Any pharmacists here drive nice cars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The part of town I'm working at, a new car would just be asking for people to break into. One of othe pharmacist had his catalytic converter stolen in broad daylight in the hospital parking lot. I mean WTF?! Nobody in the parking lot found it strange that someone is sawing away under a car or alert the security? :mad:
My freshman year that happened to about 4 cars (that we heard about) on campus. There was this one parking lot way out far from the rest of campus, but since we have enough parking for about 70% of our students, that "overflow" lot was always full. So you'd park there, and trek off to your classes in a hurry, considering you had about a 10 minute walk to your class that starts in 3 minutes. No surprise that people weren't really paying attention to what was going on in that lot. I guess you can sell a catalytic converter for a quick few hundred bucks to a scrapyard.

Members don't see this ad.

currently driving a 2010 mercedes C63 beast

All my hate. :mad: heh... I'd love a C63 but I just don't think I could stomach 12-14 mpg... I may compromise on a used C350, now that they've bumped the hp to 300+ and at least tried to make it into proper competition for the 335i/CTS/etc.

And it turns out my car has a twin on campus!... sadly it is louder than mine. :lame:

I approve. I'm also a P1 at UAMS, and I drive a 2000 SS Camaro...with a few mods

So I've heard! Definitely need to hear this thing in person... that video clip sounded beastly.

Right now I'm driving a measly Pontiac G6, but that's purely for utility. I'm currently spending 50% of my class time trying to decide what car to buy when I graduate.

How about some input? What would you choose out of a Porsche Boxster, Jaguar XK, or BMW Z4? I'm really just interested in a convertible that's fun to drive and looks nice to boot.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about some input? What would you choose out of a Porsche Boxster, Jaguar XK, or BMW Z4? I'm really just interested in a convertible that's fun to drive and looks nice to boot.

A friend of mine just bought a used Z4 3.0si coupe... he absolutely loves it. Decently quick, handles like a dream, you look like a rock star getting out of it (since the coupes are sort of rare, no one knows what the hell it is). Does have a pretty rough ride, but that just goes with the territory.

Eh... not really much help with convertibles sadly, since I've never been that crazy about them... maybe a TT?

Right now I'm driving a measly Pontiac G6, but that's purely for utility. I'm currently spending 50% of my class time trying to decide what car to buy when I graduate.

The XK is a lot more expensive than the other two. I would choose that one if you could afford it. The Boxster is probably a better car technically. The Bimmer is better in terms of comfort and luxury. I would also look at the Benz SLK.

Back in high school, in my mechanical engineering days, I was all about having a nice car. 7 years since my high school graduation, I'm a little more pragmatic. I intend to spend my money on a solid 10,000 - 20,000 vehicle and use the saved money on a brand new raging gaming PC and to pay off some loans.

Back in high school, in my mechanical engineering days, I was all about having a nice car. 7 years since my high school graduation, I'm a little more pragmatic. I intend to spend my money on a solid 10,000 - 20,000 vehicle and use the saved money on a brand new raging gaming PC and to pay off some loans.

Damn i was reading this and thinking i haven't matured a lot since i still want the same car i wanted in high school, an Audi (A7 now) but than i read the bold part:smuggrin::smuggrin:

Damn i was reading this and thinking i haven't matured a lot since i still want the same car i wanted in high school, an Audi (A7 now) but than i read the bold part:smuggrin::smuggrin:

A top of the line gaming computer is 3 grand tops. A VW Jetta + gaming computer will still be less than that A7. :p

During P4 year, I wanted to badly buy a used 370z after getting a job. Now, I've decided to concentrate on paying off my student loans. Once that's done, I'll look again at the 370z.

A top of the line gaming computer is 3 grand tops. A VW Jetta + gaming computer will still be less than that A7. :p

damn, the projector alone's gonna cost at least twice that, unless you're scrimping, and then it's no longer top of the line

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a i7-2600k, water-cooled, stable overclock at 4.5ghz...12gb RAM...80SSD...cost me $1000 to build.

