waste money on a hotrod, my wife might get suspicious when i come home late. :smuggrin:

Just read my own post from over 2 yes ago, how time flies. I still agree with the logical conclusion that cars are a terrible money sink and is no investment. However the social norm and expectations are indeed powerful. Even if you don't agree with the Romans, when you are in Rome...

You are literally all over the map. From a 4 door luxury brand (that you should count on buying a warranty for, btw) to a little 2-seater sports car....and everything in between.

Wants/Needs/Would be nice/What youll be using the car for

So far all I know is youre embaressed by your Honda.

I don't really know what I want at this point. Like I said, I've only had corolla and accord. Basically I'm just looking at the lot/neighborhood and throw in a few novel ones that I can explain why I drive one.

Go with a 2013 or 14 GS350...certified pre-owned with <30,000k miles. Can pick one up for around $38-43K. They are completely decked out, as many if not more bells/whistles than a BMW, Audi or Benz. Plus much cheaper maintenance and such since it's Lexus (Toyota).

Last edited:
I don't really know what I want at this point. Like I said, I've only had corolla and accord. Basically I'm just looking at the lot/neighborhood and throw in a few novel ones that I can explain why I drive one.

Wait until there is an auto show in your town and check it out. Great way to jump in/out of many cars across many badges to figure out what you like/dont like without some sap trying to pressure you.

In the meantime geta nice $150 car detailing on the Honda. It will be good for resale, anyway.

As a car "girl" a clean, well maintained vehicle is more impressive than a BMW with brake dust COATED on the $3000 rims. /2cents

I'm just a Pharmacy student, but even afterwards I will drive the same car.

I have a 5 speed 87 Pontiac Fiero GT, being repainted blood red, with a turbocharged and water/methanol cooled 3800 v6 stuffed in the back. Lowered on a koni coilover suspension, with c4 corvette brakes. Last dyno before turbo and injector upgrades ran 330lb torque, going for 400+ with the new turbo. W00t!

Fast is an understatement. Bought it as a little gift to myself when I got backpay from the Department of Veterans Affairs for my disability. Always dreamed of having one. I need to upgrade the engine management system to megasquirt with a ford DIS system for ignition. The current system doesn't play well with rapid retuning of the fuel maps.

Car is a work in progress and will need a lot done to it when I get my first job as a Pharmacist. It's sitting at a friend's paint shop right now in Florida. There are some photos of it stripped down for paint in this album:

http://s362.photobucket.com/user/jasonaaronfox/library/87 GT

Last edited:
Get two cars. A daily, and a car just to cruise with and put less miles with.

Subaru BRZ - manual transmission as a daily

And get the Acura NSX when it comes out as your boss car.

Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMW 328i/528i/Z4
Mercedes E350/SLK250
Porche boxter
Lexus IS350/GS350
Infinity G37
Acura TL

Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS
Mini cooper
Upcoming Acura TLX

Toyota Prius

Don't get a Lexus they are just expensive Toyotas.

BRZ/FRS - definitely fun and affordable, a decked out one can be had easily for <$30k. And most wouldn't know about it or how much it cost, might never even heard of Scion brand. Easiest one on the wallet by a mile.

GS350 - the most reliable of all. But redesigned in 2013, so if you want to buy the current model, it's hard to find one under $40K. But if I could, it certainly would be cheaper in the long run to maintain than BWMs or Mercedes.

BMW 3/5, Mercedes E - the iconic choices. They are so popular for a reason, so I can do worse than just be another.

G37 or TLX: more affordable than BMW and MB, but less brand recognition. Can't go wrong with saving some money by going semi-luxury either.

Z4/SLK/Boxter: well, like I said, I don't need another practical car, so if I really just want a fun ride... :)

Prius: Cheap to get. I can fit in by pretending to care about saving trees. Saves on gas, but the least fun of them all.

BRZ/FRS - definitely fun and affordable, a decked out one can be had easily for <$30k. And most wouldn't know about it or how much it cost, might never even heard of Scion brand. Easiest one on the wallet by a mile.

GS350 - the most reliable of all. But redesigned in 2013, so if you want to buy the current model, it's hard to find one under $40K. But if I could, it certainly would be cheaper in the long run to maintain than BWMs or Mercedes.

BMW 3/5, Mercedes E - the iconic choices. They are so popular for a reason, so I can do worse than just be another.

G37 or TLX: more affordable than BMW and MB, but less brand recognition. Can't go wrong with saving some money by going semi-luxury either.

Z4/SLK/Boxter: well, like I said, I don't need another practical car, so if I really just want a fun ride... :)

Prius: Cheap to get. I can fit in by pretending to care about saving trees. Saves on gas, but the least fun of them all.

Can't say much about the other cars, but I own a Prius. It has great gas mileage if you commute long distances on the highway (got about 50mpg), but horrible if you're driving local streets and only going 5-10 miles per trip (dipped down to about 35-40 mpg).

I bought a new 2014 Altima when I found a permanent position. Not exactly a "nice car" by most people's standards, but I like it.