I got my old PC (quad-core q6600) hooked up to my front room flat screen. I got a 2TB external HDD hooked up to it. I use it solely as a multimedia device. Download movies right to the eHDD...watch them on windows media player on my computer..1080p...seamlessly...still pretty decent for a 4 year old rig....

...or I could be some insecure douchebag in a BWM...lmao. Whenever I see anyone in a car worth more than like $30k...first thing I think is "Wow, what a *******."

To each their own brand of financial stupidity.

just try to find joys in the simple things of life now. avoid the materialistic. you will end up working so hard for things you dont really care about to impress some people who wouldn't accepted you in the first place.

I got a i7-2600k, water-cooled, stable overclock at 4.5ghz...12gb RAM...80SSD...cost me $1000 to build.
Your processor alone is over $300, SSD is another 200-300, graphics card $200 more. I know ram is dirt cheap right now and you probably didn't buy Windows, but how the hell did you add water cooling for around $100?

I got my old PC (quad-core q6600) hooked up to my front room flat screen. I got a 2TB external HDD hooked up to it. I use it solely as a multimedia device. Download movies right to the eHDD...watch them on windows media player on my computer..1080p...seamlessly...still pretty decent for a 4 year old rig....

...or I could be some insecure douchebag in a BWM...lmao. Whenever I see anyone in a car worth more than like $30k...first thing I think is "Wow, what a *******."

Is water cooling even necessary for 4.5ghz on a 2600k? You probably could have saved yourself another $100 and got the 2500k as well. Of course, if you're going to blow money, better on a sweet PC than a car, but this sounds like overkill for a miser like you :laugh:

Lol...let the flaming begin...hows the overnight shift going?

If anyone is interested, here are some pics of my Corvette that i mentioned in an earlier post in this thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-...n-artic-white-apr-and-corvette-creationz.html

You guys should also post up pics, curious to see what we're driving

Not a fan of the boxster. The Z4 is a nice looking car. The XK is sick. Jaguar just showed off their new cx-16 concept, it might be the next generation XK

During P4 year, I wanted to badly buy a used 370z after getting a job. Now, I've decided to concentrate on paying off my student loans. Once that's done, I'll look again at the 370z.

My bro has a 370z. It's a sick car. Beautiful.

Us dentists prefer buying those "nice" cars from you pharmacists. We let you drive them off the lot, absorb a huge junk of depreciation, break them in real nice, then sell them for a third of what you paid! Works out nice. :laugh:

Since we all showing pictures.....right now i drive a 2008 Dodge Charger SXT with a 3.5L HO engine which gives only 250HP:scared:. I know it does't have much juice but who can afford to drive a 5.1L hemi engine at this economy. Certainly not a poor pharmacy student :p:p

Anyway here is a pic of it......

226605_10100652600290603_2241098_63590911_6711844_n.jpg

Last edited:
Since we all showing pictures.....right now i drive a 2008 Dodge Charger SXT with a 3.5L HO engine which gives only 250HP:scared:. I know it does't have much juice but who can afford to drive a 5.1L hemi engine at this economy. Certainly not a poor pharmacy student :p:p

At least the engine is connected to the right wheels. :smuggrin:

Is water cooling even necessary for 4.5ghz on a 2600k? You probably could have saved yourself another $100 and got the 2500k as well. Of course, if you're going to blow money, better on a sweet PC than a car, but this sounds like overkill for a miser like you :laugh:

Yes. People have fried them at 4.5ghz. I'm not taking chances. **** is my Nationwide policy. And I need all the power I can get. I have half as much time as I usually do...I encode and edit HD video.

And my receipts added up to $1008. Go shopping, people. I know how to save money.

Your processor alone is over $300, SSD is another 200-300, graphics card $200 more. I know ram is dirt cheap right now and you probably didn't buy Windows, but how the hell did you add water cooling for around $100?

Ah, I see...yeah, don't need a discrete graphics card for my computing applications. Read up on the z68 motherboard, playa. Though I just ganked one from an older machine just to have it in there...