BMW 328i/528i/Z4
Mercedes E350/SLK250
Porche boxter
Lexus IS350/GS350
Infinity G37
Acura TL

Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS
Mini cooper
Upcoming Acura TLX

Toyota Prius

To hell with your damn Nazi and Tojo cars! Mere decades after they slaughtered millions of Jews and Chinese, here we are. Propping them back up. Our grandfathers that stormed the beaches of Normandy and Guadalcanal are spinning in their graves.

Combine Eco and Used luxury.

2013 Lincoln MKZ hybrid.

Because 'Murica.

Here soon, I'm gonna get a 2013 Ford Flex. I need the space to sleep in. Long story.

To hell with your damn Nazi and Tojo cars! Mere decades after they slaughtered millions of Jews and Chinese, here we are. Propping them back up. Our grandfathers that stormed the beaches of Normandy and Guadalcanal are spinning in their graves.

Combine Eco and Used luxury.

2013 Lincoln MKZ hybrid.

Because 'Murica.

Here soon, I'm gonna get a 2013 Ford Flex. I need the space to sleep in. Long story.

Is it just me or are Lincolns/ Cadillac / Buicks just conjur up images of old retirees?

Reactions: 1 user
I got a 2005 got a Pontiac G6. From time to time I do look at the Audi Q5.......

Can't say much about the other cars, but I own a Prius. It has great gas mileage if you commute long distances on the highway (got about 50mpg), but horrible if you're driving local streets and only going 5-10 miles per trip (dipped down to about 35-40 mpg).

I thought it gets better milage with city driving?

I know the 2015 model is going to be new generation, so it might be up to 6 months wait if I go this route. I'll look into it a bit more. Can wait until maybe august, but the old accord has like 4 warning/error lights on right now, lol.

Car is just to get from point A to point B. Prius all the way for me. I'll be boasting MPG while others burn their dollars on their fancy cars.

Buy whatever you want if you need it for fun, but don't let parking lot/peer pressure defines what you drive.

Reactions: 1 user
Car is just to get from point A to point B. Prius all the way for me. I'll be boasting MPG while others burn their dollars on their fancy cars.

The Prius option certainly appeals to me financially. It's cheap both to buy and fill up. Not sure about their long term reliability since it's a more complex power-train but it is a Toyota. There are few other Priuses, or is it Prii, in the neighborhood and I've seen at least 1 in the MD/exec lot. A good tool to cover up frugality by diverting car talks to "carbon footprints".

Two main draw backs: (1) not sure my accord can hold on until the new model comes out this fall, and (2) it'll make the accord feel like a racer. >_<

The Prius option certainly appeals to me financially. It's cheap both to buy and fill up. Not sure about their long term reliability since it's a more complex power-train but it is a Toyota. There are few other Priuses, or is it Prii, in the neighborhood and I've seen at least 1 in the MD/exec lot. A good tool to cover up frugality by diverting car talks to "carbon footprints".

Two main draw backs: (1) not sure my accord can hold on until the new model comes out this fall, and (2) it'll make the accord feel like a racer. >_<

I've had mine since 2007 and other than the routine maintenance + oil change, the only major issue was replacing the accessory battery last year. One perk is being able to fill up for less than $30/tank.

Is it just me or are Lincolns/ Cadillac / Buicks just conjur up images of old retirees?

Yeah. They drive comfortable ass cars. Which is what I drive. I'm not some dork who needs to pretend he's Mario Andretti on the Interstate with some super responsive ride that makes a pebble in the road feel like you drove over the Grand Canyon. Join us on the comfort wagon.

Yeah. They drive comfortable ass cars. Which is what I drive. I'm not some dork who needs to pretend he's Mario Andretti on the Interstate with some super responsive ride that makes a pebble in the road feel like you drove over the Grand Canyon. Join us on the comfort wagon.

I would like to point out that a properly lowered suspension doesn't feel like that. A good airbag system feels like a Cadillac even slammed. It's when some douch drops a car by cutting springs and not using coilovers/hydraulics/bags/etc... That it feels like ****.

Hey xiphoid, to me you don't really seem like a hardcore car enthusiast. But in my opinion, part of the reason to pay a premium for a BMW or Porsche is for the driving dynamics. To pay the premium just for the badge is a waste.

But anyway, after I became a pharmacist, I also felt the urge to get a luxury sports sedan, and I bought a Lexus IS 250. It was nice to zip around in because of the RWD and weight balance. But when you're just commuting, the sporty suspension and chassis makes you feel all the bumps and potholes. I also started to get irritated by the road noise coming from the sporty tires and the front ones wore out after 20k mi. Plus it's quite a small car and the back seat is very cramped. I think the BMW 3 series is similar, but I have only test driven them, and have never owned one.

You left out Audi in your list, but that's what I have now (A6), and I'm very happy with it. Big and roomy, feels solid, smooth and quiet. Exterior design is conservative, interior design is modern and cohesive. Also, with similar options levels, Audis come out a few thousand dollars cheaper than BMWs and Benzes.