Yes. People have fried them at 4.5ghz. I'm not taking chances. **** is my Nationwide policy. And I need all the power I can get. I have half as much time as I usually do...I encode and edit HD video.

And my receipts added up to $1008. Go shopping, people. I know how to save money.

Fair enough. I used to run my 920 at 4.0 ghz but I dropped it back to stock when I realized I couldn't afford to replace it anymore :laugh: I don't even notice any difference except when I'm encoding video though.

what kinds of storage situations do you guys have? just hit 10 terabytes the other day, mostly high def video. Once you get addicted to blu ray series, at around 300gb/show it adds up fast. Not switching to SSD's until i can buy tb's at a time and afford to back everything up for the same price as traditional rotating drives. SSDs may be fast for gaming and everyday use but they are still wayy behind the curve for long term storage of large amounts of data

Also, 12 second boot time from an SSD doesnt seem that hot. Ive averaged around 10-11 seconds on an energy efficient "green" traditional hard disk drive. It's all about configuration

Last edited:
I don't really store video. I collective have like 5TB of space, but I'm not a hoarder. Anything you want is more or less readily available. The only things I save are WVU games I record myself, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, and some movies. I keep Inglorious Basterds because I watch that movie like once a month.

test.png

I'm pretty impressed by this Intel integrated graphics chip with its fancy,schmancy Virtu gpu switching. I'm only OCing to like 4.43ghz and I'm getting 50-55FPS on Handbrake encoding 1080i video (x.264). That's pretty damn ridiculous compared to my old rig where I was doing like 15FPS with 720p video. I wonder what I could do really pushing the envelope of 5Ghz...

Last edited:
Us dentists prefer buying those "nice" cars from you pharmacists. We let you drive them off the lot, absorb a huge junk of depreciation, break them in real nice, then sell them for a third of what you paid! Works out nice. :laugh:

That's because dentists are too busy buying custom ti Serottas and other road bikes so they look cool when they show up to the weekend group ride.

i know plenty of rph who drive audi, porsche, bmw

but if you are a new grad i wouldnt recommend it...do what i do: a 200 per month nissan....you dont know if you'll like your first job, so dont take on huge sums of liabilities

Thread needs less computers and more cars IMO.

Cadillac_Cts-v_Sport_Wagon_10.jpg

So. Much. Want.

Eww..I'm not a fan of any station wagon, but to each his own I guess.

gt3rs2010_01_opta.jpg

Another 8 or 9 years :D

My boss when I worked at CVS drove a VW GTI. His wife always told him it was time to get a grown up car.

Then I'll be my own boss and have no wife ;)

Livin' the posh independent life baby

But in all seriousness...I would never go out with a girl who wouldn't be understanding of my passion for cars. So I don't think that your bosses issue will ever be mine.

Then I'll be my own boss and have no wife ;)

Livin' the posh independent life baby

But in all seriousness...I would never go out with a girl who wouldn't be understanding of my passion for cars. So I don't think that your bosses issue will ever be mine.

Guys marry girls hoping they will stay the same, but girls won't. Girls marry guys hoping to change them, but guys won't. :laugh:

Joking aside, that's the truth brother. But you'll get use to the nagging and learn to compromise over time. Heck, I miss that now after being apart for a month due to work. Maybe I need my head checked. Lol

I still don't understand how so many of you are driving these nicer cars with a pharmacist salary and student loans to pay off. Maybe it's because I live in CA and the cost of living is higher here but still 60k+ cars when my take home pay before rent/bills/food/loans/403(b)/Roth IRA/liquor(due to everything else) is 72k a year? you guys must be making a F ton more money than I am to be affording a Lambo, much less a BMW/Audi/MB.

93 Nissan 300zx turbo with 155k BTW. It gets bad MPG but it makes me happy, is all paid for, and runs like a champ.

I haven't read farther into this thread yet, but if someone else hasn't answered you yet, most of the individuals driving nicer cars are leasing them or they were gifted to them by their fairly well-to-do parents. (not a knock at anyone, its ok by me if you fall into this category). My lease payment on my car is less than the payment of someone I know who is financing a Honda and my car cost 15K more.